Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 06-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Top Dog

JMO, but I think you are putting too much faith in that e-collar. If you have a fearful dog who has shown willingness to bite, who will ignore a recall to run after dogs and people, I would not ever have that dog off leash. But thatís just me.

I can tell you that around here, there are plenty of people who wouldnít think twice about shooting a dog running at them in a public place, ignoring a recall from the owner.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 06-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
JMO, but I think you are putting too much faith in that e-collar. If you have a fearful dog who has shown willingness to bite, who will ignore a recall to run after dogs and people, I would not ever have that dog off leash. But thatís just me.

I can tell you that around here, there are plenty of people who wouldnít think twice about shooting a dog running at them in a public place, ignoring a recall from the owner.
Its not all the e-collar, its her training i believe in as well. We work on it every day now. Its illegal here to carry guns so that isn't a huge fear. It isn't just the e-collar. I trust her off around people pretty much, if they are at a distance, she's proven herself already in regards to that. Dogs, we are still heavily working on but she has proved she will come when called around dogs some times. She doesn't run after people who are by themselves now, we've worked hard on this. So, that's not what I'm worried about in the big scheme of things. I mean, we work on it so she remembers not to misbehave. Honestly, I see what you're saying and what I'm doing may be wrong, I know she maybe should be on but I believe we'll be fine if I keep following the rules I've been following with her. A lot of people don't agree with what I do and I can't blame them, I still think I'm an idiot at times for letting her off but I still will, in certain situations. Plus, where we hike it's rare to come across another dog. When we go to the school and if some one walks by with their dog, she has behaved and stayed, though I do leash her and leave (this is after school or on the weekend for anyone wondering).
Old 06-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahlzK View Post
Possibly, she could have. I'm not %100 if she was directly going for them though in the first place because I didn't see them (and it was easy to see through the bush) I only saw them when we got right out of the hiking area. I can only guess thats what she went for. My hope is that I can work hard enough on her re-call she won't run and she comes back when it's just people, it's dogs she needs to really learn to be called off from. I'm not to worried because we work on her recall everyday, I don't take her hiking all the time. We don't cross many other people while hiking so it'll be a rare thing and with all the training we do, hopefully she'll listen just fine within the next few weeks.
My only thing is if you don't know and she wasn't going for them it's not really sending a clear signal to the dog.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Top Dog

My concern was that she was ignoring my voice and we were leaving the hiking area, so I was worried there was some one down there and she got to them. If she had done that while still hiking, I wouldn't have worried as much (depending). So, it probably wasn't a clear signal but when she starts running full pelt, that means its time to get her back.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Felurian

The sequence of pics shows how much she relaxed over the hike.

Obviously you're doing something right to get her there The same thing doesn't work with every dog and I can see you've worked hard to figure out what clicks for Serenity to not only teach her what you want, but to do it within parameters that allow her to relax and let go of fear.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
ó Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Top Dog

Thank you. She relaxed more and more, she really showed me how relaxed she was when she had no reaction to the actions Zoe did, which would normally set her off. Since I thought I was going to put her down, I said she had til the end of this year, I'd give her my all and I'd judge her then. Well, she is doing amazing, I do believe I'm doing it right and she is improving in leaps and bounds!

So, thanks. It was nice to see she had no fear today.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Top Dog

Serenity is super adorable. It looks like she's made a great friend.

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-24-2012, 04:54 AM
Top Dog

Thank you!!

I have to add a few more photos. We went on a massive hike and Serenity did these actions by herself and i thought they made for cute photos.

no, she wasn't afraid, she was standing this way due to the hill;

Old 06-24-2012, 04:55 AM
Top Dog

Old 06-24-2012, 05:05 AM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
The sequence of pics shows how much she relaxed over the hike.

Obviously you're doing something right to get her there The same thing doesn't work with every dog and I can see you've worked hard to figure out what clicks for Serenity to not only teach her what you want, but to do it within parameters that allow her to relax and let go of fear.
This.

She is a beautiful dog and does seem to be having a good time!

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.