Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Top Dog

How much do you know about his life before you got him?

I know some dogs that have been kept in small places for quite a while can get use to just going to the bathroom in their area.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Are you living with a boyfriend/hubby? Anyone else? Can you honestly arrange for someone to stay at home with him for a few weeks and ditch the crate? Tether him to you 24/7 and train him that way. Maybe even paper train in an ex-pen or something..I don't really like that way, but it sounds like you need to do something different for him.
My boyfriend and I both work. I am going to try the tethering thing though, because he isn't completely housebroken and seems to be struggling with that. It's almost as if he goes whenever he has to go, and doesn't care where he is. He just happens to do it a lot on his kennel..../:

He pooped a total of three solid poops outside today, and two notsosolid poops and one solid poop in his kennel. I cut back on his food today and we will see what is does. I can't take him into the vet until tomorrow morning...since today was Sunday and that totally skipped my brain, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post

Sounds like you should be waking up every 2 hours to take him out at night, too.

Is he making a fuss at all before going, or just going in the crate and THEN making a fuss because he's in a mess?

Even if there is medically something wrong, he's now learned to potty in his crate and you'll have to work really hard to backtrack that.
Yep. I'm going to have to.

No, he doesn't fuss first, he just does it. And he doesn't always even fuss after. Sometimes he just lays there and doesn't seem to mind a whole lot...other time he does whine about it. But yeah, he fusses afterwards, if at all.

This is the first time I've ever had a dog continually poop/pee in their crate. I've never had to deal with a problem like this ever before...so I have no idea how to teach him NOT to poop/pee in his crate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
How much do you know about his life before you got him?

I know some dogs that have been kept in small places for quite a while can get use to just going to the bathroom in their area.
He does have issues because of his past. He was taken from his Mom at 2-3 weeks ( don't have a clue why.). The lady who had him got him at 4 weeks and was fostering him through the town shelter. (Although their foster program was basically them just giving you the dog and taking no responsibility for it later.) She was the one that told me he had been separated from his mom at 2 or 3... Because that's what the shelter told her. She told me he was missing fur and underweight and really sick when they gave her to him and she nursed him back to health before we got him at 11 weeks. Supposedly he was a house dog, and she said he was crate trained, but never mentioned him having issues with going in his crate.

That's all I know about his background.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 06-25-2012, 12:07 AM
Top Dog

Pooping 6 times in a day seems like a lot to me. My puppies have never pooped that much.

Something doesn't seem right.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Top Dog

Quick thought, not sure if was mentioned...what do you have in the crate? Any bedding? Try removing all the bedding so there is nothing absorbent.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Top Dog

Nothing is in the crate with him.

I'm crossing my fingers for answers in the fecal test tomorrow.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 06-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Top Dog

He sounds like he is pooping WAY too much. Considering he has solid stools outside, I'm not inclined to think it's Giardia, or anything similar. If it was, he would be having loose stools all the time. Still, can't hurt to have a fecal run, especially if he isn't holding weight with all that kibble.

Sounds like stress to me, and he's now a "dirty dog".. aka he doesn't care if he sits in his waste. Dogs that are like that are really hard to deal with.

I'd probably ditch the crate and set up an x-pen somewhere, see if that helps. Some dogs just cannot deal with crates. Have a friend who dealt with this with her dog and once she ditched the crate and just let him free roam (she has no other pets), he was perfectly fine.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:00 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
I put him in the bathroom and the same thing happened. ):
Did he lay in it though or did he keep himself clean?

I think there are two things you have to work on here - a) potty training, and b) a desire to stay clean.

You have gotten some good advice on this thread. I agree that it sounds like a combination of factors, stress, too much food, bad start in life, and no desire to keep himself clean. I would hope with a dog like this that once they have an opportunity to stay clean (like for MONTHS) it starts sinking in that they should try to stay clean. That battle is a separate one from the potty battle.
For the potty battle, I’d definitely try tethering and ditching the crate in favor of an x-pen where he can still see everyone (as opposed to a bathroom with door closed).
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 06-25-2012, 07:36 AM
Top Dog

He lays directly in it with no attempt to stay out of it. Which baffles me, lol. Whenever Chevelle was a puppy and she pottied in the crate, she would stand if she had to to keep clean. Baloo? Nope. He will stretch out in it. It's disgusting.

I'll be calling the vet in about 30 minutes.

I'm also going to try re-crate training and think about the idea of an x-pen. Thing is, my house isn't a very big one. I have no idea where I would put a pen so he would be able to see us and not make a big mess. Living room is not an option...I paid good money for my carpet and I already have to get a rug doctor sometime soon,...LOL.

Hopefully here pretty soon we will have a fence set up outside, and then maybe he can sleep out there at night if the problem doesn't fix itself.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:52 AM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
He lays directly in it with no attempt to stay out of it. Which baffles me, lol. Whenever Chevelle was a puppy and she pottied in the crate, she would stand if she had to to keep clean. Baloo? Nope. He will stretch out in it. It's disgusting.

I'll be calling the vet in about 30 minutes.

I'm also going to try re-crate training and think about the idea of an x-pen. Thing is, my house isn't a very big one. I have no idea where I would put a pen so he would be able to see us and not make a big mess. Living room is not an option...I paid good money for my carpet and I already have to get a rug doctor sometime soon,...LOL.

Hopefully here pretty soon we will have a fence set up outside, and then maybe he can sleep out there at night if the problem doesn't fix itself.

Put a tarp under the x-pen.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Top Dog

....idk why I didn't think of that. Lol.