Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-16-2012, 05:04 AM
*Now with Snark*

I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to unsell people from breeds and breed groups. Living with the wrong dog - SUCKS. For instance while I like the company of my brother's working line sheltie - she would absolutely drive me bonkers to live with. She's go go go go go go bark bark yippity bark bark bark barkity bark bark circle it circle it circle it 24/7/365. I'm sure she's an exceptional sheltie for actually working on a farm but for living in a the average home I don't think there's anything wrong with saying - this dog may cause anxiety disorders and may wear holes in your lawn herding rocks.

Lexus is an extreme but she is who she is and is part of the spectrum you may encounter while selecting/receiving a herding breed puppy.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:10 AM
Top Dog

Trying to unsell is one thing, but it drives me batty when I question someone about a breed they answer me like incapable of ever owning one. I was asking someone about their BC the other day and they just kept answering me like "His energy level is ridiculous, a lot more than I think you could handle...and he's hard headed, so he would need someone with experience, not just a kid." No one ever started out with all the information about dogs ever, and I'm pretty sure most of us started out blindly. Just drives me nuts when people behave holier than thou.

That said, I don't find herding breeds to be any more energetic in general than most sport/hunting oriented dog breeds. You do have those that are worse than others, and those that aren't as energetic.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 06-16-2012, 05:38 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I wonder this too..... My experience has been meeting all kinds of owners with all kinds of breeds, and no two are alike.

Anyone can own any breed if they want too.... It just depends what they wants... I've never met a nuts herding breed dog.... Granted I don't spend time round working bred dogs, but how many working bred breeders sell to average owners???
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-16-2012, 05:57 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
Trying to unsell is one thing, but it drives me batty when I question someone about a breed they answer me like incapable of ever owning one. I was asking someone about their BC the other day and they just kept answering me like "His energy level is ridiculous, a lot more than I think you could handle...and he's hard headed, so he would need someone with experience, not just a kid." No one ever started out with all the information about dogs ever, and I'm pretty sure most of us started out blindly. Just drives me nuts when people behave holier than thou.
That would totally **** me off.

I can't say much about herding breeds because I don't know a whole lot about them. The ones I have met are extremely high energy dogs and are generally on the go.

I think anyone can match a certain breed if they put their energy in to it/provide what that individual dog needs. My Kelpie x ACD is very low key, she has plenty of energy and can exercise/play for ages but she's not bouncing/pacing around all the time, she can easily relax at home and I like that. Though, her energy level isn't compared to any another herding breed I've met, she's pretty chilled even when out exercising. She's fearful and reactive though. I didn't know them being so reactive was be a breed trait. I am in love with the breed though and I plan to own herding breeds in the future, I want a few different herding breeds at the moment. I know I wouldn't be ready for one with such a high energy level right now but in the future, I will be.

I also am in love with Bull Breeds. I also ADORE Rottweilers and I will own one, one day but I know I need to learn a lot more about the breed/dogs/training before I get one.

Herding breeds have my heart though and I've changed my life for my girl so I can do it for any future dogs. They are everything I want in a dog and I'll always have one. Though, I am glad my two are low key because right now in my life, I do not want a high energy dog.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:04 AM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Anyone can own any breed if they want too.... It just depends what they wants...
Maybe they *can*, but should they?

I work every day with the dog-owning public, and there are a lot of people who own dogs and shouldn't, period. And there are a lot of people who own high-energy, high-requirement dogs and shouldn't. And there are a lot of people who own powerful dogs, and shouldn't.

Because I find that a large proportion of people don't make time for their dogs. And a lot of the herding breeds require heavy daily physical and mental stimulation. You can't just keep 'em on the couch. And a lot of them, when they are puppies, require a lot of socialization because they do have a tendency to shyness/reactivity, and a lot of people aren't up for that.

I guess I don't have enough faith in people to completely change their habits and personalities because they bought/adopted a certain kind of dog.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 06-16-2012, 06:16 AM
Top Dog

I think, as others have said, the match is more important than the breed. I got big laughs from my family last week when Gusto spent the day with my trainer, and when I picked him up, she raved about how "he's just such an easy dog". Because...well, he is. For her. For me. He drives my family up a wall. Could other people own him? Sure. Anyone who was willing to give him an hour or so of off leash running and half hour or so of mental work a day would have a super, fun, trainable, non-reactive dog who doesn't ever stress. Plenty of pet people could do it. Plenty couldn't. His littermate, who was the higher drive puppy, is in a pet home with several young kids. They adore her.

I think some of it comes from protectiveness of their breed, but a lot comes of the fact that when we are familiar with something, we are certain it is unique. And of course it is - probably just not to the extent we think. And *all* dogs have a decent amount of adaptability. Of course most Mals aren't going to be successful in a "here's our 1/2 acre back yard, you will never leave it" situation. But does Every. Single. One. need a full time trainer working them in IPO, agility, and chess daily? Of course not. Border collies are obsessive and need 6 hours of work a day, Mals are alligators with fur, Filas are actually a federal agent/dog hybrid that poops magic, chihuahuas are snippy little demons...except when they aren't. Do I let people know the downside of owning a border collie/terrier mix? Sure. But I wouldn't tell them "you can't do this". Because really - I'm not that special.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:24 AM
Top Dog

A little OT, I think this can happen in reverse too. Sometimes I feel sorry for the 'easy' dog breeds. The ones that are touted as not needing a great deal of exercise and are really easy-going. I just wonder if sometimes that translates as NO exercise and the same old boring routine for dogs that seem to just cope.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:38 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Perfectly stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I think, as others have said, the match is more important than the breed. I got big laughs from my family last week when Gusto spent the day with my trainer, and when I picked him up, she raved about how "he's just such an easy dog". Because...well, he is. For her. For me. He drives my family up a wall. Could other people own him? Sure. Anyone who was willing to give him an hour or so of off leash running and half hour or so of mental work a day would have a super, fun, trainable, non-reactive dog who doesn't ever stress. Plenty of pet people could do it. Plenty couldn't. His littermate, who was the higher drive puppy, is in a pet home with several young kids. They adore her.

I think some of it comes from protectiveness of their breed, but a lot comes of the fact that when we are familiar with something, we are certain it is unique. And of course it is - probably just not to the extent we think. And *all* dogs have a decent amount of adaptability. Of course most Mals aren't going to be successful in a "here's our 1/2 acre back yard, you will never leave it" situation. But does Every. Single. One. need a full time trainer working them in IPO, agility, and chess daily? Of course not. Border collies are obsessive and need 6 hours of work a day, Mals are alligators with fur, Filas are actually a federal agent/dog hybrid that poops magic, chihuahuas are snippy little demons...except when they aren't. Do I let people know the downside of owning a border collie/terrier mix? Sure. But I wouldn't tell them "you can't do this". Because really - I'm not that special.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 06-16-2012, 07:37 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsi View Post
A little OT, I think this can happen in reverse too. Sometimes I feel sorry for the 'easy' dog breeds. The ones that are touted as not needing a great deal of exercise and are really easy-going. I just wonder if sometimes that translates as NO exercise and the same old boring routine for dogs that seem to just cope.
I also sell the hard parts of any breed first. Every breed has its downfalls. To pretend otherwise is irresponsible. To encourage people to go into a breed only knowing the "ohhhh shiiiiiney" is a very good way to take a perfectly stable puppy, screw it up, and have it end up in a rescue setting when the owners are in over their heads and claiming "but I thought..!"

I figure as a dog owner it's your Job to do your best to let the less desirable traits be known. If people can tolerate in varying levels through the cons they are a great candidate for the pros, IMO.

In the end a lot of the warning off is for the dogs safety, not the owners.

This isn't anything new. I grew up with pit bulls and most people in the breed were ferociously protective of the breed. To be very honest I find pit bulls to be a generally breezy dog to own. They give so much pleasure it's hard to see the DA extra safety, the community caution, and so forth, as cons but that's not for everyone. Of course I also thought my pit bulls were high energy before my Malinois. Shamoo still puts most mals to a challenge as far as drive goes but she also seems content with hanging out sans stimuli, the Malinois are constantly looking for their next toy, game, trouble. That alone can set plenty on edge.

Different strokes for sure and yeah, everyone can own any breed but truly they shouldn't. We would barely need rescue if this weren't true.

ETA I do believe tone is important when entertaining the why you should be cautious before exploring this breed or dog. I was told point blank by a rehoming that sorry this isn't the dog for you and honestly, I am be an anomali, I was happy to hear someone be more interested in the well being of the dog than the money I was offering. As a general though I think it's rude to presume others cannot handle what you can, a polite method is sharing what you have found to be harder or what you think would be difficult for others and let them chose themselves.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm All Ears

I should add that this was sparked by someone that is looking to adopt an adult and was going to put in an hour and a bit weekdays, and more on the weekends for exercise. Was told pretty much not even to look at herding breed dog individuals because it just wouldn't be enough time.

Quote:
My trainer has been raving about Mia (although last week she got to see her stubborn side finally), which is funny because my family complains so much about her.

Quote:
I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to unsell people from breeds and breed groups. Living with the wrong dog - SUCKS. For instance while I like the company of my brother's working line sheltie - she would absolutely drive me bonkers to live with. She's go go go go go go bark bark yippity bark bark bark barkity bark bark circle it circle it circle it 24/7/365. I'm sure she's an exceptional sheltie for actually working on a farm but for living in a the average home I don't think there's anything wrong with saying - this dog may cause anxiety disorders and may wear holes in your lawn herding rocks.

Lexus is an extreme but she is who she is and is part of the spectrum you may encounter while selecting/receiving a herding breed puppy.
I'm just curious if he does any kind of sport or anything with her? Shelties are pretty quirky at times but the ones I meet around here at agility and the ones I've owned have all been so easy.