Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Little dog, big voice

Default Of course she can focus on an ant for ten minutes...

I was just outside with Cali (and am about to go back out) and she spent a good ten minutes focused on an ant. Not only did she follow/scratch/bite at it on the pavement but she managed to follow it for a good couple metres through grass and would just lay there waiting for it to pop up again.

But of course, when I ask for that much focus, she declines my offer. She's something, that's for sure.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Kaydee

Does anybody else's dog bark at huge insects? The flying ones she catches in her mouth...but the big crawling ones she'll track and bark at like she's sighted a goose. Kind of embarrassed for her, " I don't think it can hear you baby"
Old 06-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Little dog, big voice

Cali does, I sometimes think she has a mental disorder haha. She actually has a really good memory.. she saw a squirrel on someone's lawn a good month or two ago, and she still gets excited and starts running when we get near it. Then when we went back outside ten minutes ago, she runs right out and tries finding the ant again.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

HAHA now if they would show that much focus when we need it! You may have to carry a bug around in your hand so she will focus on you, it will be her reward instead of a treat LMAO
Old 06-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Kaydee

Chuckle chuckle I know this one is not a hunting dog, the squirrel will run up the tree in front of her...and she will run right past it without looking up...duh where'd that little varmint go??? Then she'll pick up the scent again and bump headfirst into the tree.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:01 AM
...ice road...

Ever tried to train with a butterfly fluttering about? IMPOSSIBLE, I tell you. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydee View Post
Chuckle chuckle I know this one is not a hunting dog, the squirrel will run up the tree in front of her...and she will run right past it without looking up...duh where'd that little varmint go??? Then she'll pick up the scent again and bump headfirst into the tree.

This reminds me of the time my friend's hound/shepherd mix was running with my two hunters (Saluki and an Am Staff) after a hare. The hound/shepherd mix lost sight of the hare... and figured it must have gone up the nearest tree >.< We were DYING of laughter!