Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Grab's Avatar
Grab Grab is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,004
Default

I don't believe in physical discipline, but I do hope that all of them are facing serious (nonphysical) consequences at home. I'd be so, so horrified if I learned my child had acted that way. I do think that facing some sort of legal consequence, even if it resulted in community service, would perhaps have a more lasting effect in their minds.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Kat09Tails's Avatar
Kat09Tails Kat09Tails is offline
*Now with Snark*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upper Left hand corner, USA
Posts: 3,336
Default

To me the answer is fairly simple - can't follow the student code of conduct - being a bully- abusing the staff? You don't get to come back. Consider your sorry ass expelled.

While I understand that middleschoolers are some of the cruelest kids around to me this is 90% parenting FAIL. It wouldn't have even occurred to me at this age that you could talk to anyone - let alone an adult like this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Baxter'smybaby's Avatar
Baxter'smybaby Baxter'smybaby is offline
swimming upstream
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 21,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
As someone who was bullied in a similar fashion as a child/young teen, I seriously doubt she wants those kids in her yard, in her house, or anywhere near her again. Any respect they show will be false, and she knows it.
I guess my experiences were different--bullying made me stand up for myself-I'd have loved to have a bully at my house doing my work. Of course, I assume they'd need to be supervised while doing whatever work was decided upon--no opportunity for continued disrespect, and perhaps a lesson to be learned. While it may be unrealistic--it is likely what I would do if my kids behaved this way. You bet I didn't let my kids get away with disrespecting others.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-24-2012, 08:46 PM
BostonBanker's Avatar
BostonBanker BostonBanker is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 8,154
Default

Quote:
I guess my experiences were different--bullying made me stand up for myself-I'd have loved to have a bully at my house doing my work. Of course, I assume they'd need to be supervised while doing whatever work was decided upon--no opportunity for continued disrespect, and perhaps a lesson to be learned. While it may be unrealistic--it is likely what I would do if my kids behaved this way. You bet I didn't let my kids get away with disrespecting others.
I think in the long term it did for me as well, but back then, it just made me shut down. Even now as an adult, when I would handle new "abuse" very differently, I'm not sure how I'd react to seeing the people who were the bullies when I was a kid. I'm great now at staying very calm and just not giving people anything to bounce their anger or aggression off of, but I'm not sure I'd be nice.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-24-2012, 09:45 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
To me the answer is fairly simple - can't follow the student code of conduct - being a bully- abusing the staff? You don't get to come back. Consider your sorry ass expelled.

While I understand that middleschoolers are some of the cruelest kids around to me this is 90% parenting FAIL. It wouldn't have even occurred to me at this age that you could talk to anyone - let alone an adult like this.
I disagree with expelling them, cause it's exactly what they WANT. To be expelled enough that "hey look, I don't have to go to school!"

I also disagree with whoever said the parents should beat them to teach them a lesson. Then again, I'm a full believer in violence never being the answer.
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-24-2012, 11:21 PM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 4,996
Default

I think that they should be kicked off the bus for a looooong time. If you're an asshat on the bus you don't ride the bus and your parents have to move heaven and earth to figure out how to get you to and from school. They also should be kept out of all extra curricular actives for a long time--no sports, no dances, no clubs, nothing. All to be followed up with many hours of community service.....
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-24-2012, 11:39 PM
houlahoops's Avatar
houlahoops houlahoops is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
I think that they should be kicked off the bus for a looooong time. If you're an asshat on the bus you don't ride the bus and your parents have to move heaven and earth to figure out how to get you to and from school.
THIS. Absolutely a hundred percent.

It punishes the kid (by removing the opportunity to bully further in the same environment) and the parents (who now have to find alternate transportation and will be less inclined to ignore the fact that they screwed up too).

Having seen the video, I will say that I would be absolutely HORRIFIED to find out that my child did something like this, and am livid to see some of the parents' reactions (kids will be kids haha!). Bullsh*t kids will be kids. These children and their parents should be ashamed of themselves.
__________________
Emmy
"Well, don't let me be the moldy cheese in your refrigerator of hope." - Justin McKee

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-25-2012, 12:31 AM
Brattina88 Brattina88 is offline
treehugging clicker freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: OH
Posts: 12,766
Default

I only watched about 2mins of the video and it made me sick to my stomach....
With that being said, if that happened here, they would've called the police and stopped the bus and let the police handle it. Trust me, I was on a school bus when something like that happened. It should've been stopped right then and there, punishment after the fact never seems as effective. IMHO. That poor lady
__________________

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-25-2012, 01:20 AM
puppydog's Avatar
puppydog puppydog is offline
Tru evil has no pantyline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,498
Default

I swear, my children would be too terrified to come home if I found out they did that. They would be sentenced to long months of very hard labour and no privileges. Asshats is right!
__________________


Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-25-2012, 02:47 AM
Kat09Tails's Avatar
Kat09Tails Kat09Tails is offline
*Now with Snark*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upper Left hand corner, USA
Posts: 3,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I disagree with expelling them, cause it's exactly what they WANT. To be expelled enough that "hey look, I don't have to go to school!"

I also disagree with whoever said the parents should beat them to teach them a lesson. Then again, I'm a full believer in violence never being the answer.
Being expelled doesn't mean you don't have to go to school. It just means you have to go to school somewhere else. It means odds are new school, new friends, and a little bit of inconvenience and shame along with it. When someone screwed up when I was in school it usually caused you to have to spend a year or two either being homeschooled, at the alternative school, at the school in the local juv hall, or the next district over.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site