Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
I'd just supervise. From now on. If one day, when they are both older, everything is hunky dory and you trust both dogs, make your decision then. But for now, just have someone there to watch them.

With Chloe and Violet, if they're inside, I can trust them "alone" (running upstairs for something and coming right back down) for a few minutes, but would never truly leave them alone together. However, OUTSIDE is a complete other story. I don't even like to have them outside together even supervised. Violet likes to run (FAST) straight for Chloe, and smack into her. With Chloe being so small, it's just not a risk I want to take, with her possibly getting hurt. The only time I really let them out together is if we're on the patio (Violet only does that if Chloe's out in the open).
It's the opposite with Jackson and Bailey (my uncles 10 or 11 month old GSD).... I don't like him being inside with Bailey because it's just too small of a space and she's very rough with both mouthing/nipping and using her gigantic paws. But if we are outside in a large open area, they basically ignore each other, doing an occasional play bow and chase, but it typically ends quickly. But of course they don't live together so it'd be different. For a while there, they were seeing each other once a week but now we haven't seen her in a few weeks...

However, Jackson is pretty tough and he will stick up for himself and let her know what is NOT okay, so she tends to leave him alone. He's not a snarky dog in general but I can tell he doesn't really like her much - haha, and he usually loves almost every dog. Play styles are just completely different. However, my other uncle who flew in from out of town with his 2 year old Lab is living with them and he told me the other day that Bailey will NOT leave his dog alone but Gunner (the lab) is way too nice and tolerant so he won't stick up for himself and just lets her get away with it, lol.

But I would say it's gotten better as Bailey has aged and as they spent more time together, but I still don't really like them being in the same house or a small room together since she randomly will decide to pounce or whatever, and then there's not as much room for Jackson to get away.

I guess no real advice here except what every one else suggested... I would do walks together, supervised visits outside, etc. Crate/rotate WOULD suck. I know I've learned since being around my uncle's shepherd that, unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever have a GSD until Jackson is gone. I think it would be too much work for my sake and Jackson probably wouldn't really enjoy it.

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-27-2012, 04:45 PM
and Fozzie B!

Personally, I wouldn't keep them separate. Imo, the more Simi sees Pip as a DOG and learns to be gentle and play nice with her, the more reliable and safe they'll be around each other for life. I would never let them work it out on their own though... SUPERVISE diligently, and keep a tab on Simi so you can control her any time you need to. Maybe even keep a squirt bottle on hand and give her a little interruption if she's getting too mouthy or worked up. Instead of just restraining her when she's getting worked up, body block her away and have her down-stay until she is more relaxed. Teach her to practice self control.

Protect Pip and set boundaries for Simi, don't let Pip get overwhelmed or let Simi get away with being a brat. Keep a very very close eye on Simi for signs of overstimulation and keep the play sessions short and positive, when Simi has just had lots of exercise and is almost too exhausted to play. It would probably help to play LAT with Simi around Pip, so seeing her run around isn't super exciting. GSDs are very mouthy when they're playing with dogs of any size, so make sure you're working on her bite inhibition continuously.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Agility freak!

The other day I had Simi outside playing with her egge and mom brought Pip out on leash. Simi was not interested in seeing her at all, so I walked over to Pip, with the egge in my arms, and Simi went over, sniffed her, which I marked with a "yes!" and she came running over and I threw her egge. We did this a few more times. Since then mom and I have been doing more watched sessions in the house with them. This is basically Mom and I sitting about 4 feet from each other and Simi and Pip playing between us. We've been doing at least two a day and since we've started Simi has gotten noticeably more gentle with her. It's very promising!

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 07-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Top Dog

I think once she's out of the puppy-puppy stage, it'll be less of a worry. Goose, who is 45 lbs, but a solid tank, plays with Nog (all of 7 lbs) constantly
Old 07-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Agility freak!

I think they'll be great friends when Simi is a little more mature and Pip is a little bigger! As of right now, though, Simi is more obnoxious the more we keep her from Pip, so I think the little sessions until they're both ready will be good.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 07-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgilityPup View Post
The other day I had Simi outside playing with her egge and mom brought Pip out on leash. Simi was not interested in seeing her at all, so I walked over to Pip, with the egge in my arms, and Simi went over, sniffed her, which I marked with a "yes!" and she came running over and I threw her egge. We did this a few more times. Since then mom and I have been doing more watched sessions in the house with them. This is basically Mom and I sitting about 4 feet from each other and Simi and Pip playing between us. We've been doing at least two a day and since we've started Simi has gotten noticeably more gentle with her. It's very promising!
Yay! I think that's really good news!

Brit & Jackson