Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

**duplicate post**

Bogart, that wasn't directed at you. Just a general statement.

I'll be open and admit it's hard. It's hard to repeat yourself over and over again, only to look into a face that just isn't "getting it". My life is pretty much a broken record in regard to saying certain phrases. However, what works wonderfully is to rephrase your statement. I.e. Replace "I said stop jumping on the bed!" with "The bed is not for jumping on."....or "You need to pick up your toys now." with "The toys are for picking up now.". Give your sentence a subject to change it from an order, which especially appeals to kiss with a defiant streak.

Last edited by Miakoda; 06-13-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Respectfully to Saeofu...How many kids do you have? Do you even have kids? What do you base your statements on? Good Lord...and that's all I have to say about that...
Yeah, that sounds respectful. How autistic are you? Are you even autistic? What do you base your statements on?

https://sites.google.com/site/notautismspeaks/home

Quote:
She is autistic herself, and so is quite passionate about the issue.
Thank you Cali, I really do appreciate it. Passionate is a bit of an understatement
Old 06-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Top Dog

Sorry about everything you are going through

There are some great programs in some schools so look into it when you look for homes in the next couple of years.

If they start working with kids early it really helps.

I admit to knowing next to nothing about kids. I know with adults sometimes they teach how to respond to emotions,basically to fake things. Which sounds odd but its basically making people more comfortable in conversations because thats what can be so awkward. many older people never had a diagnosis as a child like they get now and they slipped through the cracks with other labels.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 06-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Definitely do what Sael said. I was dx'd late in life, so I don't have the opportunities that a young child has avaliable to them unfortunately. I am lucky enough that right now my job affords me the opportunity to have my SDiT with me most of the day, and he helps me out tremendously. I think that with OT I'd have a few less issues in regards to social interaction and what I have available in terms of job growth /opportunities.

Everyone is different though, and this may be something that will give him many paths in life to walk down. There are amazing stories of autistic people getting involved in their special interests in a big way and being able to capitalize on using his different brain effectively.

Sorry if I'm rambling, but if you've got any questions for me, please ask.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

And as far as what Joce just said, I have to do the same thing. Luckily my boss at my old job was extremly understanding and told me to "fake it til I make it" in terms of social interaction emotion. It doesn't really change the fact that for the most part I get confused about why things are the way they are in terms of other peoples emotion, but it does keep me from making terrible social blunders. And most of my coworkers know I'm a little bit weird anyway
Old 06-13-2012, 07:03 PM
We are Home.

Ive actually gotten alot of information from there from the parent point of view which was really helpful since my (ex)husband refuses to accept his issues. We have been doing alot of research but alot of it is coming from friends in the field that I can text videos of and what not and say what would you do LOL. My biggest concern is how do you do it as a single mother with 2 other children and hopefully the 3rd isnt autistic either. It doesnt help that I am just NOW getting used to being a single mom to more then one and have a newborn thrown into the mix soon. It was hard enough before his "dx" now I worry even more how he is going to handle it. Especially being seperated from me. I know I can do it, its just hard to imagine I can right now especially after a 2 hour meltdown today. Im also trying to figure out whats the best overall before I start job hunting again after the baby and everything.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 06-13-2012, 08:19 PM
swimming upstream

When you get started in therapy--I am sure they will have lots of suggestions that will be directly related to Morgan and how he presents.
As to behavior management--one thing I always remind parents of--he is a child first. Children act out--diagnosis or no diagnosis. Knowing how to manage each situation --is it the disability or is it a little boy, or both? Tricky--but you are tuned into your child, you will figure it out. You know how to find me--I live it as a parent (not single parent--but I can relate)--as well as my work experience. Lots to take in--but you will get to a place where you do things as second nature.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 PM
We are Home.

I think alot thats helped me on the behavior front is that he is not my first and I have been around ALOT of toddlers so telling whats normal for a toddler and what isnt is easy for me. I cant wait to get a therapist to watch him IRL and not video. Just FYI too for your work a soft sided structure carrier or a woven wrap has been a GODSEND for us with Morgan because it keeps constant pressure on him against me. His holds up to 45 lbs. His tantrums/meltdowns just keep getting worse and worse Im hoping when we get our new carrier tomorrow that it will cut it back again. If not i dont know what to do until we see a therapist honestly. The blanket still helps but not as much. Is it possible hes getting worse as he gets closer to 2?

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 06-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Im sorry Breeze, all I can offer is a hug and someone to talk to <3

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 06-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Top Dog

Breeze, as soon as he's in therapy, discuss with them about getting him a weighted vest. Cole wasn't a fan, but I cannot even begin to count the number of children I've worked with who LOVED and needed the security and comfort the vest provided.