Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Little dog, big voice

Default Good dog life jacket brands?

Since it's summer, and Cali is fully grown (at the grand total of 5.0lbs), I figure that it's about time to buy her a nice quality life jacket. It's not that she can't swim, I just think she'd enjoy it more if she didn't have to paddle her little heart out just to get places. (although I do keep my hands underneath her just in case)

So, does anyone have some life jacket brands that they could recommend? (and ones that have super small sizes!)

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Top Dog

We have Outward Hound brand and EzyDog brand.

The Outward Hound one, I liked, but found it was a bit on the "bulkier" side. It also has the typical velcro strap underneath the belly (which is normal on most life vests) but Jackson can't stand anything going under his belly, hence why I bought the EzyDog life jacket (which is more like a "harness" as it's nylon straps that buckle underneath his belly).

I personally think the EzyDog one would fit a 5lb Pap better than the Outward Hound but maybe that's just me. I would say that the Outward Hound seems a bit more secure ... but for Jackson's case, it's mainly just used for swimming in the backyard pool, it works perfect. Like, when it comes to if I had to pick him up out of the water by the handle .. I'd want to use the Outward Hound as it's supporting the whole belly with the big flap, whereas the Ezydog just has two nylon straps. I tried to do it the other day and he kind of whined like it hurt his belly when all of his weight was being lifted by two little straps, if that makes sense.

Here's the micro ones:
http://store.ezydog.com/micro-doggy-floatation-device/

Jackson is 16lbs and it says the micro is for 15lbs and under but he fits fine in the XS Micro (girth 12-19.5", length 10-13.5"). It's a bit shorter in the back than his Outward Hound but I like that better.

Ezydog:

Outward Hound:

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Little dog, big voice

Thanks!

I'll look into both but I'll likely go with the EzyDog one as she'll likely just be swimming in our pool anyways, and if we do go anywhere else, I'd be swimming with her so the straps wouldn't likely be a problem. I'd just like something that stays in place and doesn't ride up on her neck or something.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Top Dog

We have the outward hound one for blitz when he goes on the boat. Think we will stick with it for the others if we get more. He is generally the only one that goes out though!

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 06-26-2012, 08:10 AM
cRaZy AbOuT DOGS

We put on the life jackets when we go surfing. I got the malts their very first life jackets late last year. We got them the Ruffwear brand. Let me see if I can find pictures for you.

A couple of Dock Divers live here.
Small & WhiteFluffy, but beware, Mighty and Athletic.
Require the time from the master to keep them busy!

Mighty Maltese YouTube Channel

Old 06-26-2012, 08:21 AM
cRaZy AbOuT DOGS

Some photos.

The only thing that I don't like are the straps hanging underneath. With my small dogs, it can get in the way. Snowy swam out of his jacket once. Actually, he's been swimming all his life without the jacket. He built those swimming muscles thoughout the year, so he wasn't nervous at all about losing the jacket. He actually speeded afterwards, but I still didn't expect him to swim out of it lol. I mean, you would want the jacket to stay on. Less straps for my malts are better. So I ordered the newest ruffwear life jackets. Link to them: http://www.ruffwear.com/-9-float-coat?sc=2&category=694 You can see that the straps are nicely hidden inside, not hanging. I didn't try it on the malts yet, but I can't wait once I return to them. I'll let you know.

I also ordered the Fido float for Snowy (after the swimming out of the Rufwear jacket and the hanging straps) and the outward hound life jacket for Crystal. I didn't receive these, so I will let know once I get them and then try them on the malts in water too.

Can you tell that I missed my dogs so much I went crazy shopping for them despite the fact that they always swim in the pool without any life jacket (only in oceans and big lakes), but then again, I didn't buy them anything for ages.

A couple of Dock Divers live here.
Small & WhiteFluffy, but beware, Mighty and Athletic.
Require the time from the master to keep them busy!

Mighty Maltese YouTube Channel

Old 06-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Behavior Nerd

We've tried the Outward Hound and Hurtta vests. I far prefer the Hurtta vest - it's much more flexible, has more reflectives, and the clips and handle are much heavier duty. The sizing does seem to run a bit small in the Hurtta brand, so do keep that in mind.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Brittany, I hope you don't mind if I piggyback on this thread and ask, is there a brand that runs long in the back? I'd really to get Keeva a lifejacket. She loves water and can definitely swim, but I think a lifejacket would really give her some confidence. But I feel like I'm gonna need to put a waterwing around her butt.... Any suggestions?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Top Dog

I just got one from Petco, it's the Petco brand. I actually really, really like it. Very secure, doesn't slip around anywhere. Zuma is a funky size so I was impressed that it fit her so well!

Zumabeach by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Out if curiousity what price ranges do the hurtta vests tend to run? I'm going to probably need to get Cricket one for beginning dock diving practice and would prefer something not too bulky and not expensive.

Can't get one right now since I can't afford one, but hoping I'll be able to before the practice run coming up.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle