Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 06-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Active Pup

Default Dog won't stop "going at" sore area

Hello,

My eight year old Mini Schnauser has a small growth on her paw. The vet wants to remove it, but cannot until the irritation around it subsides. The vet wants to keep the dog in a "dog Halo" collar (those funnel shaped devices) until the irritation subsides. The problem is that the dog hates it and acts like she's being punished when wearing it.

Is there some other way to keep her from constantly licking and going after this area? I know that there is a product like Bitter Apple that is used to keep dogs from "mouthing" objects. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thank you,

DJ
Old 06-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Active Pup

They make blow up collars that look like little doughnuts that strap around their neck. You can also try putting a baby sock on the foot.
My office has a therapy laser that we use for lick granulomas, and hot spots. I don't know if your vet or anyone close by has one, but you could look into something like that.
Hope some of this helps you out, I know how difficult it can be to keep little lips off of things like that.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Active Pup

Hello,

My wife and I got some cling-type wrap that we wrapped loosely around the area. So far, the dog has not tried to go after the area. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess. Every once in a while, the dog investigates the wrap, but has not attempted to rip it or get under it. The wrap is clingy on both sides and can be removed without pulling on the dog's fur. So far, so good.

DJ