Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Top Dog

Yes!! I pray the neighbor's cat never ventures into our yard. Romeo, Soldier, and Ritzy..not so much. Zoie likes to chase, but isn't really lethal. Boomer and Casey have both had rabbits, I'm assuming they each caught theirs (how the heck do rabbits come in, and can't figure out how to get out..). Skye and Fez are professional critter hunters. Fez has caught birds and eaten them. He swallows chipmunks whole. Skye...has caught chipmunks and LOVES to find snakes. She grabs, shakes, and drops until they are dead. In Florida she caught a coral snake..it's not a great thing for her.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Top Dog

He has lots of prey drive and he is ecstatic when he gets to "hunt" or chase something. It seems the bigger and more aggressive it is the better. He is beside himself when the raccoons come round. He couldn't care less about small birds (which is good).

But he has absolutely zero stalking sense. He just charges it. Very ineffective lol. He's only killed a rat that was corned, and he chased a rabbit hard enough that when it hid in a debris pile I was able to extract it without any fight. Those are the only times we've something to show for his efforts and he didn't even get to kill the rabbit, poor doggy lol.

As I mentioned in another thread, I have tried making him move towards it slowly but then he just screeches/whines/barks and it runs away anyhow. Stupid dog lol.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm All Ears

For Mia, her drive is for chasing. She has caught and killed a few little things on accident but she will usually do the cat-like thing and let them go and catch them again and again. And she loves to chase the cat but again it's just her wanting to chase and play. She will obsess over pretty much any kind of animal though.

Summer will only chase after squirrels if Mia sees a squirrel and Mia gets excited. She's very much a follower.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Top Dog

Lilly, Gunner, Dutchess, Kiley and Courtney have tons of prey drive. Thankfully no kitties have ever gotten into our yard because Courtney really hates cats, but plenty of squirrels, rabbits and even a possum have died due to these guys Mainly due to Courtney, but the others will join in once she does the catching.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Top Dog

Murphy caught and killed a squirrel in our yard a couple months ago. To my knowledge it was the first one in the five years I've had him (but not for lack of trying). Mu likes to chase squirrels and did catch one the other day. She squished it a couple times and the poor thing started squealing and she lost her grip. I'd feel worse but TWO dogs were circling his tree and he came down anyway. He escaped and ran back up the tree. She will probably kill the next one she catches.

Tipper wouldn't catch and kill anything I don't think. She would chase if the other dogs were chasing though.

I have no doubt Murphy would kill a cat that came in our yard. The squirrel population is apparently not attracted to barking or I bet he'd catch and kill all of them.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 06-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Yes Art loves to chase the cats/rabbits/squirrels/birds/etc that run outside. When we lived at our old apartment ther were so many stray/loose cats! You couldn't go outside without a stray cat running across your path or off a car. So what we did was Art got very excited when he see them, we made him sit and if he sat and stayed until we released him, we would let him chase the cats until his hearts desire was fullfilled.

Now I know that sounds mean, but he was always on leash and never got anywhere near the cats really, we didn't let him. It was more the "you listen to us, we will let you do what you want after" type thing and it really worked! His focus when he sees a small animal is completely fixated on the animal, but we are able to break through and require a sit/stay until released now.

He doesn't catch anything, though there have been a few close calls with the rabbits in the backyard and a few birds.

The cat chasing was one of our biggest concerns when it came to getting our new kitty (Kat). But Art respects her space adn they are very very slowly becoming good friends, I swear they almost started playing yesterday lol

Heck, even my budgies can be out flying around and they are perfectly safe with Art. He has great respect for "my" animals.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:49 PM
orange iguanas.

Not really. They will attempt to chase rabbits/squirrels in the yard, but they are not good at it and if I have them off leash somewhere, they can easily be called off. They just want to run and chase.... I don't think they have any idea what they would do if they actually caught up to it.

No issues having a cat and rats in the house.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 06-23-2012, 12:39 AM
...ice road...

If it isn't human, it isn't safe to be in my yard. I have secure fencing between the dogs and the livestock, or else they'd have no problem preparing their own raw meals lol

Luckily, no one has gotten any cats. We have acreage and LOTS of cover, and while I've seen a few stray cats now and again, it isn't very often. We have one barn cat who has managed to survive the hoard by being really sneaky and checking to see if the dogs are out before he comes in the yard (he'll stand on the other side of the 8' wooden fence and meow loudly to see if any dogs come running LOL)

So far, the only kills we've had are ones we were aiming for - rabbits. We don't see small critters (squirrels, rats, mice, raccoons etc.) often, except for the big gray squirrel that lives out by the livestock... he knows where it's safe! lol
Old 06-23-2012, 04:55 AM
Plus One

No kills but Tika and Aura retrieve mice and birds that the cats have killed. They do chase but I don't think they would actually kill.

Scamp has killed kittens and has tried to kill an adult cat before. I think he caught a mouse once as well. Generally I don't give him the opportunity.

Fudge is the dog everyone hates. He chases everything. Rabbits, mice (he caught it and then didn't know what to do with it lol. The cat was with us and demonstrated it to him clearly.) and horses. He's since learnt the error of his ways about chasing horses and can come on rides with me as long as I keep an eye on him and don't mess around too much.

Taz doesn't really chase (which is the point!) and he's never killed anything either.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:58 AM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

Suzie views it as a big chase, she loves chasing our cat, and will bug the poor thing until Sign runs. But she never ever tries to actually hurt her. She does it the multiple squirrels that the cat kills, and if she ever did catch something, I don't doubt that she would kill and eat it herself. Funnily enough, she doesn't look twice at squirrels when they're living.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.