Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Top Dog

Default Dear Neighbor...

When we are walking towards each other on the same path through the park, and I very deliberately step to the side of the path and shorten my dog's leash, that should be your first clue.

When you say, "Wow, I guess these two aren't friends, huh?", and I concur that no, they definitely aren't friends...that should be clue number two.

So when you say, "Okay, how 'bout you just sniff then" and allow your dog to immediately draaaaag you across the path to "sniff" my dog (who I am rapidly feeding string cheese to in order to distract and keep focused on me), please understand why I am visibly upset when your dog BITES the back of Lucy's legs and the two start snarling at each other.

ARGHHHH.

His comment? "Wow, I wasn't expecting that!"

Lucy's fine, no battle scars. But ughhhhhhh we've been working intensively on "look at that" and increasing her threshold for MONTHS and MONTHS, and I'm so afraid this is going to be a major set back. It all happened so darn fast I didn't have time to process and react quickly enough to yell at him to stop (not that it would have done anything). I just feel like I failed her

Just in case someone hasn't seen this before:

Space Etiquette For Dogs by lili.chin, on Flickr
Old 06-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

I seriously want to post this poster all over a local park by my house. I'll take a dog (on lead) into the middle of the park (grass) to work OB in some open space and it's like they take it to be an invitation to the dog park. "Oh, she's on the grass, she must want to let the puppies play!!!" Um... no.

I'm really sorry about your asshat neighbor... I've gotten really good at actually holding up my hand like a traffic cop and saying, "She's not friendly with strange dogs." I find that even if the words blow over their heads, the hand motion makes them pause. It's not a very friendly thing to have to do and it can make things awkward but... you do what you gotta do.

ETA: you also have the curse of having a cute, unassuming, smallish dog. LOL. I feel your pain. Once a lady with Chi started to let her dog approach and says, "oh, is she friendly?" clearly thinking that such a cute little doggy must be. I said, "No, sorry." You should have seen her face!

Old 06-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Love My Mutt <3

What I love is when somebody has their DA dog on a flexi, letting it out all the way and then they yell at *me* for my dog sniffing at your dog.

Yah, sorry, if your dog is on a flexi coming towards my dog, I'm not going out of the way to avoid a dog that I think is friendly since it has been allowed to come up.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Top Dog

Oooh, I like the hand motion--I'm going to try to remember that!

In all honesty, almost everyone in this neighborhood is fantastic about walking dogs. Just about everyone crosses to the other side of the street if they see you coming, or pull their dog up a driveway into a sit until you pass. It's so nice!

The other good news is that it's a pretty small neighborhood, so I recognize all the people and dogs and can make a mental note to stay far away from this ding dong in the future.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I hear yah, the amount of off leash dogs that I run into are enough to cause me to have an anger melt down one of these days.

I would love to post that poster all over my little mountian town, although I am pretty sure it would do no good.

People seem to think small rural town=their crazy off dog is allowed off leash its making it slightly difficult to train Mitsu a good leave it or look at that.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 06-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Top Dog

I'm very grateful that other than one completely well behaved sheltie, everyone in the neighborhood walks their dog on leash (and only a few with really tiny little dogs use flexis). I was thrilled when I found out that for the most part people were so responsible around here.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Top Dog

Ugh, had the same thing happen to my GSD as a puppy. I was VERY angry. So sorry this person was an "asshat" as someone else said (I enjoy that word).
Old 06-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Top Dog

Poor Lucy -- I hope she is okay and doesn't have any setbacks! That really sucks. You've worked so hard and were doing everything right.

I generally just pull my dogs over to the side now and put them in a stay while another dog passes. They aren't even reactive, but Bailey doesn't feel any particular need to say hi to every dog, and Grace needs to learn that she can't -- and it just makes life easier when are too many stupid owners with "friendly" dogs choking themselves out trying to "just say hi." (As an aside, I feel like I inadvertently offend people fairly regularly when I'm praising my dog(s) for being calm and collected while they yank their out of control dog by us. Someone just made a snide comment the other day. I promise I don't care how well behaved or reactive or over-excited your dog is -- I just don't want him/her meeting mine!)

I fully support forgetting the niceties and just telling people to keep their dog away from mine.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Top Dog

I need to make a sandwich billboard out of it for Yoshi to wear.

Yoshi actually loves everyone, person, dog, inanimate object but I've run into way too many people who weren't willing to admit their dog wasn't friendly to not be super safe about it now.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
Ugh, had the same thing happen to my GSD as a puppy. I was VERY angry. So sorry this person was an "asshat" as someone else said (I enjoy that word).
Hehehe, that may have been me. I love that word too (So much so that in high school a friend gave me a knit hat with a donkey on it...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey08 View Post
Poor Lucy -- I hope she is okay and doesn't have any setbacks! That really sucks. You've worked so hard and were doing everything right.
Thanks, I hope so too!

I didn't realize how stressful it was to say "hi" to every dog we passed. In our old neighborhoods, that was common and Lucy was generally fine with it (save 1 or 2 dogs), but it is SO MUCH CALMER to walk her knowing we can skip that step!