Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Top Dog

Default Bailey just killed a cat =(

...I can't even look at him. I keep trying to tell myself that to him it's the same as any wild animal...that he doesn't know that this was someone's beloved pet....

The cat has been in our (fenced) yard several times over the last few weeks and I alerted the owners, but they were unwilling/unable to keep him inside. He is quite old and must have gotten cornered...I opened the door to let the dogs out and B was down the steps before I could get to him. I heard the cat screaming but they were running and I couldn't catch him once he had it in his mouth. Oh my God it was the most awful sound I've ever heard I feel so terrible.

If I had just yelled at Bailey to come or to leave it be he might have been okay but I was hysterical and screaming and I wasn't thinking. It happened so fast and I was just praying it wasn't a cat even though I knew it was.

The owners aren't even mad..."he was old"...which means B won't be PTS but I feel like someone should be mad on behalf of this poor kitty. I am so absolutely heartbroken and sick. I should have paid better attention. He's killed feral cats but that's why I keep him in the yard now =(

R.I.P. little orange dude =(

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 06-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

Oh I'm sorry, how terrible. It wasn't your fault at all You can't be expected to have constant vigilance in your own yard. Very sad, I hope it never happens again, but please don't beat yourself up.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Top Dog

I'm so sorry I do hope you don't stay annoyed with Bailey. Bailey was just doing what was natural to him, he didn't know any better. It would be unfair to stay angry at him.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:26 PM
APBT crazy!

Poor kitty. I wouldn't stay mad at Bailey.. he is a dog and some dogs just can't be around cats.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Top Dog

{{hugs}} I'm so sorry!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 06-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

Aww I'm sorry . RIP little guy. If you are going to blame anyone, it should be the owners..you even warned them.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Top Dog

(((hugs))) I am so sorry. The best thing you can do is give it time. My sister's dog killed my cat in college. I was mad but not mad at her exactly - mad at me, mad at the circumstances, mad at animals in general. I eventually got over being mad and went to sad. Animals do animal things and sometimes it really sucks for us humans. (((((morehugs))))))

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 06-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Blackout

I'm so so sorry!

The irresponsible party here are the owners - they knew their cat was getting into someone's yard with dogs and they failed to keep him properly enclosed safely.

Bailey is a hunting dog - strong prey drive is part of his genetic package; it was prey - he went for it. You can't blame him for doing what was something so instinctual. Your dog is wonderfully trained but it is up to other people to keep their cats/pets/animals OUT of others yards. I'm even iffy with Katalin around smaller animals/birds - She's met cats only twice but I wouldn't trust her around them at this point...
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 06-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I'm sorry. I know it sucks. Knox got my mothers cat once, luckily he was okay. He just held him down/muzzle punched him and screamed, but he got a feral cat on our property recently, and it was just a baby. It's hard not to be mad, I know, because I was furious, but he doesn't know any better. Dogs don't have morals, they don't understand it was someone's pet, and frankly, they probably don't care :/

You're sad for the cat, but it will get better. RIP little kitty.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:43 PM
and Fozzie B!

NO ONE should be mad at Bailey... they allowed their cat to roam, you warned them, they didn't care enough about their cat to keep him inside and the cat wasn't smart enough to steer clear of dogs. Bailey acted on instinct - attacking a prey animal that was not only dumb enough to hang out in a yard that is frequented by dogs, but was intruding in his home. Honestly, I see it as natural selection.

The cat could've been hit by a car and suffered excruciating pain before dying. He could've been killed by a number of wild animals. He could have been tortured and killed by sick people. I feel that being quickly and efficiently killed by a dog is one of the most merciful ways a roaming cat can meet his end, especially at an old age, which outdoor cats rarely reach.

My neighbors had many cats who were constantly breeding that were outside 24/7. I saw them huddled on the porch in the rain, looking around for food, fighting with other cats, running into my garage and sleeping there!!!, all the time. I nearly hit all of them with my car in the dark several times... and I was going 20 mph. A lot of cars around here go 60. Dozens of their cats were hit by cars and killed by coyotes, and they continued to leave their cats outside. There was always one or two in my yard it seemed when I let my dogs out. Luckily for them, both of my dogs have herding drive but do not grip or kill. My dogs easily could have killed them if they wanted to, and I would never blame my dogs or feel guilty. It is ALL the cat owners fault, and honestly, what a sad and pointless life for a cat to live... just wandering around outside with no human contact. Why even have a cat?

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie