Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

I don't judge the others by my heart dog (except when Tyr can't find heel and I tell him Ares does it better). For me the heart dog is the one that finds his way into a special spot of your heart. It's like being in love vs finding your soul mate.

Ares is absolutely without a doubt my heart dog. Morgan is the one I go to first when I'm sad, Tyr is the one I spend the most time with, but Ares is still my heart, my soul, my world. Nyx is almost a second heart dog - she has her moments where she's right up there with Ares, but then her psychosis kicks in and ruins it.

I also did have a heart horse. Loch Ness.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Just try me..

I have never really used that term.. also feeling it was over used.

Till Dekka. I have never felt that sort of connection with any animal before. LOL to quote AP "she completes me" Kat was also a heart dog. I love my other dogs, they are great. Its just that the connection isn't the same.

Anyone who knows me and Dekka knows what I mean. Its not just attachment. Seren is attached to me like a limpet. I agree with RD, its feels like an equal relationship. There is nothing once sided about the relationship I have with my little odd dog.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:58 PM
such sights to show you

One of my neighbors calls them "The Great Ones". When Roxy died, we were chatting and I was trying to explain what she was to me, and she just said "I understand, she was One of the Great Ones." I like that term a lot, actually.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

My heart dog was Izze my first ACD she died as thr result of an unfortunate accident, it was a shock, we suspected fowl play but we could never prove it :'(. I don't think I will never have another dog like her, my new adult rescue, Buddy is great & I do love him to bits but I don't think there will be another 'Izze' & I don't expect there to be. But I'm not going to shut myself off from another great relationship with another great dog in need of a loving home bc I want another 'Izze'. I feel blessed for having thr private of knowing Izze for thr time I had with her, but I also look fwd to having loving relationships with future dogs.

& just because she was awsome :') here are some pics of her

-Izze in the mule at the placewe used to work at.

-Izze playing with her flirt pole, her fave toy

Last edited by Dogdragoness; 06-22-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Top Dog

I just wanted everyone to know it's great to read about everyone's heart dog. I am the only person out of my friends who has a dog. And while they are pretty cool about my dog 'obsession' they don't really understand the bond. I don't even use the phrase 'heart dog' in front of them because it's really hard to put in words when they ask what it means.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

Eevee is my first heart dog, but Shippo has bonded strongly with me in different ways... I could say he is in training to take over when she is gone...

Eevee
14-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 06-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Top Dog

Maddy. No questions asked. It's just not fair that I only got two years with her

Maddy's beautiful face by Niseag, on Flickr

My Photos
Old 06-23-2012, 06:45 PM
All For The Pit Bulls

I used to say it was Nellie. Jack was MY first dog who I just lost in December, I loved him so much and we really had something going there, he was my boy but then Nellie came along and made me realize while I loved them equally, her and I had a weird connection. Maybe it came through me working her through all her fear issues, and her being there through horrible things, but we clicked good. We still do and even when Beagle came along I thought yep, love that dog too but she isn't Nellie.

Then came Aija. Shes challenging my thought about how I never thought I could be as close to a dog as I am with Nellie. Aija is something special too. It may be because she is my young one and I am so involved with training and shaping her to be a great dog that I feel so close to her. Shes also the first dog I have had that gave me a breed I fell in love with. Jack was a rat terrier, Beagle was..well a beagle, and Nellie is a lab mix and through those guys I would think "I still want to try X breed and X breed and X breed" but once I met Aija I decided I am never going back. She will always be that first pit bull who started it all, and while I admire a few special breeds I honestly don't think I will ever get a not-pit bull. But, even through all that, I think me and Nellie have kept our bond or even made it stronger, shes such a good old girl now, I hardly even have to direct her and she knows what I want her to do and she always sticks so near me, and shes hardly ever a pain in the ass anymore, shes like a constant shadow and I think of her as a part of me, I am not me without Nellie.

I think now I'll just stick with Sassafrass' term "the great ones" because now Jack and Beagle are both gone, and man were they some wonderful dogs I wish could be with my forever, Nelie and Aija, who I LOVE just as much as the others, touch my heart in a little different way.

Jack, missing you every day since 12/6/11
Beagle, run free with Jack little friend, 4/9/12

Last edited by Jare; 06-23-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:12 PM
love herds

I adore all of my boys to bits but If I had to choose one as my heart dog it would have been Beau, my Rough Collie. If I had to pick one dog to have for the rest of my life it would have been him, he was simply perfect. Apart from his health there is not a single thing about him that I would have changed, I clicked with him the day we adopted him at 6 months old and I swear that dog was made for me. He was smart, intuitive,selfless and protective and had the patience off a saint, I miss that dog like crazy<3

"A dog of uncanny brain and great loving loyal heart and with a dancing sense of fun, a dog with a soul."- Albert Payson Terhune (lad)
Old 06-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Top Dog

Mitch was and always will be that dog like no other. He shaped me into the person I wanted to be and enriched my every day. Best friend I could've ever asked for.