Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Top Dog

Don't be mad with him

If anyone's fault it is the neighbors and in a split second like that you did what you could.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Kaydee

I'm so sorry, sigh...I know just how you feel, right down to that humming unearthly yowl...that will stay with you for a long time. You're fortunate your neighbors were understanding. Unthinkable what could've happened if they called the police.

With the second cat Sophie caught I was in shadow but people across the street saw her. Nobody said anything but I later heard people talking about how that cat was mauled by a dog<shiver>...and the scene of the crime...I wasn't comfortable walking down that street even alone for a year after.

I was just so appalled with Sophie. But even as I was cleaning the blood off her mouth and whiskers and tending to the scratches on her face...just have to sadly be realistic...a dog is a dog is a domesticated animal, besides I don't freak when our cats kill something really unless they drop the remains in the house. gotta give Sophie the same leeway sometimes.

But no it is a horrible, hideous thing to witness, a cat is far different than say a mole...at least to us humans. Forgive the dog...forgive yourself, pray no more cats wander in.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Agility freak!

I can understand your anger. Our dogs have gotten cats before, and we've had to make changes in our lives to prevent it from happening, but even with a fence, we still end up with dogs in our fence. Dogs are animals, and animals are predictably UNPREDICTABLE. Especially when you have more than one or two outside and they get after something.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 06-26-2012, 11:25 PM
Top Dog

Thanks, everybody. I just finished burying him and I hope I did him justice. He was a nice enough little cat.

As for Bailey, I'm not mad mad...it's just hard not to anthropomorphize an animal that some stupid part of you feels should KNOW better. He knows when I need him, and he practically reads my mind when we are trailing together. It just hits me in the gut to be reminded that he doesn't "know." To him, that cat was no different than the coons or possums we spotlight in the woods or the rabbits he runs down in the yard (though I have no stomach for that either).

The neighbors did make a snide comment about us keeping a hunting dog on the property. Their kids were fence-jumpers, and I even came home one evening after work to find the (adult! well-educated!) husband IN MY DOG RUN retrieving a lost Frisbee. So on the one hand I'm rolling my eyes and blaming them up and down for not listening when I told them their cat needed to be kept out of my yard, but on the other hand I am sick to think of what happened. The cat didn't do anything wrong. He doesn't know better. He's old and hungry and can't climb back up the fence quick enough to get away =(

But I am grateful that they aren't angry: we have had incidents with Bailey in the past (not aggression or anything, but people think he's a pig dog which is controversial and incidentally not the case) and our other neighbor put rat poison in his run. So of course as the word spreads we will be keeping an eye out.

I'm sorry for all of you that have had similar experiences. I just can't get it out of my head. Poor little dude =(

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 06-27-2012, 04:15 AM
...ice road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydee View Post
Unthinkable what could've happened if they called the police.

The dog was in his own fenced yard... What could the police have POSSIBLY done?

I do feel sorry for the cat.. but like someone else said, a quick and efficient death by a dog in a yard is a lot more humane than most cats who are outdoors get
Old 06-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Top Dog

I'm sorry you had to go through this. Yeah...it's totally not your fault or your dog's. Those owners of the cat are irresponsible to say the least. It's their fault. People like that shouldn't have animals! I'm really sorry...very sad.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Top Dog

How very sad. Sad for you and sad for the cat..who not only had owners unconcerned about his welfare, but who met an early demise because of their irresponsible behavior.

Certainly not your fault, but that doesn't lessen the sadness of having to deal with such an issue. My dogs have thus far only been lethal to birds, which is sad enough. (although the birds build their nests in a Joshua tree. Every. Year. You'd think they'd learn that many times their nests fall out and try somewhere else....but no....)
Old 06-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Are you dead yet?

I feel so sad for the old kitty, that his people didn't care enough about him to keep him from entering your yard. Orange kitties are the best, too. RIP little dude.

Don't be angry at your dog. He's just doing what his dog brain tells him to, just like the cat was doing what his cat brain told him to when he was roaming into your yard. It was nobody's fault but the cat's owners.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Just try me..

I know exactly how you feel. I have had some cat killers. And I agree with other posters.. the police wouldn't have done a thing because the OP did nothing wrong. Now if they wanted to give a talking to, to the people who owned the cat.. that would be good.

If my pet rat strayed into someone's yard and their cat got it.. same deal.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydee View Post
You're fortunate your neighbors were understanding. Unthinkable what could've happened if they called the police.
There should be no recourse period. Your yard, their roaming animal. Even if they called the cops, nothing should happen.

We've had near misses with squirrels, asshat people's cats. On Dekka's farm people keep dropping cats. I certainly don't scope out the property before I let the pack out the door. It sucks if other people's animals die, as I don't want that to happen to anyone, but if it's on your property.. the recourse should be nil.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground