Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-10-2004, 10:47 AM
Active Pup

Question New dog owner needs help

Even that I like to take care cute little animals and I had cats for many years I never had a dog. Never until now. So as a new and inexperienced dog owner I have some questions and I seek for your experience and knowledge to help me.

1. First of all I am wondering in what breed my dog belongs. I have attached some pictures of him that may help you.

2. Although he seems like a little harmless puppy he is a bite-maniac. He wants to bite everything. Branches, trees, grass, walls, door, bones, garbage, cats even me I am in his menu. For the most things that I had refer above I donít really care if he bites them or not. My only concern is me and the cats. I can repel him but the cats donít. He isnít aggressive against the cats instead they sleep together and eat together but they canít play together. When the dog is in playful mood he chase the cats to bite them. Many times grabs them from the neck and he donít leave them even if they shout painfully. I am afraid that he will accidentally struggle them. What I could do to stop this behavior?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:32 AM
Felurian

Petros, your little puppy looks suspiciously like a Great Pyrenees pup. They're a herding breed, beautiful, intelligent, dominant, loyal, brave, loving, affectionate, protective, sometimes quite stubborn, and very hairy.

He's probably trying to herd the cats. While he's still a pup and doesn't know his own strength, it's a good idea to supervise him when he's with the cats. It would be a good idea to have a room that the cats can get into but he can't; maybe put a cat door in one of the doors to the room with the litterbox. That will also keep you from having to deal with him finding out the litterbox is also known as a dog's candy box. UGH!

You might want to read about Great Pyrenees. A good place to start is a www.molosserdogs.com .

I'd write more, but I need to get off the computer as we're getting ready to have a thunderstorm! In December!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
ó Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-10-2004, 12:23 PM
Top Dog

I was going to guess Great Pyrenees also at first glance of pictures. Friend of a friend bred them. Gorgeous animals, but like Renee said, herding dogs. Like I've said before, people need to research and understand the natural instincts in the breed of dog before even trying to attempt to adapt as humans to them. I think once you do this, you'll understand why the dog is behaving in a certain way.

For example, I've read in my research of Westies, that someone actually set up sort of like a sandbox where the owner would bury certain things each day and let their Westie go and find them. BTW Westie's were bred to hunt varmits. I've been trying to conjure up a contraption for my own.

Anyhow Back on subject. I would definately supervise the interaction with the pup and cats. But, I think at first they don't seem to get along, animals are great at adapting to eachother after a while. They do learn to respect eachother's spaces. Some yelps and snarls in the meantime may be expected.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Top Dog

Brady looked very similar to that when he was a puppy. Very very similar. You can go to my pics and see what he looks like now as a big boy. He did a LOT of biting too. My woodwork around my doorway outside, vinyl on the house, knobs on the grill, his doghouse, titles to cars, bills, papers, he has an odd obsession with paper towels too (weirdo). Brady still tortures my cat but he does not hurt her, but she lets him. she has all her claws and if she wanted she could use them but she does not. He will be a mess for a while, believe me. Mine is over a year old and he is still a mess. But I was told he was a lab/golden retreiver mix. His tail and ears and paws don't look like either so I am not sure what he is. I honestly think his mother was a lab mix (I saw her and she was about 45 pounds) who got together with a Great Pyr mix and he is at around 75 pounds now.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Labrador lover!!!!!

Talking

Oh to me he/she looks like a retreiver puppy!!!!And they bite as much as the Lab does i should no ive got two!!!One puppy one 8 years old!!And my puppy lab always bites everything he sees!!lol
Anyway good luck of finding out what breed!!!
Oh cute pics!!!
6 bunnies~fluffy, muffin,bugsy, buttons,twigglets,forsty
2 gerbils~cheese and pickels
2 g.pigs~buzz and dizzy
Old 12-10-2004, 01:07 PM
Top Dog

The coat seems to thick to be a lab. That's why I thought of Great Pyrenees. Could be the puppy (baby fat) fur. But I'm going to stick with my first assuption.

Would love to know myself now !
Old 12-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Labrador lover!!!!!

Talking

No i didnt say lab i said Retrevier!!
2 g.pigs~buzz and dizzy
Old 12-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Labrador lover!!!!!

Talking

No i did'nt say lab i said Retrevier!!
2 g.pigs~buzz and dizzy
Old 12-10-2004, 02:09 PM

I'm no help on the breed...but he is a cutie! Some puppies really get into chewing and biting. Just give him good chew toys of his own. Tell him 'no bite!' or whatever your choice when he bites you. As for the cat....sadly, my Addie still just does not get along with the cat...she never has. As previously stated..you just have to make sure there is a safe place for the cat to be. Both my dogs do know what the heck I mean when I yell 'stay away from that kitty!!!', but I'm always watching to protect her. Your puppy looks like a stuffed animal...OH, HE IS SWEET!!!! My whole point...they may never be pals. Your puppy probably thinks the cat is a playmate..like his old littermates. The cat will learn to stay away.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Corgi bum

When my Corgi, Chloe was a puppy, she liked to bite all of the time, and would bite really hard. Fortunately, they do grow out of it. When she would bite my hand, or try to attack the cats, I would very firmly say "NO BITE" and offer her one of her chew toys instead. After much repetition, she finally got the drift. Now, she still bites on my hand, but very gently. They just don't realize this at first. I would also say to have a peaceful room available for the cat to be able to get to. My cats also had to go through this when I had two puppies at one time. Now they are the best of friends and play great together.

I hope this helps a little.