Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
But, I really don't think it's unique to any breed or type of dog. And I do think there is this.....high horse? that herding breed people can get on. It seems like a cliquey group, but that could just be because I'm involved in that type so I see it more.
This. I think that pretty much all dog owners who are active in the dog world do this. I think it's half being part of the clique and half trying to keep 'their' breed out of the hands of irresponsible owners.

Now us mix owners... we're just confused.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:20 PM
I'm All Ears

Oh I know I do that with Mia sometimes lol. She's not nearly as bad as I make her sound but she's also not an 'easy' dog by most peoples' standards. But she's not hard if you put time in to her.

I do get that but I don't get how much generalizing people do for the herding group in particular. A collie, malinois, sheltie, and OES are pretty far apart from each other.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:34 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
You pretty much have those people in every breed. It's ridiculous
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I definitely think it does depend on the person's personality probably more so than the dog's personality in most cases.
This.

Quote:
But, I really don't think it's unique to any breed or type of dog. And I do think there is this.....high horse? that herding breed people can get on. It seems like a cliquey group, but that could just be because I'm involved in that type so I see it more.
And this too.

I think part of it is that herding breeds tend to be popular for sport and as a result people who want to be "top" in their sport of choice get a herding breed even though they aren't a great match and end up really struggling. And since they are performance folks ofter that struggle ends up being very public in the form of frustrating screaming banshee dogs.

But it's not just herding breeds. Gundog folks can be the same way. I've seen SO many people commenting that, for instance, FCRs are so over the top and so hard to train because they are high energy workaholics yet very soft...or that Labs are just impossible and so hard to own because they are crazed energy all day long...field golden, Weims, Vizslak, GSP, etc....in every case they have quite a rep and in every case people within the breed are sure their dogs take the most special and exceptional owners...in reality it's just that they need an owner who's the right match for the breed and individual...just like any dog...and that right match can take many many different forms.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 06-15-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm All Ears

Linds you should try being the only person with a nonherder and the only person with a tiny dog at a training class. We've gotten some interesting looks on first days before.

Quote:
case people within the breed are sure their dogs take the most special and exceptional owners
Are you telling me I'm not special?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Felurian

It's always baffled me because they've always seemed easy to me.

Maybe it's not that the dogs are hard to deal with, maybe it's more that it's an owner who picked the wrong dog?

For me, Kharma -- definitely considered an extreme breed -- is the easiest dog I've ever lived with. That really includes Buffy and Shiva for that matter. Maybe if it's a good match the dog isn't "difficult?"

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Linds you should try being the only person with a nonherder and the only person with a tiny dog at a training class. We've gotten some interesting looks on first days before.
You know, I'm typically the only one WITH a herder. And even in agility class there is a GSD but other than that Traveler is the only herder
Old 06-15-2012, 10:44 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Our class:
4 BCs
2 Aussies
1 Dobe whose owner has put MACHs on 3-4 dogs
1 Groenendael
4 Shelties
1 2 year old Flat-Coated Retriever

Quote:
Are you telling me I'm not special?
You're every bit as special as you want to be

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 06-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
It takes a certain kind of person to live with a herding breed, especially specific ones. That goes for many different dogs in different groups though.
^this.

You just have to know the breed, simple. Border Collie-type dogs are super easy for me, but give me a Beagle and it's like pulling teeth.

Personally, I don't understand why herding type dogs are labeled as quirky, hard, etc. But I sure don't question it with the general public. Whether it's training, breeding, whatever, Blaze is so easy! He's fun, he's cuddly, he's a listener, he's a go-anywhere type, he's quiet, he's fast, he's smart. He's just super easy for me. And most the herd-y dogs have been like that.

Maybe the majority of the dogs I'm around are herding dogs, so I don't know any other easy? lol

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 06-15-2012, 10:49 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
You know, I'm typically the only one WITH a herder. And even in agility class there is a GSD but other than that Traveler is the only herder
My first agility class with Mia was a corgi, an ACD, 2 Aussies, and a BC. And then Mia.

Summer's first agility class was 3 BCs, an ACD mix, and two aussies. And then Summer and a JRT. Summer's second agility class was an Aussie, a BC, and a sheltie and a toy poodle.

My class right now, my instructor has BCs and a Welsh sheepdog but the other dogs are all bully types and a JRT. Will be interesting to see what is in Summer's class starting next week.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by shai View Post
you're every bit as special as you want to be

(stupid lower case needed)