Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Top Dog

Default Having a relationship with a vet...

I know at least a few people on here don't have a relationship with a veterinarian, or even a vet clinic.

What is your reasoning for that?

I seriously don't know what I'd do without the vets my dogs see routinely!

It's not that my dogs and cats were problematic and had to go into the vet all the time, and it's not like I enjoy spending hundreds of thousands of dollars, but I LOVE knowing that there is a relationship built on mutual trust that I can rely on.

When my cat was bitten in the head, there was no way I could pay the bill immediately. I was very up front about that and they had no qualms about letting me make payments every 2 weeks when I got paid, because they knew I would pay them off no matter what I had to do. If I hadn't had a relationship with a vet, I probably would have had to euthanize my cat.

Are there just no vets you trust or...?
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 06-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Blackout

A distant uncle of mine was a vet for many years....We never brought Mina (our old Shiba) to him for some reason - just never really got that close, more to do so on a personal level than professional I suppose.

My relationship with my current vet is...alright. We have a good rapport, Katalin seems comfortable with him and she isn't wary of him (yet), and he's been generous with knowledge and kind - if not a little rushed during exams.

She is not a problematic dog health wise and I hope it stays that way. Touch wood. But I'm happy I do have a rapport and am building a relationship with our current vet =)
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 06-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Top Dog

I haven't found one that I really like as of yet.

I've seen two traditional vets. I hated the first, and was so-so about the second.

I'm currently seeing a holistic vet, but she isn't a full service practice, and I really would like a holistic vet that I can see for everything! I'm going to try out Lake Harriet next, since I've heard good things about them from many people.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I had a vet back home, but since we moved I have not had a chance yet to get a new vet, its in the plan this week actually to stop by and see who the vets are and what the clinic offers.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 06-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaLilBitaLuck View Post
I haven't found one that I really like as of yet.

I've seen two traditional vets. I hated the first, and was so-so about the second.

I'm currently seeing a holistic vet, but she isn't a full service practice, and I really would like a holistic vet that I can see for everything! I'm going to try out Lake Harriet next, since I've heard good things about them from many people.
The only thing I don't love about Lake Harriet is the price tag. If I didn't have ways to save money, they would be my primary clinic without a doubt.

They are seriously THE best about animal handling, I love, love, love it so hard. They're also really good about communication and understanding my need TO take some services elsewhere in order to continue to see them at all.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 06-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Top Dog

I didn't for a long time. The first vet which is about 5 min for me I didn't like. I'll trust him to do things like vaccines for Yoshi. But he was mean to Yoshi one time when I was there so she will NEVER go there and stay where I can't see her.

The 2nd is about an hour and a half away. They are SUPER expensive. Probably triple what the one near me is. But they know what they are doing and they are the ones that saved Yoshi when she bloated.

I like them but even just a check up was $100 which is crazy around here.

I have found a new vet that is super nice and actually dotes on Yoshi even though she's not a smaller dog and they are SUPER reasonably priced. So that is going to be our regular vet.

I've always known having a relationship with a vet is the best idea but up until now I just hadn't found one that we clicked with enough to want to constantly use them.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
The only thing I don't love about Lake Harriet is the price tag. If I didn't have ways to save money, they would be my primary clinic without a doubt.

They are seriously THE best about animal handling, I love, love, love it so hard. They're also really good about communication and understanding my need TO take some services elsewhere in order to continue to see them at all.
That's good to hear. I really need to have a two-way communication and discussion with my vet, not just be told "You need to do X, Y, and Z." I also need someone that's willing to take the time to feed Jack lots of treats so that they become his friend lol.

The vet that's a block away is extremely well-priced. Rocket's (the cocker spaniel foster) incident only cost me about $150, which I thought was extremely reasonable for everything that they did. I strongly dislike the head veterinarian/owner though, and will only use him for emergencies. I did hear, however, that he's turning over the day-to-day appointments to a younger vet, so that might be an option.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Twin 2

All the vets around here I haven't been super impressed with and the office visits are too expensive to make a habit of going in just so they know me and the dogs. I do better saving the money for when something really happens rather than on office visit to say hi.

I would love love LOVE to have a relationship with a vet, but as it is after my dogs aren't puppies they go into the vet maybe once a year if that. Traveler hasn't been in there since he was 9 months old. And once I get him his three year rabies I doubt I'll be back before that unless something happens.

Maybe if I had found one I really like and I would be in there with all the dogs throughout the years it would be different. Btu as it is I've been to three or four vets with with two dogs.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Top Dog

I have that relationship with my horse's vet. My horse sees the vet a LOT more than the dogs do!

My dogs go in so seldom that it isn't the same.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Let it be

My vet does take payment plans. My animals are healthy so I don't take them to the vet. Just like when I'm doing well I do not go for check ups. I don't do well checks. However, I set myself up with a vet I know will take payments just incase.