Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 06-17-2012, 06:43 PM
APBT crazy!

Oh, I didn't know that sorry.. I hope you can get her to the vet as soon as you can then!
Old 06-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Behavior Nerd

Once you get her seen, you might want to consider opening a bank account in your own name *just* for pet emergencies. Even if you just put in $10/mo it'll at least give you a buffer you can draw on without dealing with Josh's weirdness.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Top Dog

I would do the same as mentioned above, pay for the office visit and see if you can cover the meds on your next pay day! Sorry it isnt getting better Amber For now I'd clean it real well and let it air out as much as you can! Hope your girl is better soon!!!!
Old 06-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Do you have any kind of backup credit card? If not I would look into getting one, without Josh's name on it, just you. That way if this happens again you can just go, and then pay it off as soon as your normal paycheck goes through.

Sorry
That looks pretty nasty.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Once you get her seen, you might want to consider opening a bank account in your own name *just* for pet emergencies. Even if you just put in $10/mo it'll at least give you a buffer you can draw on without dealing with Josh's weirdness.
And this.

Is your credit bad or just non-existent? I was able to get a Capital One card a week after I turned 18, with a non-existant credit score. The limit was only like $500 at first, but they raised it after the first month when I paid the balance in full, and then they raised it again six months later. I would still look into credit cards - you never know until you look!
Old 06-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

It's bad bad. Without getting into it... I made some terrible choices credit wise when I was 18-21ish thinking it wouldn't bite me in the ass and it ultimately did. I was an idiot and at almost 26 years old I've grown up a lot but my credit is still squashed and its been slow go trying to raise it back up. It's one of those things I really regret screwing up on but unfortunately it is what it is now.

I'm hoping my vet will be able to work something out with me.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:36 PM
SevenSins

That looks, to me, like the same type of sores my AmBulldog gets on his feet due to allergies and exactly what it looks like when he licks at them. If you can't afford to see the vet, you can try this and see if it helps... Do you have a set of dog clippers, or can you borrow a set? If you can, I would shave the entire foot with a #15 blade or as close as you can get to that, against the grain of the hair. I would soak the foot before shaving in warm water for a few minutes to loosen up the crust and gooey bits, and then pick/pull as much of that off as you can get off; you want it off of there to help with healing and shaving off the scabs is more uncomfortable than doing it this way. Squeeze and pat dry as much as possible, especially between the toes and pads. Use a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and white vinegar on cottonballs all over where those sores are; I hate to say it, it's going to sting pretty badly, but that should clean it up and then dry it out. Keeping it dried out is crucial. I wouldn't put anything on it, no socks, etc, but keep an e-collar on her to prevent her from licking at it which keeps it moist and gooey.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Top Dog

If you have any lavender essential oil (NOT perfume oil), try like maybe 3 to 5 drops in the worst places after you clean it out really good. Vinegar is a good idea, or try witch hazel - both will sting, try blowing on it as you apply them.
The lavender EO is very healing, has both antibacterial & antifungal properties, and *most* dogs hate it and won’t lick or bite where it has been applied.
I use it on hot spots all the time and it clears them right up.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 06-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Are you dead yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
That looks, to me, like the same type of sores my AmBulldog gets on his feet due to allergies and exactly what it looks like when he licks at them. If you can't afford to see the vet, you can try this and see if it helps... Do you have a set of dog clippers, or can you borrow a set? If you can, I would shave the entire foot with a #15 blade or as close as you can get to that, against the grain of the hair. I would soak the foot before shaving in warm water for a few minutes to loosen up the crust and gooey bits, and then pick/pull as much of that off as you can get off; you want it off of there to help with healing and shaving off the scabs is more uncomfortable than doing it this way. Squeeze and pat dry as much as possible, especially between the toes and pads. Use a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and white vinegar on cottonballs all over where those sores are; I hate to say it, it's going to sting pretty badly, but that should clean it up and then dry it out. Keeping it dried out is crucial. I wouldn't put anything on it, no socks, etc, but keep an e-collar on her to prevent her from licking at it which keeps it moist and gooey.
I agree with this. I was also going to suggest shaving her foot, I hadn't thought about the alcohol and vinegar but that's a decent idea too. Maybe hold off on that coconut oil which is probably keeping things pretty moist, and use lavender essential oil (maybe mix a couple drops lavender EO with a couple drops coco oil) like danefied suggested after you've let the foot dry out.

If you know how to dose antibiotics or if you can just look it up online, you can see if anyone you know has a round that they were giving to their animals and didn't complete. You can give her that in the meantime - I've had to do that a couple times with my cats. A lot of owners will start giving antibiotics and stop giving them a couple of days in because they think everything is all better.

I know it sucks not having the ability to go to the vet right now. I have that issue all the time in mexico. So just relax, there's a lot you can do to self-vet (I call it ghetto-vetting) until you can get her seen by someone good.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Top Dog

Any updates on the situation? Did you let it air out? Does it look better today?

Old 06-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

You might also try an epsom salt soak if you have any. Warm water, add some epsom salt, and then soak it as long as she will tolerate. That's what we did with Auggie's foot last year when it got red and nasty and he kept chewing it. Just don't let her drink it or lick too much off her foot, epsom salt will also give them the poos if they ingest it. =P

There ARE credit cards out there for people with bad credit, but the APR is usually really high and sometimes there's a fee just to get one. I wouldn't recommend one if you're getting it just for emergencies (like this) because you could get in big trouble really fast if you aren't able to pay it off... =/ BUT you may want to look into getting one and charging just a little bit to it every month, only what you know you can afford to pay off in full, to start rebuilding your credit.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog