Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-16-2012, 12:55 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Default Another Hair Thread.

I've been growing my hair out since September of last year. No cutting or even trimming. It was cut in Sept down to about an inch and a half to two inches long all over (very short, boyish haircut) Now it's just a little tiny bit past the tops of my shoulders. For the most part it's one length all over, with the front being a little bit shorter than the back, but not by a whole lot as my hair grows pretty fast.

It's getting to the point where I am constantly annoyed by it, and put it into a short ponytail and tuck it up under my hat (patrol style hat, not baseball cap) and I'm seriously considering chopping it all off if I can't figure out someway to manage it easily.

Id like to braid it, but every tutorial I can find it insanely hard for me to understand. Even the videos. I'd really like to figure out how to braid it in two braids beside my ears and curve down to the back and then pin that part up. Unfortunately, I'm not super coordinated, so this has been an exercise in frustration, because I have no idea what that type of braid is called, and every braiding tutorial they all have hair either way longer than mine, or at the very least a few inches longer than mine.

I know it can be done, because I've seen it, but the fact that everyone's hair is longer, plus the not knowing the braids name has turned up practically nothing. I've sort of half arsed figured out a braid, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for, but ideally I want to find one I can sleep it because I don't wash my hair every day, and something that will go under a patrol cap since I wear that working with dogs all day anyway. It's too short for a real ponytail (well, not really, but there's only a couple inches hanging out of the ponytail) and it's stupid thick and hard to manage. I need to figure out how to do it myself, because Steven can't even figure out a simple braid.

Or maybe a book that I can find to teach him to just braid my hair and I'll get him to do it, but it almost seems like it's in that in between stage where it's just a pain in the butt to try to do anything with, and I either need to gtfo it and suck it up for another six months or chop it off again.

It also feels like it will NEVER be mid back again, despite the fact that that's really where I'd like it to be (I have pictures of my hair that long when I was a lot younger, but I can't seem to get that length again) and I'm despairing that it's close to terminal length and will never be that long again. ARGH.

Anyway, help, advice, anything is appreciated!
Old 06-16-2012, 01:06 AM
Love My Mutt <3

My advice is to chop it all off, cause i get real annoyed by hair too LOL as soon as I find time, mines getting chopped

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-16-2012, 01:50 AM
Felurian

After spending a lifetime fighting with that "terminal length" frustration, after cleaning up my diet (dropping gluten, dropping excess carbs, upping protein and good fats) and ditching chemicals on my hair it's growing like MAD. The back has gone from mid shoulder blade around February to well below the bottom of my bra strap -- about midway to my waist. And it's back to being THICK. And when I did go in to have it shaped up last, after several months, my hairdresser was amazed because I had no split ends at all. For my hair that's a freaking miracle.

My hair has NEVER grown at anything more than a snail's pace before.

So, that doesn't help you with braiding or styling (I never put mine up, can't stand it -- my bangs are usually down in my eyes), but don't let that terminal length thing get into your head -- or your hair

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-16-2012, 01:56 AM
Let it be

I did a super short pixie and have trimed off my back mullet a few times but I think our hair sounds about the same length. Are you able to post a picture? I can show you what I do to mine if you want. I've learned a few tricks on how to deal with my hair at any length while growing it out and they all take about a minute because I am not the type to fuss over my hair.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:32 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

I'll take one when I get off work I don't think I've got one of how short it was because I mostly hate how i look in pictures
Old 06-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Behavior Nerd

You might be looking for french braid instructions given your description, but keep in mind that braiding does take a LOT of length, so your hair may still be too short to do it up exactly like you want right now. French braiding is hard to do on yourself, but it can be done!

Old 06-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Behavior Nerd

Did a quick google and came up with these pics and a fairly straightforward description:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2330073_fren...-pigtails.html

Old 06-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

The french pigtails was what I was looking for! I did it last night with an extremely thick braid (albeit slopply) and I still had enough left over on the ends to have to clip down. I think it should definitely be long enough to wear like that until its long enough to braid down one side and come around.

Its just ridiculously hard for me to do by myself right now. I can English braid no problem, but my hair isn't long enough to do a single braid down the back yet.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Behavior Nerd

Glad I could help with a name! Of course now I'm thinking of trying it with my (much shorter) hair since I found some pics with short hair in braids!

Old 06-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Are you dead yet?

Braiding is super hard and it's something i just can't do on my own hair. Mine's too thin and slippery, it's almost like a small child's hair.

I would recommend trimming the ends every month. It's something i neglected to do for a while and I saw my hair growth almost completely stop.