Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Can you just use a fake name?

ETA: I have a US number I could totally text them from, you could just try using my name? Or I could use a fake name?

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Behavior Nerd

Yes, but not now that she has my number - that ship has sailed. We may have another local person who can go get the dog, but she hasn't responded to emails yet. I'm going to be out of town at dockdogs regionals this weekend, so my friend (who tried and was googled) is going to coordinate anything. One of those "if it was meant to be it'll happen" sort of deals now.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Top Dog

Most people don't know those contracts aren't that legally binding. I think they're doing a pretty good job at making sure it goes to a good home... Usually $80 is enough to ward off the people that get a dog they can't afford, so they have that down...but I don't tho k going through all the trouble you are going through is worth it as they're not doing THAT bad of a job. But, you said agree to disagree I just wanted to out my 2 cents out there...

She is definitely a cutie.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you canít eat money." ĖNative American proverb
Old 06-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Top Dog

Yeah cause rehoming a Malinois on CL is a GENIUS idea of a placement.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:32 AM
Top Dog

You can't hold everyone by the standards that we go by. For the average dog owner, I'd say what they are doing is better than most.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you canít eat money." ĖNative American proverb
Old 06-28-2012, 02:33 AM
Top Dog

And I've used Craigslist before to find homes for dogs. I dont personally see an issue with Craigslist as long as you screen.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Behavior Nerd

Honestly, I'd rather see them asking a tooon of questions about the home and *not* having a contract than not asking *any* questions and having a contract.

Seems to be moot now - someone I knew who was interested in keeping the dog herself got an email back that the woman is holding onto the dog instead because she had too many inquiries from "dog flippers". This could be a great thing, or it could mean that she'll be rehomed in 6 months when she's "too much" again. :\

Old 06-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Top Dog

So sad. I wish the best for tthat Puppy.

CL is an inappropriate place to advertise dogs for GOOD homes. The likelihood of a good placement off CL is very low no matter how much screening you do.

I hold everyone to the same standard. That's part of the problem...people lower their standards on a case by case basis.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Honestly they may not be a terrible person, could you as a trainer re-contact and offer training to help her keep the dog peacefully?

I have used CL many times to reach out and network my own foster dogs. I also screen and will not rehome to a home that does not agree the dog returns to me. I don't charge anything for fosters either so I suppose that is even worse for some people on the outside looking in.

I think it's silly to believe you cannot find a good home on an online newspaper when you have someone like Erin, a person we're all cheering on as the best option for this pup, finding it on CL.

I do hope the pup is in good hands, I think contacting, offering help, and bringing light to the breeder is the best option right now.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Top Dog

I know I'm in the super small minority but I'll go ahead and add a few things.

First on craigslist when you text someone, especially on weekdays you text then leave it. You don't text then call. If they had an email and a phone # ok. Email could have been blocked so that is an ok but if you are calling AND texting the same phone its a bit much.

Then when you are told no and you mention friends or have friends call for you I mean that sounds off. I don't blame them for saying no. while you have to be safe about who you meet so does the seller. If you come across as dodgy and pushy how do they know that isn't how you'll be when they meet up? I personally don't sell to females anymore just because of the sheer number of crazies I've dealt with. So I don't blame anyone for being cautious.

Also I showed that dog to people who like dogs but don't know breeds and they ALL said they thought it was a shepherd mix and would definitely not pay $80 for. And despite what you know the breed is worth $80 is quite a bit for a craigslist dog.

And I understand it didn't work out but this sounds like someone who does care about the dog. They aren't giving the dog to any schmuck with $80. If they were you would have her now.

Closed Thread