Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Just for the end point: both dogs you posted are what BC people call "red" which is Bb..also called red in Dobermans, Chocolate in Labd, Liver in Flat-coats, etc. I've never heard it called chocolate in BCs but it's the same gene and in same ways calling it that would be less confusing since "red" can also refer to a clear sable (like my Kim) or an ee red/yellow dog (like Irish setters, golden retrievers, yellow Labs or FCRs, etc). All three "reds" are seen in BCs (though the Bb version seen in your pics is by far the most common red so far as I know)
Tahnk you! Like I said, clueless about colors/breeding/etc lol.

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
OMG why have I never seen Finn?!?! Again, can I clone him!? hahah. He's super adorable. I agree, I loooveee his coat. How much does he weigh? He sounds/looks like a very fun guy with a great personality.
Finn is actually Jason's pup, he never posts pics! LOL He is pretty awesome, I am quite fond of him He is 26-27 lbs right now I think. We think he'll top out around 30-35 lbs. He's small.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Let it be

Bandit is fine with laziness and fine with lots of activity. He is great with kids, cats and other dogs though large, obnoxious males are not his prefered playmates. He sheds like a lot though and has a very thick coat.

There is so much variation in this breed it's pretty easy to find what you want in terms of energy level, shedding and looks. You do have to accept they are quirky though.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
Finn is actually Jason's pup, he never posts pics! LOL He is pretty awesome, I am quite fond of him He is 26-27 lbs right now I think. We think he'll top out around 30-35 lbs. He's small.
Awww, well I just love him. What a perfect size too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
Bandit is fine with laziness and fine with lots of activity. He is great with kids, cats and other dogs though large, obnoxious males are not his prefered playmates. He sheds like a lot though and has a very thick coat.

There is so much variation in this breed it's pretty easy to find what you want in terms of energy level, shedding and looks. You do have to accept they are quirky though.
Hey, I am used to quirky - Jackson is certainly a quirky little dude at times.

Thank you guys!

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Kaydee

Just offering my three cents, I had a BC for three years. They're beautiful, possibly one of the most intelligent breeds out there and the fur really isn't as high maintenence as it looks.

On the downside the intelligence can work against you, have those yummy electric wires taped UNDER the rug out of her reach? A BC will find them, all of them. Ten foot cyclone fence...with one little bitty defect at ground level, maybe a 8 inch gap...behind a bush...she will be through that hole and out faster than you can blink.

I would say the exercise is a must, can be broken up through the day but BC's aren't ideal for long periods in small apartments-we tried. Like any dog they will find ways to amuse themselves if they're bored. In a highly intelligent breed that can lead to some really creative house redecorating. They make absolutely PERFECT running partners though.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:50 PM
Let it be

My BC did fine in an apartment on the 14th floor. He also does not get into anything except REALLY tasty garbage when he hasn't been fed. He's no dummy nor is he really lazy. He just has an amazing off switch and from what I've heard from a lot of people he isn't an abnormal find in the breed either. Maybe not as common as a more high needs one but not a once in a blue moon find ei ther.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:22 AM
and Fozzie B!

In summary... I highly recommend buying a puppy from a SUPERB breeder and meet the parents BEFORE you pay a deposit or sign anything. Spend as much time with the parents as you possibly can! Because they are a good reflection of the energy level, drive and personality your puppy will have. For me, it'd be very important that the parents lived in the home, so that the breeder has dogs that you can live with who have a good off-switch and good manners. If either of the parents are annoying psychos, your puppy will probably be one too. When me and my friend went to see a litter of red BC puppies, we only got to meet the Mom and she was caraaayzayyy! Super hyper, annoyingly submissive and creepy, jumping on everyone and barking. I would not have taken one of her puppies. And my friend took the most squirmy, high energy puppy to top it off! She turned out to be one of the most irritating, unstable, neurotic, hyper dogs I've ever met. I remember meeting Gonzo's dad (he was a breeder re-home, he got seized from his original buyer) and he was chill but he was also very old. I didn't get to meet his Mom and that should have thrown up red flags for me. But, he was neglected/abused in his first home anyway so that changes things a lot.

If you want a dog who is friendly and stable with kids and dogs, I recommend either getting a puppy from GREAT parents, who you see interacting with children and small dogs (preferably Jackson) or an adult rescue who is in a foster home, like 1 1/2 years or more so their personality is known.

Generally, I feel like BCs are the best with small dogs, of any type of dog. Most BCs I know are grumpy with rude, large dogs and at least ok with medium and small dogs. Literally every single BC at the pet hotel (this is based on hundreds of dogs) had to be in either small or medium dog group, never large dog group! Very few of them had to be individuals, and we never had an issue with them bullying or herding even tiny 1 lb dogs. A lot of BCs do not like children so it's important to get a 8-12 week old puppy from friendly, confident, easy going parents & socialize the heck out of him or an adult rescue who has been thoroughly tested with children.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 06-28-2012, 01:20 AM
Let it be

Bandit is like that. His favorite playmates are small dogs because he does not like obnoxious rough ouse and he has realized even if they are the most annoying little twerps they can't hurt him.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:23 AM
Active Pup

Default cheap nba jerseys

I am new,predisposition you a advantageous date!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:02 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
Bandit is like that. His favorite playmates are small dogs because he does not like obnoxious rough ouse and he has realized even if they are the most annoying little twerps they can't hurt him.
Rory always gravitates towards the small dogs as well! I think bigger dogs intimidate him. He's so gentle with small dogs.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep