Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Top Dog

Default Temporarily rescued some abandoned pups. Advice?

On Friday afternoon my dad found 3 abandoned pups near his yard. Poor things were left hungry, terrified, and COVERED in fleas. He caught them and brought them home. We bathed them (twice), fed them and dewormed them. I need advice on finding them a home/foster home. My mother in law may take one because she has been talking about getting another dog. I did call a shelter to get some info (NOT sending them to a shelter) and they gave me a number to a local foster agency but any advice on sources for finding foster homes if this agency can't help (they were closed today. calling tomorrow). I have NO experience rescuing strays and rehoming them. My dad doesn't really want to have them more than a week or two and I cannot bring them here so I need to find them a good place with experienced dog people quickly and I don't really know many.

I guess I need advice on good sources for finding homes/foster homes with educated dog people and advice on screening people who are interested. What to ask, what to watch out for, red flags, etc.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:38 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

What size are they and how old? That helps to narrow down the type of home for them.

Maybe advertise them for a small rehome fee that you can donate somewhere.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 06-18-2012, 01:04 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Craigslist is honestly great for private rehomes. You have to screen like crazy, but that is how I placed all of my independent fosters and they all went to fabulous homes.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Water Junkie

Look into rescues near by, like a couple hours away. You may find someone to take them. It's what I was able to do with my stray puppy, and worked out fabulously. Good luck!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 06-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Top Dog

They are all black lab mix pups. About 6/7 weeks old. I can't believe I forgot to mention that. I did put an ad on CL, which I was extremely apprehensive about but I figured I didn't have to give them to anyone. I have had no interest. I didn't call the foster group today because my MIL won't know if she is takin one until tomorrow and I want to know how many dogs to tell them need homes. I'll call tomorrow. Thanks. Any more input is welcome.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:13 AM
Love my pets

Will your vet let you put up a sign in his office on a bulletin board?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

If they're all black lab mixes (and look like labs), you could try contacting an Lab rescue. Rescues tend to be more apt to take in puppies (that are or look purebred), because they are highly adoptable. All depends on whether or not a foster home is available, though.