Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Top Dog

I'm having time constraint issues...whatever happened to Saturday classes? Now it's like Tuesdays at 4pm...I work until 6 Sun-Thurs.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
Ouch. I am paying $85/6 weeks and cringing.
Haha same here. I am paying 85 per dog per six weeks right now.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Show Dog

I'm currently paying $150 for 8 weeks, but when Twister starts classes depending on whether or not Abby's still taking them it'll cost me about $280 for both
Old 06-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I'm having time constraint issues...whatever happened to Saturday classes? Now it's like Tuesdays at 4pm...I work until 6 Sun-Thurs.
Agility trials are on weekends, so most agility instructors won't do Saturday classes because they'll be gone on and off so much. It would be too confusing for students being on and off and frustrating to try and progress with the dogs.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Agility trials are on weekends, so most agility instructors won't do Saturday classes because they'll be gone on and off so much. It would be too confusing for students being on and off and frustrating to try and progress with the dogs.
yup, I'm starting to regret offering my two classes on Friday. We do however have a trainer who trains sat/sun at our facility.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
yup, I'm starting to regret offering my two classes on Friday. We do however have a trainer who trains sat/sun at our facility.
We don't even like to do Mondays... need a day to recoup once you're back!
I could teach weekends right now, I'm not trialing very much... I had to cut way back to save up to enter agility and rally with Auggie plus rally with Payton in a few weeks. =P Last year I was gone often enough it would have been disruptive to a class though.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Ahh, I never even thought of that. That definitely makes sense, doh.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Show Dog

I pay $150 every 6 weeks. Class is around 60-75 minutes every week. Once one session ends the next session picks up the following week, so there's no break in classes. There are 5 other dogs in Pig's class. We're going into our third session soon and still haven't seen equipment...which is exactly why I went with this trainer. My other options were all places that basically have you guide your dog around a course on leash with a cookie in front of their nose. We've spent the last 11 weeks working on targeting, recalls, building drive etc.

I personally love the classes/trainer. My sister, who tags along to watch, is bored out of her mind though. She's not competition minded and only sees what's being done in the moment, not what we're building towards for the future. Agility is so much more than guiding your dog through a course. In the long run, I think those 4 'extra' classes will do you and Art a lot of good.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

See, that's the thing, I KNOW foundations are mega important for trialing, we are NOT planning on trialing Art. That's really not what I'm looking for. I think that kind of atmosphere (so many dogs, so many people, lots going on) would just stress him out too much. I'm looking for something fun to do that he would rock at and have fun with and that I could have fun training him to do. Plus, I want to do actual agility plus trialing with my next dog so this would just be for fun plus to get my foot in the door as far as understanding equipment and all that. So I want it to be less "serious" without being a complete joke. lol

Generally, from what I'm seeing classes are about $120 with one or two foundation classes, which is fine. This place that I love everything else about it, is a good $60 more expensive than the most expensive other place I found and has 3 mandatory foundations and one mandatory stretching/muscle building class which seems unnecessary to me for a dog that will likely never compete.

The other place I kinda like only has a "fun agility" class, which doesn't really seem like any foundation OR any actual agility equipment. It seems the equipment is "smaller" than normal with a lot of extra "tricks" added in, which again is a bit too lax for what I'm looking for.

The third choice place uses both positive and traditional methods. The rest following seems mostly traditional methods, which is definitely not what I want, or it is so far away it's impossible for me to be able to afford classes AND the gas lol.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:49 AM
Sport Model Pug

Foundations are not only for dogs who are going to compete. They help build a set of skills that helps the dog and hander perform the equipment safely. Agility is a sport where injuries can happen pretty quickly, if the dog doesn't have a good basic set of foundation skills and the handler doesn't know how to warm up, stretch and cool down their dog it will lead to injuries.

If you think your dog is too advanced for foundations then talk to the place to see if they'll assess him to determine if he has the skills they want the dogs to have when moving up to a higher level of classes.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug