Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Top Dog

Default To Chazzers:

I've been MIA quite a bit lately. So, I'm sorry if I haven't replied to so many threads. I know from reading some of the threads...fast...that some of you are having a hard time. Just know that I'm thinking of you with sympathy and concern. And for those who have had success and good times happening, cheers to you!

It's this landscaping project. I mentioned it quite some time ago and have been working on it ever since. Well...I've not been doing the hard part. Well...yes I have. I've been writing the checks. My son and his friends...usually just one other friend at a time have been plugging away at it for over a month.

There are retaining walls, big piles of clay and rocks (the soil is TERRIBLE) that need to be hauled off, a Kuboda tractor sitting in the front, top soil, mulch, sand in preparation for a flag stone patio, and now a picket fence is getting built. (a last minute decision)....which of course, changed the shape of the retaining wall. I have the worst time planning ahead. These things occur to me as we go along and that wastes time and money....to have to change things. Uggggg! When will I ever learn

I'll be so glad when it's under control and the sand and dirt can stop being tracked into the house. It's amazing. Even though we take shoes off, it still winds up getting inside. I guess the dogs track it in.

So, this time of year, I'm busy outside a lot, designing the gardens and planting things. And that's why I haven't been posting as much.

I hope everyone is doing okay.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Felurian

Seems to be a lot of that going around

You know we'll require pics, right?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Top Dog

I know I'm a chronic lurker and I go from posting a lot to disappearing for a while. I was actually wondering where you were lately XD I hadn't seen your posts in a while.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Top Dog

Thanks Renee...yes, I'll post pictures when it's all finished, if I'm still alive. This is taking a lot longer than I originally thought, as it is evolving into a more complex project.

Yoko, thanks. Now tell me, what does XD stand for? I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who disappears for spells. I think you're right Renee...this time of year especially brings people outside for various activities so they have less time online I guess. Today I did some fertilizing and a few little chores, walked Jose`, and that's all. I'm leaving the fence building up to my son. It's drizzling out after such nice weather the past few days... and I'm just hanging out.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Top Dog

It's a squinty smiley face! You just have to kinda... look sideways and think asian...

Old 06-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Top Dog

Sounds like you're keeping (too?) busy! I want pictures too and check in with us once in awhile.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 06-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Top Dog

I'd like to see pictures of the work in progress. I love seeing others landscaping idea's.
I especially love seeing different kinds of retaining walls.
It is so expensive to do stuff like that, we do it all ourselves and just the materials alone are costly. We just had a couple of tree's removed and were going to put in a round stone patio so we could have a propane fire pit on it. After looking at the cost for the stones alone, we decided to put it off for a year. The kids were disappointed but we told them they could buy the stone if they really couldn't wait. They haven't mentioned it since.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Top Dog

Thanks guys. LOL Yoko. I tried that...don't see it.

There are so many problems which are delaying things. Now, it turns out we don't have the right kind of saw to cut the pickets just so....It seems like every time you turn the corner, there's another conundrum that pops up. It's just taking so long.

And Linda, you're right. It's mighty expensive. I've gone so far over my original budget. I bet it will cost me three times what I planned originally. I keep adding more things. First, it was only going to be a retaining wall for one, maybe two garden areas. Then it became the whole back yard. In the front, I was only going to spruce up the existing garden, but that changed to making a garden all around the whole thing. Then my son said, I need a retaining wall to make it "bling." Okay, let's go for it. Then my brainy idea to put a fence in the front because otherwise when I'm out there gardening, the dogs have to stay inside and they sob and sob. So, I thought...okay, a fence so they can come out with me in the front yard too.

Taq, There are days where I'm busy and others where it's not so much. So, for a few hours now, I have to wait for the use of a truck so we can go get some other materials and a proper saw.

It's funny Linda, how your kids stopped dead in their tracks when you told them they could buy the stones. LOL. Yeah, the retaining wall bricks were bad enough but I dread when I have to buy the flagstones. They're twice as much...but oh so pretty.

Well, I'll get some photos up one of these days.

Thomas Jefferson