Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-17-2012, 05:47 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Nothing to add except - just go at it!!n We'd never done it before till recently, and learnt as I went along, with the odd nosy on youtube at ideas.

We now have a whole host of new tricks

My favourite being "bad dog" where she covers her eyes with her paw Took awhile that one (well... when I say that, I mean about 3 sessions), and involved luring at first to get her nose under her paw!

But you can't really mess up.... so just enjoy and practice!!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Little dog, big voice

Thanks to everyone for all the input!

I think I might be a tad ridiculously proud of how fast Cali is catching on. She now associates the word "touch" with putting her paw on something, although I do have to point to what object I want her to touch. So far, she's been touching things as small as her angry birds ball to things like lotion bottles.

I did have a short session on it just a few moments ago, but today I'm going to try something new.. although I'm still brainstorming an idea. I'm going to try to do at least one new trick every other day and then I'll have one session for practicing the ones she already learned.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:59 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
I put a bowl of treats out in plain view and within the dog’s reach (because I also train for food manners when shaping), and make of point of click, pause, THEN reach for the reward.
That's what I meant by putting them somewhere near, not that you have to "hide" them - because as Linds pointed out, as soon as you reach for one the dog knows where it is.

It's more that I want to 1. Not give away my intentions too much, and 2. Start teaching that the treat will come, even if it's not instantaneous. Makes it much easier to mark things spontaneously when I'm not necessarily in "training mode" but they do something I want to capture - they learn to trust me that the treat is coming even if I don't have it right there.

Also, I am not so hot at fading lures/treats, and that's easier for ME if I don't have them right on my person.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
No, you don’t have to hide the treats, just have a neutral stance that does not involve your hand in the bowl or hand in the treat pouch. Reason being a lot of dogs end up watching your hand for “hints” that they’re doing the right thing instead of paying attention to what they’re doing with their body and listening for the click. Its amazing what dogs can pick up on. Just playing with treats in your hand can be a clue to some dogs.

I put a bowl of treats out in plain view and within the dog’s reach (because I also train for food manners when shaping), and make of point of click, pause, THEN reach for the reward.

Hope that makes sense.
Okay, thanks!
Old 06-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Reason being a lot of dogs end up watching your hand for “hints” that they’re doing the right thing instead of paying attention to what they’re doing with their body and listening for the click.
Ok, I got what you're saying now!