Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-14-2012, 02:55 AM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
This. We are slammed.
Eww. Thinking of this makes me SO friggin glad I don't work at the hotel anymore!!! We would have 300 dogs boarding almost constantly, booked to the max. And then on random weekends we'd get 50 walk-in daycare dogs! And they had to stay in daycare all day long, because our kennels were completely full. And the dogs who were boarding who had daycare had to do it 6 am-9 am, then 5 pm-9 pm because our daycare play rooms were packed. Ahhh makes me not miss working there at all...

Where I live, it gets pretty hot during the summer. Like 100*. So a lot of people would bring their dogs in for the day because it was too hot outside to take them to the dog park or anything, and the daycare was fully inside. But, yeah, the majority were crazy hyper dogs or wild puppies that really need hours of exercise a day, not so much the seasoned regulars who came in while their owners worked. I think it's because the kids are home during summer, there aren't rainy days, and more people are going on vacay and boarding rather than daycare.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 06-14-2012, 07:24 AM
Top Dog

The daycare I worked at very often had only one person there at a time with up to 30ish dogs on a busy day. No separation of dogs by size or anything, small building and huge fenced play yard (6' fence with n anti-digging set up) with a smaller cement area fenced off and 7 outside kennel runs on cement. If a dog was bad, they went into the kennel run. If it was a muddy mess, they were only allowed in the building and cement area. During the summer we were outside for the majority of the day. With the set up being what it was, dogs were left alone for short bursts of time because there was only one person. So for example if they were outside when someone came to pick up, the dog being picked up was let in and the rest stayed out. If they were in and a customer came in, I generally tried to get them all out while I took care of the person inside. Interestingly, I don't think anything ever happened when the dogs were left alone. Any major incidents happened when the dogs were being supervised and often when there happened to be more than one person there. When you went into the building from the yard, most of the dogs would just stand at the gate waiting for you to come back, so their minds were elsewhere.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:55 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

We're a boarding kennel (in a veterinary office), but we are PACKED during the summer. This last weekend we were swamped - I'd say almost as booked as we typically get over the holidays. This weekend is going to be about the same. Boo...I like it when we're busy, not over the top stressful busy.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Top Dog

To give you some idea, we had 74 dogs today. But we also board and are open 7 days a week. And we are located close to a major hospital and a huge tourist attraction, so we get a lot of visitors to the area.

Right now we're slam packed, between vacations and people getting that summer puppy.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Drop in daycare?

I have never heard of such a thing. Do most places do that, or just the big box stores?

We sometimes had people call super early in the morning asking if they could bring their dog (regulars), but never just show up!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Glutton for Crazy

We don't require reservations actually, but we're small and have the capability of separating everyone if need be.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Look ma! Three labs, black, chocolate, and yellow... Right?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

We still take walk-ins at my work. It's working fine the moment but we realize that may not always be the case.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:46 PM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Drop in daycare?

I have never heard of such a thing. Do most places do that, or just the big box stores?

We sometimes had people call super early in the morning asking if they could bring their dog (regulars), but never just show up!
Petsmart Pet Hotel is stupid AF... they are not allowed to ever. EVER. Turn away walk-in daycare dogs. Even if we had more dogs in daycare than our playrooms can hold, even if 3 people called in sick that morning and no one else would come in and there were 300 dogs to care for, we'd just have to make it work. Sometimes there would be 30 dogs in every 17 maximum room! People would stroll in the day before Christmas Eve with their dog who had never even been there before, and expect us to tell all of our boarders paying hundreds of dollars to wait while we whisk away this unannounced, unknown dog to daycare... like "Wait, a pet hotel is busy during the holidays? Odd..." And we had to take them.

The douchebag garden gnome store manager would come in and watch us, to make sure we weren't turning away daycare dogs, even with a line of 15 people checking their dogs in for long-term boarding with giant tubs of food, toys and beds to catalogue. And he would bring his own psychotic midget Brittany in to harass other dogs and scream all day without forewarning when he KNEW we were beyond capacity!

Some daycares are amazing, I love the ones with small groups of dogs who actually all get along! I'd be in a tiny room with 20 dogs... giant goofy Dane puppies, crazy barking Labs, angry Border Collies, and aggressive Boxers and have to keep them all from killing each other, getting filthy, and playing too wildly. Just hellish. And dogs who bit other dogs were given second chances time & time again, which is so unfair to the dogs they bit and their owners. I don't miss the Pet Hotel. A big-box corporation that is based on selling pet products has no business trying to fit into the specialized business that is boarding and daycare. They value profits over everything, and the care of the dogs takes a total backseat to making money with as little cost to the company and as little pay to the employees as possible. I was a supervisor, and at one point there was an amazing team there, we were all friends and made sure all of the dogs were happy and got excellent care. But so many people, including me, couldn't stand being treated like we were disposable by the company and our hard work was never acknowledged... only our mistakes, any mistake we made! Usually my mistakes were caring too much, spending too much time on one dog who needed it, working too late to make sure all the dogs were healthy, etc. We would make sure all of the boarding dogs had clean rooms and beds at all times, walk them to the playrooms to exercise & potty at least 4 times a day whether they paid for extra play or not, and make sure that if dogs weren't eating we called the owners and added canned food or something to get them to eat. I heard from EVERY other hotel around the country that dogs whose owners don't pay for extra play times only get out twice a day! And their potty break is 5 minutes, in a 10 x 4 "relief room" with a toilet in it that's in between the play rooms. So sad. I actually got in trouble for working extra hard to make sure all of the boarding dogs got plenty of potty breaks and play time.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 06-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
Petsmart Pet Hotel is stupid AF... they are not allowed to ever. EVER. Turn away walk-in daycare dogs. Even if we had more dogs in daycare than our playrooms can hold, even if 3 people called in sick that morning and no one else would come in and there were 300 dogs to care for, we'd just have to make it work. Sometimes there would be 30 dogs in every 17 maximum room! People would stroll in the day before Christmas Eve with their dog who had never even been there before, and expect us to tell all of our boarders paying hundreds of dollars to wait while we whisk away this unannounced, unknown dog to daycare... like "Wait, a pet hotel is busy during the holidays? Odd..." And we had to take them.

The douchebag garden gnome store manager would come in and watch us, to make sure we weren't turning away daycare dogs, even with a line of 15 people checking their dogs in for long-term boarding with giant tubs of food, toys and beds to catalogue. And he would bring his own psychotic midget Brittany in to harass other dogs and scream all day without forewarning when he KNEW we were beyond capacity!

Some daycares are amazing, I love the ones with small groups of dogs who actually all get along! I'd be in a tiny room with 20 dogs... giant goofy Dane puppies, crazy barking Labs, angry Border Collies, and aggressive Boxers and have to keep them all from killing each other, getting filthy, and playing too wildly. Just hellish. And dogs who bit other dogs were given second chances time & time again, which is so unfair to the dogs they bit and their owners. I don't miss the Pet Hotel. A big-box corporation that is based on selling pet products has no business trying to fit into the specialized business that is boarding and daycare. They value profits over everything, and the care of the dogs takes a total backseat to making money with as little cost to the company and as little pay to the employees as possible. I was a supervisor, and at one point there was an amazing team there, we were all friends and made sure all of the dogs were happy and got excellent care. But so many people, including me, couldn't stand being treated like we were disposable by the company and our hard work was never acknowledged... only our mistakes, any mistake we made! Usually my mistakes were caring too much, spending too much time on one dog who needed it, working too late to make sure all the dogs were healthy, etc.
Yikes, that's why I'm so glad I work for a small company. A small company with a huge yard. LOL