Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Obey the Toad.

We found our vet by accident. We had only had Sally for a little while and had not chosen a vet yet, when she got kicked in the head by a horse. She was crying, her eye was bleeding, and I was freaking out because we had no vet. I randomly remembered a vet that an acquaintance had said she went to so I called them and they were nice enough to see Sally as a first time patient on very short notice a half hour before they closed.

So far I have had good relationships with most of my animals vets, with the exception of the vet who was seeing Sheena when died.

Right now we actually have 3 vets-our traditional dog and cat vet, Jack's acupuncture vet, and our avian vet.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:01 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

What counts as a "relationship"? We've been using the same vet for the last 6 years and I trust the clinic (for Belle we see whatever doctor is available because Belle doesn't care... for Beezer we always use the same doctor) and all the doctors we've ever had experience with have been great and when Belle hurt her toe I asked the vet that if it was going to require surgery or anything overly pricey would it be possible to make payments. she told me that the front desk would be the ones to set that up and they would get the final say (in other words... they'd look at our payment history to see if we are reliable payers lol) but she couldn't see any reason that it would be a problem but she said first things first... lets see what we are dealing with and if it's going to require more than rest we'll figure it out.

turns out... she just needed rest (which is A OK with Belle lol. She's a couch potato) so we never did have to set up payments or anything.

but I wouldn't say we walk in and the vet is like HEYYYYY Belle or HEYYYYYY it's Beezer. we only see them once a year unless something comes up and we've been lucky in the past that most issues that have come up have happened when they were due for shots anyway lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 06-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Obey the Toad.

With all of Jack's health issues--elbow dysplasia, his fondness for eating inedible objects, ear infections, etc, the vet's office knows us well enough that all I have to do tell call and say, "this is Jack and Sally's mom" and they know who I am....

I take care of as much medical stuff as I am comfortable with at home, but I am not as experienced with dog and cat medical issues as I am with horses.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Top Dog

Our small animal vet retired so we use the past place I went to with our rescue but don't really like the vet the way I did "our" vet.

And after he retired and I found a new horse vet since he did both,the new guy just sent out letters that he is retiring from his large animal practice! There is a vet that will come out here but they are literally three times as much. I jus hope I don't need another emergency call.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 06-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Your vet knowing the pet before something is wrong is so, so important. If my vet didn't know what was normal for Ren, she would have thought I was nuts for taking him in when he wasn't biting people and he'd be dead.
This is what's most important for me and why I wanted a regular vet. I think it's easier if the vet knows your pets quirks.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Top Dog

I have a hard time finding a vet that is respectful of me and Zander. They always try wisking him away to the back for simple things or pinning him down, or something else that's stupid. He's not a man eating monster, he's just skittish of strangers. And you're making it worse. He was sitting FINE until you put him in a headlock. *imagines choking out said vets and techs*

I've found a few that at least respected my food choices and other minor things, but the handling....drives me crazy. If you can't handle my dog without going berserk, throwing him around and pinning him....well, out the door we go. And then they always wonder why he's so skittish around strangers. GEE. I WONDER.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I have a hard time finding a vet that is respectful of me and Zander. They always try wisking him away to the back for simple things or pinning him down, or something else that's stupid. He's not a man eating monster, he's just skittish of strangers. And you're making it worse. He was sitting FINE until you put him in a headlock. *imagines choking out said vets and techs*

I've found a few that at least respected my food choices and other minor things, but the handling....drives me crazy. If you can't handle my dog without going berserk, throwing him around and pinning him....well, out the door we go. And then they always wonder why he's so skittish around strangers. GEE. I WONDER.

The vet I refused to go to grabbed Yoshi by the collar and dragged her out from under a chair. 1. Yoshi is not usually a fearful dog. She wasn't hiding she was laying there waiting for the vet to come in. 2. After that she was scared and he scruffed my 35 lbs dog and drug her out again. All for a shot that should have just been me telling her to get up and jump onto the table and lay down.

Before I take my dogs I always flat out ask them if they plan on taking my dog where I can't see her. If they say yes I don't even bother going there.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
The vet I refused to go to grabbed Yoshi by the collar and dragged her out from under a chair. 1. Yoshi is not usually a fearful dog. She wasn't hiding she was laying there waiting for the vet to come in. 2. After that she was scared and he scruffed my 35 lbs dog and drug her out again. All for a shot that should have just been me telling her to get up and jump onto the table and lay down.

Before I take my dogs I always flat out ask them if they plan on taking my dog where I can't see her. If they say yes I don't even bother going there.
It's a legal issue here when it comes to blood draws, the owners can't be present due to the possibility of them fainting.

Thankfully, my vet is willing to risk a lawsuit on the fact that I will not faint or freak out and lets me in the back with them, as Renegade, as we recently learned, is extremely aggressive and protective of his property and other ferrets when I'm not around.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
It's a legal issue here when it comes to blood draws, the owners can't be present due to the possibility of them fainting.
:O Do people actually faint?

For me I just like seeing what they are doing with my dog. It's not that I think they are going to do something horrible to her back there. It's just I feel a lot safer and I can keep track of what they did for Yoshi if I can actually see it.

Also Yoshi is cool with other people and I can leave her with people. But if I stay in a room and they try to take her away when she knows I'm still there Yoshi is not happy about that. It's a lot easier to do it in front of me where she will be calm and just lay there than drag her off and have her struggle the whole time while trying to get back to whatever room I'm in.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Dafuq?

I just have not had a reason for my dogs to see a vet much. Our vet in Lubbock kinda knew Terra because she did all her health testing. But overall, I do a lot of minor things myself. Plus I don't follow that yearly stringent vaccine protocall, so, yeah.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...