Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydee View Post
Gah, that's only happened a few times that I know of...and that was bad enough. I do not have the heart to put something out of it's misery. A skilled cat will either leave something alive to play with or one bite to the neck and it's over. Hideous seeing a creature mauled and suffering. Fortunately Soph almost never catches up with what she's chasing.
Yeah I'm grateful (?) that Murphy would have finished off Mu's squirrel if he caught it. I don't know if I could do it. I don't think she'll let go next time either - as far as I know that's the only time she's caught something so it was kind of a test run.

I want to clarify though that I don't let my dogs chase things that aren't in my yard - it's actually something I've worked on extensively with Mu. But we have a lot of trees in the yard and I swear that squirrel tried to commit squirrelicide. The one Murphy caught must have too because he's really not at all sneaky. And he's thoroughly convinced that barking at them will make them come out of the tree. Lol.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 06-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Obey the Toad.

Sally has killed a raccoon, several possums, and a number of birds, all in our yard in the middle of town. She usually kills stuff "all the way" but DH has had to finish a couple of possums off that fooled her but were mortally wounded.

Jack just loves to chase things, I doubt he would ever try to kill it.

Although I don't want Sally getting hurt while going after something, the birds are the only things that I am really bothered by her killing. I detest possums and don't have many good feelings for racoons either. It would be fantastic if she would start killing the mice in our house though....

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Let it be

Bandit loves to chase yet he has never harmed something once caught. He no desire to kill things. He just gets excited at the motion of movement.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Mitch & Erin

Yes! Cthulhu wants nothing more than to kill squirrels. And now he has decided that a bird that is on the ground must be a squirrel.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Kaydee

With birds they can walk in front of her and she doesn't even blink, the geese she's more like holy crap what IS that thing?

Thank you for the chuckle with squirrelicide. Also chipicide...they dart out right in her path-Sqeeeeeeeek, goodbye cruel world
Old 06-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Are you dead yet?

Eve in general is not. She does crouch and stalk small things (and large things that she has no chance of moving, like giant bulls and horses) but she mostly wants to control them, not eat them. I'm actually not sure if she'd adjust her tactics if she was going hungry. She's extremely stealthy but I don't think she's got the instinct to "pounce and kill" finely honed.

Fish, on the other hand, are fair game. She's caught a few fish with her jaws before.

Dakota is a hunter. He'd kill and eat rabbits, squirrels, lizards etc. He did not have stalking in his vocabulary, he'd just outrun them.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Just try me..

Kat had killed at least one cat. Dekka hasn't killed a cat, but I think that is more from being told not too. She does kill rats, rabbits and the like. She eats the rabbits she kills. Snip was a cat killer, and snake killer. Kaiden only seems to kill frogs :P (he really has it out for things that hop) The whippets have killed young rabbits.

Other than Snips cat killng it hasn't ever been a problem.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:42 AM
Not a Border Collie

Quinn is very gentle with pets but has a lot of prey drive. I've never had a dog that will track like she does - she is nose in the ground, super serious! She will absolutely chase squirrels, chipmunks, and rabbits. She loves to tree the latter two. We have a 25 acre hayfield which comes with a lot of birds that she loves to flush out and chase as they fly. She will stand in the pond for hours waiting for frogs to surface. She's never actually caught anything yet (although has eaten half-dead mice the cat has brought her), but I can easy see her biting in her excitement if the opportunity presented itself. It depends on where we are, but I do give her the freedom to go and chase as much as she likes. She is great about coming back anyways and just a couple of weeks ago I called her off a turkey no problem, I was very proud.

Her breeder's dogs (Quinn's gdam, dam, and half sister) all more skilled in the hunting department but they've been more encouraged, I believe. I never really encouraged Quinn as a puppy to hunt mice, rats, etc in the barn or anything.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 06-26-2012, 06:53 AM
cRaZy AbOuT DOGS

Snowy is a hunter and killer. Hard to believe with his fluffy looks, but trust me, there is a giant wolf in a body of this small dog.

Crystal has the chase drive. kitties, rolling balls and flying crow.

A couple of Dock Divers live here.
Small & WhiteFluffy, but beware, Mighty and Athletic.
Require the time from the master to keep them busy!

Mighty Maltese YouTube Channel

Old 06-26-2012, 07:06 AM
BusterLove

I find it interesting comparying the prey drive of Buster and Quinn. I would say both have high prey drive but where Quinn has masive chase/toy drive. Buster's is all for the kill.

Quinn is generally pretty good with other animals but I wouldn't trust her not to chase if they ran, that said - if she caught them she wouldn't know what to do. Buster on the other hand is always looking for a chance to take something on. You have to constantly watch him when in areas with cover because he tries to sneak off and if he knows you can't see him anymore you loose all verbal control over him. I've seen him try to take on a goat ( a BIG goat) that first just stood up and slammed him into the ground, didn't even slow him down. If I had an interest in it I think he would have made a great pig dog, he lives for the stuff.
I like taking him out in the paddocks here though. The grass can harbour Hares but so far so good with avoiding them and he LOVES looking for mice in the grass.