Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Top Dog

Regardless of if owner of Dog A is at fault, I think they more than paid their fine in the loss of their dog's life.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Top Dog

Dog B is at fault, I wouldn't even be concerned about Dog A's owner.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
If a dog comes onto the property of someone else and attacks the property owners dog, the owner of the trespassing dog is absolutely and fault and should absolutely have to pay for any damages. If the property owners dog had been tied out the attack still would have occurred because the other owners dog would have still come onto the property.

That would be like if you were smoking pot in your front yard and I walked onto your property and beat you senseless. I should still be liable for your medical bills regardless of the fact you were breaking the law at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
Even if dog A roams, it doesn't matter in this situation. He was attacked in his own yard, so saying that he roams is a moot point in this situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
i don't care about the details, if you or an animal is attacked on your property it's on the other dog. I can't think of a scenerio that would make me change my mind at this point.

I can't imagine the level of suck there must be living in an area that turns people chillin with their dog in their own yard into criminals.
^^All that.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:06 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

YepI pretty much agree with everyone else. If dog A was on it's property at te time
Of attack... No matter how close to te property line... The intruding dog is at fault and that owner should absolutely be held responsible for their dog leaving their property and killing another being. If they want to address the fact that the other dog was off lead in its own yard later, fine but that doesn't change that the dog was on its property when attacked and killed by a dog that was truly at large and the owners of THAT dog hold a bigger portion of the responsibility.

As for the animal cruelty. Do you know how long Dog A lived after the attack? I mean, when teddy was hit by a car he made it until 3 minutes before we arrived at the vet. Had i not taken him and just let him pass at home in our arms... Is that animal cruelty?

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 06-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

^^^^ second that....

Years ago when we were first married we had a chihuahua who we put out for a pee... We lived in a very rural area, on a dead end private road.. Traffic was not a concern.. Our neighbor who was also hubby's first cousin (Made the incident real fun) had a large breed dog (type does not matter) who came over into our yard, on our front steps and killed him... Fast and brutally just as I opened the door to let him in...

Even if he'd been tethered he'd have not stood a chance... The only thing that may have saved him was a fence, or us watching him and able to run the other dog off.. It happened so fast I'm not even sure that would have helped..

The sad thing is the dog had attacked our uncles Pom already (He lost an eye) so it's not like they did not know about his potential... We even knew but they usually never had him out that early (8 am, they were and still are lazy asses who were never out of bed before 10 and worked for Daddy, who enabled them.. Another sad story)

I feel we failed him, and even if we'd violated a leash law, his loss was hard enough without being made into a criminal.. I'm sure these people feel the same
Old 06-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Are you dead yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
If a dog comes onto the property of someone else and attacks the property owners dog, the owner of the trespassing dog is absolutely and fault and should absolutely have to pay for any damages. If the property owners dog had been tied out the attack still would have occurred because the other owners dog would have still come onto the property.

That would be like if you were smoking pot in your front yard and I walked onto your property and beat you senseless. I should still be liable for your medical bills regardless of the fact you were breaking the law at the time.
THIS. Dog B and its owners are at fault, NOT dog A.

Dog B's owner should receive a much harsher punishment than dog A's owner. Yeah, sure, dog A was in the front yard unleashed. Dog A remained ON ITS OWN PROPERTY. It would have made NO difference were dog A on a tie-out or whether it was loose and under voice control in its own yard.

What a weird bunch of laws. I can't imagine a leash law for a dog on its own property, and I can't imagine a law so ****ed up that the owners of the dog that was killed would be fined as well. That dog never left its property. In this particular case, Dog B is the entire cause of the problem.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:22 PM
<--------Orson

Lump me into the group. Dog B's owners have no claim IMO, and it's sad that dog B had to die in such a preventable way.

Both owners need a fine for disobeying leash laws, and Dog A's owner should step up, suck it up, and accept the loss due to their own negligence.

One of these days Orson WILL get one of the neighbor cats that have recently begun coming into our backyard. (they used to stick to the side and front area and stay out of the fenced part) When that day happens, they better not expect a dime or sympathy.........not kidding. I will pay an attorney hundreds/thousands before I give them a red cent.

In case you haven't noticed, this is a sore spot..........TAKE CARE OF YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES PEOPLE, OR DON'T GET A PET!!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:37 AM
Professional Nerd

Do leash laws even apply if your dog is on your own property? In most I've seen they don't. Everywhere I've lived, Dog A would have been totally legal in this case.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:50 AM
and Fozzie B!

WHAT would have happened if Dog A was on leash?! She probably would have been attacked just the same, except maybe the person would've also been attacked trying to defend their dog. I definitely have issue with a dog, allowed to wander, pursuing a smaller dog and killing them... that dog is unequivocally aggressive, whether it's DA or high prey drive, and their owners should not own such a dog if they can't properly contain them. The small dog was minding it's own business in it's own yard. The owners of Dog A just lost their friendly dog in a violent and horrific manner! To imply that insult should be added to injury by fining them is just mean imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
One of these days Orson WILL get one of the neighbor cats that have recently begun coming into our backyard. (they used to stick to the side and front area and stay out of the fenced part) When that day happens, they better not expect a dime or sympathy.........not kidding. I will pay an attorney hundreds/thousands before I give them a red cent.
But those cats are coming into YOUR yard. It would be very different if Dog A had wandered into their yard. That's like saying, if Orson gets out/you let him off-leash and he runs into your neighbor's yard to kill their cat, no biggie.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 06-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Dafuq?

The little dog being off-leash on his own property might have incurred a ticket, but it does not equal the crime of he big dog that killed him. If it were a contributory negligence state, one party cannot collect if they contribute AT ALL to the incident. So little dog owner would be screwed. Now I do think it ridiculous that someone would lose their job for a mistake. That's whatever.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...