Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Big Dog

Default Found a dog

Was letting henderson out this morning and this dog wandered around the front yard. Him and henderson tried to play through the fence so he looked pretty nice. I went outside the fence and he ran up and let me pet him. He was so nice and sweet i couldnt just let him keep wandering, so i put henderson in the house and let him in the back yard.

I took him to my vet to see if he had a microchip(didnt even have a collar so i wasnt holding my breath) and had them do an exam on him to check for worms and heartworm (which came back negative). The lady at the front desk said her son would probably take the dog if the owners dont claim him, but i want to give them a day or two to claim him.

I really dont want to take him to the human society because the last stray that wandered to my house i took him there and just didnt get a good feeling about it. They dont answer the phones and walk talk to you about the dog after you bring them in.

I put a sign on my fence with my number saying I found a dog. I put an add on craigs list also. What else should i do? is keeping him till friday enough time then giving him to the lady at the vet?

Also, can he play with my dog if they get along? doesnt seem to have fleas or anything. He DID have hookworms and whipworms so they gave him medicine for that. If i keep the feces picked up should my dog be safe to play with him?

some pictures:

At the Vet
Old 06-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Kaydee

I think PetFinder has a lost and found section too. I would so keep that dog, gorgeous!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Cute dog.

If you can, hang onto him for more than a few days. Somebody really might be looking for him. Other than Craigslist, put posters up at local vets' offices and notify Animal Control that you have him.

No matter how friendly he seems, please remember that you don't know anything about him. Worms regardless, keep him separated from your dog for the time being. He was lost, he's in a strange place, he's disoriented... aggression could rear its head no matter how sweet he's acting right now. And depending on the wormer you gave him, it will likely take a least a few days to kill off everything. Picking up the poop isn't enough; if your dog walks through where his poop WAS and then licks a paw... worms.

Good luck with him, I hope somebody is looking for him.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:52 AM
Top Dog

I personally know people who lost their dog and of them were found on craigslist

Old 06-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Top Dog

When I found a lost dog, it was the fliers I posted around the neighborhood that got her home.

I also walked her around the city and asked people, but that didn't pan out.

See if you can post fliers in like, the major stores?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Cute dog.

If you can, hang onto him for more than a few days. Somebody really might be looking for him. Other than Craigslist, put posters up at local vets' offices and notify Animal Control that you have him.

No matter how friendly he seems, please remember that you don't know anything about him. Worms regardless, keep him separated from your dog for the time being. He was lost, he's in a strange place, he's disoriented... aggression could rear its head no matter how sweet he's acting right now. And depending on the wormer you gave him, it will likely take a least a few days to kill off everything. Picking up the poop isn't enough; if your dog walks through where his poop WAS and then licks a paw... worms.

Good luck with him, I hope somebody is looking for him.
Thanks for the response. I will keep them seperated. No reason to risk either dog.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayada1 View Post
Thanks for the response. I will keep them seperated. No reason to rish either dog.
Good deal. If you have him long enough to let him settle in (more than a few days) then you could try an introduction.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Felurian

I have located several lost dog owners by contacting vet offices.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Kaydee

Yes, write a list so you don't forget anybody-vets, animal control and police departments for all counties around you ( in most areas animal control and police are independent departments even though they work together, call them both).
Old 06-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydee View Post
Yes, write a list so you don't forget anybody-vets, animal control and police departments for all counties around you ( in most areas animal control and police are independent departments even though they work together, call them both).
IF there is a doggie park near you, go talk to the people there, or better yet, take the dog with you.