Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Let it be

I don't find herding breeds difficult to live with at all. At least not certain breeds but those are my breeds of choice. We fit well. I'd be much more awkward living with the majority of labs even if the energy level was the same. I'm a Border Collie gal through and through. Give me a hyper one or a lazy one and I make iet work. Give me something else and I just feel awkward and like I can't meet that dog's needs as well because it isn't second nature.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:02 PM
BusterLove

I like herding breeds because in a lot of ways they ARN'T difficult.
Yes, all ours comes with their own challenges - I'm the first to say I can struggle with Quinn at times, there are plenty of people I would say should never have a dog like her. She's by no means been an "easy" dog but the things she throws at me are the things I like working through. And I know that with stimulation, excercise, plenty of food and a place to sleep everyday she's pretty easy to live with.

Give me a spitz breed or a hard headed terrier though and I would struggle a lot more.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:05 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Are they easy to train? Largely.

Are they easy to live with? Nope. They have endless energy, less than awesome off-switches, prone to obsessive behaviors, can be less than socially normal (not your stereotypical golden), can be smarter than you, and can be extremely forceful.

Are they alone in this? Nope. Most people have no ability, desire, or reason to own a true blue pit bull either. My client with a Kishu Inu and a Hokkaido Inu bewilders me. They are hard to work with, they have tons of quirks, they howl all of the time, they can be extremely snarky and even more extremely hard to motivate. I also have a client who desperately wants to do agility but she has a shiba inu and well, she's just... upitcreek.

Would I have it any other way? Nope.

Are we being elitist? Some yes, some no. Some of us are making an effort to protect our breeds, some are proud, some are serious.

I don't believe in the slightest it's a matter of wrong dog. I know for a fact my dogs are hard to own but they are perfect for us.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:08 PM
overdogged

I don't find Steve to be that easy. Awesome, yes. Appealing, absolutely. But he is a challenge for me. And he is certainly quirky.

I couldn't believe it when I took Steve to an agility seminar a couple months ago and he was the only BC there.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:18 PM
BusterLove

Most seminars I go to (unless they are herding clinics) are dominated by showie BC's. The last one we were at, my mother had Poppy out and some people were asking about Koolies, she said "they're a working breed, a bit less nuts than a border collie" everyone laughed and someone said "you've just offended half the people here" - Mum pointed out she had to live with one and everyone just sort of went "oh, working border collie"

Quinn's just come into heat, she's all flirty and silly but she looks ridiculous, we've been describing her as a "body builder in a bikini wearing a strap on" - Buster is a little intimidated by this woman that wants to be his girlfriend. lol
"Quirky, intelligent and forceful" is exactly how I'd describe her (thanks Adrianne) and I usually do list her bad points before her good points to the general public if they ask about her just because I hate to think what would happen to a dog like her in a home that didn't go above and beyond to provide for her.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Let it be

Yeah I don't think you'd want to deal with some of their quirks if you aren't attracted to the breeds. If you like the dogs you make it work.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:34 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
It's not only herding breeds. You pretty much have those people in every breed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
If you like the dogs you make it work.
Yes, a million times yes. Honestly, I think a person's traits are often more important than the breed's traits... someone who is adaptable and flexible can have almost any breed of dog IMO.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Top Dog

I think Elsie is extremely easy to live with. She's a super easy dog... for me. I do warn folks that meet her once and 'want one' though, because during finals weeks, or when I've been super busy, she becomes decidedly less easy to live with. And frankly, most people I know don't want to spend 1-4 hours a day interacting directly with their dog... but that doesn't mean that herding dogs are harder than other dogs. Just that, Elsie's a very soft, very quirky dog, and in a lot of homes, she'd be either a hot mess or a danger.

So I can understand the urge to warn people off your breed.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Fishies!

To me, people play up the energy too much. If herding dogs in general have issues, I'd place it more on the very common neurotic behaviors and poor sociability (DA/reactivity). Buster is a bit of a nightmare in the suburbs, and no amount of running is going to fix that. He'd be a pretty easy dog on land though, easier than the retriever I have.

As a group, I think it is fair to say they are more likely to be reactive than other groups. On the other hand, they're a lot more willing to work and listen to their owner than the dogs in a lot of other groups.

I keep saying to myself, NO MORE HERDING dogs unless I have 3 acres (10... 100 would be better ) Going the rescue route, I think I'll have an easier time finding a dog who doesn't think the world is ending if the neighbor uses their garage door in another group.

Maybe a husky. Training sit and loose leash walking might be 2 or 3 times harder, and a spitz group dog might never be good off leash. In the suburbs though there aren't too many off leash opportunities, so its a give and take between a person and a situation. I love the instant reaction to a command that Buster and many herding dogs have... but it can be a bit of trouble when they react to something else!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I see this a lot. Even people that own one type of herding breed are actively discouraged from getting a different breed. I hate to say it, but especially owning GSDs I get it from Malinois owners a lot. I couldn't POSSIBLY know what it's like to own a Mal because GSDs just "don't compare" and it's honestly quite f*cking offensive. I know what kind of dog I can handle, thanks.