Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
It's hard because Jackson *is* my first dog on my own, so it's easy for me to say he is my heart dog because I haven't experienced much else (on my own anyways).
This is what happened to me. I'm a lot more reserved about using the term 'heart dog' now. I adored Ilsa, and I still miss her, but I miss Ronin more. I don't know if it's because his passing is fresher in my mind, or if it was because he went on his own instead of being put to sleep, or because I had to watch him decline so rapidly, or because with him, there was literally nothing I could do to make him live longer... I don't know. I just know that if I had to have one of them back.... it would be an agonizing decision, but I would choose Ronin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
IMO, a 'heart dog' is that dog you judge all other dogs by.
By that definition, mine would be Kaylee. I adore her, she's my one dog so far that leaps into everything she does with enthusiasm, never says no, never says stop. I hope to god she's around for a loooong time, because I'll be shattered when she goes.

I try not to compare dogs to each other anymore. I see them for them, really appreciate them for who they are, as individuals.

I think Grace hit the nail on the head - every dog brings something special and unique into our hearts.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:56 AM
Love My Mutt <3

I've only ever had Rosey... but she's my heart. She'll forever be the one that other dogs are compared to. She's been through everything with me, and I can't imagine life without her.

For sure, 100%, Rascal was my heart ferret. All the other ferrets have been compared to him, and I tend to get frustrated that they aren't him, and I find myself reminding me of that -- they are NOT Rascal. They will never be Rascal. I need to love them for who they are, not try to mold them into what Rascal was.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-22-2012, 03:55 AM
...ice road...

I've never used the term 'heart dog' before...

But if I were going to apply it to one dog, I would apply it to my first dog of my own. We had family dogs, but Nakita was MY dog.

She chose me. We took my grandmother to see a litter of mixed breed puppies, because she wanted a companion. I was in grade 2. The puppies were scattered on a lawn in the front yard. I went to each one... but was followed by the first puppy I had petted, who had climbed into my lap and stared at me with soulful brown eyes. My grandmother chose her puppy, and we went to leave... but still this little puppy followed me. When I got into the back set of the car, that puppy scrambled to climb into my lap, whimpering frantically. My parents gave in, and I brought her home.

That dog changed my life.

I would, literally, be dead if not for her. She saved my life on more than one occasion... including knocking me on my behind to keep me from stepping on a rattlesnake. When I was a pissed off pre-teen who ran away from home, the police and my father used her to track me.

She did everything I asked of her. I taught her agility and all sorts of random things. She was my world.

Nakita had to be put down due to old age when I was 9 months pregnant with my son. I didn't speak for weeks. I had to learn how to live without someone I hadn't been without in over a dozen years...

It's been almost 5 years since that day, and I still think about her at least once every few days. I LOVE my dogs, and I've got a special bond with each of them... but nothing will compare to what Nakita did for my soul.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:30 AM
Top Dog

I'm another who isn't sure the term applies. Meg is just everything to me; when I talk about her, my throat gets tight and my eyes tear up and my chest clenches. She's one of the most perfect beings I know. I was terrified getting another dog, that I would always love Meg more and have a hard time bonding with another dog.

But darn if Gusto hasn't wormed his way into the spot right next to Meg in my heart. He's my Mia, to Meg's Summer I laugh non-stop with him around, he makes me smile and make silly noises just looking at him. He's so much fun to play with and work with and we are starting to have something really special going on.

It's okay, my heart is big enough for both.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:49 AM
Top Dog

I don't know.

I have a great connection with Serenity, I'm head over heels for her, I talk to her all the time, I've changed my life for her, I put everything I have in to her, she makes me laugh and cheers me up when I'm down. She's my best friend.

But.. She is also closer to the 'perfect' dog I want and she'd be perfect if she didn't have her issues. I worry the day I get another dog I will have a greater connection with that dog if he turns out to be what I want. I preferred Sunny over Guage because Sunny is more of what I wanted and that happened again when Serenity came around. I do hope when I get my next dog, she still has my heart and if my next boy is exactly what I want, I hope and pray my feeling for Serenity doesn't change. The only difference will be that dog can do sports while she can't and go out in public a bit more.. So.. I think I'll like certain things better but that's it, hopefully. We'll see. Though, I think I've bonded with her more so because of everything she has done for me so she will always be special in my heart. I'm glad she's young because I'm terrified of the day she won't be by my side. I want her to die old, beside me. I want to tell her story. I want to look back when I'm older and share my life back when I was less experienced with dogs and how she changed my life. She's a special girl. I adore her.

But at the moment, she has my heart. I love Sunny but I adore her more in many aspects. He's special in his own way of course. Though, I do prefer being with just her at times. I enjoy alone time with him too.

So, I don't know if shes my 'heart dog' BUT she has captured my heart. I don't want to call her my 'heart dog' until I've owned another dog.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:01 AM
Top Dog

Though, the way I feel about Serenity now, I never felt this way about Sunny, even before she was around so.. I do believe she will be a heart dog. Some days I wish I didn't like her that much because I do believe the day she's gone, it'll be a lot more painful then the day Sunny is gone. I'm in love this this dog.

A well! She's only a year and 9 months! Hopefully she lives till 15! I'll be happy if she lasts till 13 at least.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 AM
love the fluff

Copper is my heart dog. I have never had such a love or bond with another.[IMG]2011_05100021[/IMG]
Old 06-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Ben was all the way my heart. No dog will ever be mine quite like Ben was. Run my baby. I miss you <3

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 06-22-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post

But darn if Gusto hasn't wormed his way into the spot right next to Meg in my heart. He's my Mia, to Meg's Summer
Everyone needs a Mia dog and a Summer dog at some point in their life. It's a great combination.

I really have never compared dogs much. Maybe because we have had so many dogs and they've all been different. Trey was the dog that really taught me to look at a dog based on his own merits and not compare them to the others. He was such a strange dog, so simple, sweet, and then timid and sometimes very hard to read. If I am being honest, I miss him and think about him the most out of all of our past dogs. I really owe that boy a lot.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Top Dog

I am very closely bonded to both of them, as I was to our family BC Buddy growing up and am to the current family BC Will. But the Lily bug is as much a part of me as one of my arms. We just... are.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really close to Scout as well. The bond is just different and with Scout's quirks that also makes things different. When I go somewhere yeah Scout misses me, but its not a big deal. To Lily its a freaking huge deal, especially if its more than a couple days. Last time I got home after a week visit with family in Seattle, Lily laid on me all evening and stared at me the whole time. Two peas we are.

Also, I will say that every BC I ever live with will be measured against Buddy. That dog was the bomb. I very much hope if I ever have a BC of my own that he's even half the dog my Bud man was.