Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Most rescues, in my experience, don't make any distinction between reasons for having intact animals. It gets especially frustrating as a breeder (which I know the OP isn't) to be constantly beaten over the head by people who say breeders should also rescue, yet most rescues won't allow you to foster if you own intact dogs. Some won't let you foster if you own ANY intact animals, period; what someone owning an intact...rabbit, or some such...has to do with fostering a rescue dog, I don't know.
I looked into adopting a male rat a while ago and they were going to make me have it neutered. To live with other male rats. I was like whut...? Didn't work out though, but I wonder if they realized my boys are intact...
Old 06-19-2012, 11:17 PM
The Littlest Hound

I'd suggest finding a breed rescue and/or volunteering with said rescue (at adoption events & what have you) until they get to know that you are responsible/knowledgeable. I started up with our local beagle rescue in state college when I got two elderly beagles to stop them from ending up at the shelter. Once they had found homes, I continued volunteering & fostered on & off for years. I had in tact coonhounds & was able to actually change our director's mind about a lot of stuff like responsibly owning in tact dogs and adopting to hunting homes.

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 06-20-2012, 12:36 AM
Wu-Tang Steph

A rescue we fostered for in the past would not let us foster with Shambles being intact. Which is funny, because when we were fostering consistently for them both Jonas and Smalls were intact, but I digress. My work does not appear to have any rules against it, and I know I just did a meet and greet with a family with an intact dog and they adopted our dog. Gotta be more rescues out there that wouldn't mind.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:02 AM
Top Dog

I'm sure it is a case by case basis. Some rescues are just unbending on things. I know that, were I to want to foster, I'd have an issue with both rescues that are local because I have a dog with testicles and two cats with no claws (both were found as strays already declawed, as a note)
Old 06-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
I dunno, good luck. Every place around here states explicitly that your own animals must be altered. :/
Same here A lot of the rescues won't even let you adopt a puppy that is to be s/ned at the appropriate age if you have an intact dog in the house...
Old 06-20-2012, 09:07 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Never hurts to ask, especially since there is a "legitimate" reason for her being intact.

I did a few short term fosters for a Lab rescue and my dogs aren't UTD on vaccines - I do a limited vaccine protocol. When I explained why I do what I do, they understood and didn't let that stand against me.
The same thing happened when I adopted the ferrets. They normally required that other ferrets be UTD on vaccines, but I don't vaccinate my ferrets and when I explained my reasoning why they accepted that.

I think if the rest of your application looks good and your references are brilliant, they should be willing to work with you.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I have a friend who used to show and breed afghans. She wanted to help out and foster. Even though she was a member of the breed club with titled dogs and multiple dog yards she was snubbed.

JRT rescue is always hurting for fosters. But they'll also take dogs who have bitten and such to rehab. They just seem to be a better group when it comes to dog welfare.

I was told off about fostering cockers as Smudge was intact. He's not now, but I'm out of good will.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 06-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

You definitely might find some breed rescues to be more sympathetic; however, I find that most of their sympathy will only extend to those who have intact members of that particular breed for showing purposes, and maybe one or two examples of another breed, again kept intact for showing purposes. But it really depends! Some breed rescues are run by breeders themselves, and they can often be very understanding and openminded.

There's always the CL option. I can't tell you how many times I've seen "found this dog, can't keep him in my apartment, don't want to take him to animal control" ads. You could really help dogs out just by doing something like that.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

I agree with the breed rescue/club suggestion.

I know of several people who are breeders and also do foster dogs for their breed's rescue, so it should be doable.

You might need to join a club and let them get to know you first?

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-21-2012, 05:49 AM
...ice road...

There's no harm in applying to foster, and letting them know your dog is intact for medical reasons. The worst they can do is say no, right?