Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Default What would you do?

I ordered something last month through an individual making custom products, May 2nd is when I paid through Paypal. Since then I haven't heard anything from the person. Some generic Facebook updates have been posted and it's just things like "Delayed, things will go out soon! Oh I've had delays, things will go out soon! Delays, whoopsie, things will go out soon!" Apparently the individual has now been swamped with orders and it seems hardly anybody has received their orders. They're running a sale and instead of getting orders out to people who already ordered, they kept extending the sale and extending the sale and apparently getting more and more behind and more and more swamped with orders.

The repeated extending the sale when an apparent flood of orders has been coming in makes me really uncomfortable and makes me think the individual in question is probably financially underwater... which makes me wonder if they even have the supplies or money to make and send out my item. I worked for a company years ago who was constantly taking money from future jobs to pay off old jobs and you CANNOT run a business that way, you will never get caught up and eventually you go under... which is how I ended up with bounced paychecks and out of a job, and a bunch of people never got their finished products from that company either. So alarm bells are going off in my head.

Plus no contact at all... I don't consider a generic post on a Facebook page to be "contact with customers," especially since I had to provide an e-mail address when I ordered (including paying through Paypal so there's an e-mail address there too.) I've seen Facebook posts from other customers asking for updates, saying they've e-mailed and Facebook messaged and can't get any response.

I feel some sympathy for this individual since they ARE an individual and things do happen, but at the same time, so am I... I'm one person who has done art for other people on commission for many years, and I find this to be unacceptable business practice. I would never do this to my customers. If I were getting swamped with orders, I would STOP TAKING orders... not keep extending a sale and raking in more and more and getting further and further behind... so the whole thing just makes me really uncomfortable.

My 45 days to file a Paypal dispute is approaching quickly - Sunday would be 45 days. I still WANT the product I ordered, and as far as I know there's not another company who can make exactly what I was hoping for, but I'm seriously worried I'm not going to get it at this point. This person has been doing business for a little while but it's of course not unheard of for a company or person who has been great in the past to suddenly vanish off the face of the earth and a bunch of people are without money.

What would you do? Should I file a Paypal dispute? Or should I just cross my fingers and hope I eventually get what I ordered?

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Chihuahua Power!

If it's the same company I'm thinking of, I would just file the dispute with paypal. They keep extending the sale but are so back ordered. If they can't fulfill orders placed over a month ago, they need to end the sale and work harder to get everything out.

The product they are making isn't a difficult nor time consuming one, since the main object is already made for them. To me, it's unacceptable to wait that long for that product.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 06-14-2012, 09:53 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Yes... file the paypal dispute. The seller will get the option to get the item out to you within a deadline or paypal will force the refund. that may light a fire under their butt.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 06-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Glutton for Crazy

No idea what company it is but Id file.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Stinky Butt

I'd file the dispute while you still have the option to. It sounds like you may never get your order and you may not get your money back if you don't file it. If your gut is telling you there is something wrong, then there probably is, even though you still really want to item, which you may never receive.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Behavior Nerd

I'd file the dispute, too, especially since it sounds like it won't automatically mean no product if they *can* fulfill the order but just haven't yet.

If it's the company I'm thinking of, another friend of mine has had a similar issue and got some response by making a stink on fb, but I don't know if she's actually gotten the item yet - she had already gotten a shipping notice so knows that it was at least finished.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Well, I filed the dispute... I feel kinda bad about it, I don't know why, but I guess as one small business owner to another I feel like I should be nicer and more supportive... I dunno. Urgh. =/

It probably is the same company you're thinking of, Erin. =P

The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Resident fainting goat

I would file a dispute. Small businesses get a bad rap for this kind of crap. If there an issue, tell me BEFORE I place an order for my item or better yet, email me personally telling me when the ETA is/giving me the option to cancel my order.

I hate hate hate HATE when I make the effort to order from a small business.. only to run into this kind of crap and end up wishing I just ordered from amazon lol
Old 06-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Behavior Nerd

Just an fyi - my friend I mentioned above STILL hasn't gotten her stuff. Apparently they were "lost" and remade and shipped on Monday, so we'll see. She said she got no response until she got nasty on fb.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Does your friend have a doberman by any chance? If so, I actually almost messaged her this morning to ask her if she had gotten anywhere... but felt kind of like a creeper messaging a total stranger and decided to post here instead LOL.

The Sheltiechick Blog