Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Top Dog

I don't really have much to add to this thread, but when I briefly looked into Kelpies I was pointed in the direction of the breeder you linked to (Broken Stirrup). The person that recommended them has a female Kelpie from there that she just adores. I think her Kelpie is just over a year old now. She had Dobermans forever but now has her Kelpie girl (and a Dobe) as she wanted a healthier dog that was not overly prone to SSA that would also excel in Agility. Everything she told me about her dog made her sound like an awesome, all around versatile dog willing to try anything. She also highly recommended looking into a breeder called Windrush.

If you do get a Kelpie I look forward to hearing more about him/her! They're still a breed I really like. :-)

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 06-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
I don't really have much to add to this thread, but when I briefly looked into Kelpies I was pointed in the direction of the breeder you linked to (Broken Stirrup). The person that recommended them has a female Kelpie from there that she just adores. I think her Kelpie is just over a year old now. She had Dobermans forever but now has her Kelpie girl (and a Dobe) as she wanted a healthier dog that was not overly prone to SSA that would also excel in Agility. Everything she told me about her dog made her sound like an awesome, all around versatile dog willing to try anything. She also highly recommended looking into a breeder called Windrush.

If you do get a Kelpie I look forward to hearing more about him/her! They're still a breed I really like. :-)
I know who you are talking about! I was googling for Broken Stirrup Kelpie and her post on the Dobe forum showed up - I saw all the cute pictures of her little girl and I sent her a message via Flickr asking about her now as a one year old What you are telling me is exaclty what I was hoping to hear! I am so excited I was looking for the exact same thing as she was. I will check out Windrush but I think I'm going to jump on this little guy that's left in the Broken Stirrup litter. The breeder thinks it is a good fit and I've dealt with very high level dogs before (KNPV Dutch Shepherd) and adored them. Cannot wait!! Now for a name....

ETA: I contacted Windrush too, I don't think they have anything right now. Those two and one other breeder I contacted sounded like it might be a good fit and that was all the looking I did. I thought about importing but it sounds like this guy should be perfect for me.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Top Dog

How exciting! Everything I was told about Jill made her sound fantastic. The only thing she seemed to have issues with was that she's so intelligent that she said when she was rewarding her for unpleasant things (dremeling), suddenly Jill started associating treats with negativity rather than associating the fact that treats meant getting your nails done was good like most dogs would. Instead she associated treats with a thing she didn't like and therefore treats were bad too. She said she is less forgiving than her other dogs in that way as she remembers sequences of events. She told me she was also sound sensitive but not in a negative, fearful way. But she likes to investigate and check things out to make sure all is well.

All in all it sounded like she was/is really, really enjoying her. She's apparently a very people pleasing, willing to learn and very trainable dog when it comes to most things. She was only 7 months old when I first asked about her so you might get different answers now as she's maturing, but everything she said about her as a puppy sounded wonderful to me.

Ripley
Old 06-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

If you get one I want pictures EVERY day!!

I find them to be such gorgeous dogs, but thankfully I realize that I will probably never be the right home for one. So therefore I need to live through someone else's pictures!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Glutton for Crazy

They really do have the *best* eyes
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Just try me..

There is one handler here (name escapes me atm) who has done VERY well with kelpies in agility. As in beat out the likes of Susan Garrett and one nationals well . So they can excel in dog sports. I believe she has even gone to worlds with them.

I don't know much but I too an admirer.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
There is one handler here (name escapes me atm) who has done VERY well with kelpies in agility. As in beat out the likes of Susan Garrett and one nationals well . So they can excel in dog sports. I believe she has even gone to worlds with them.

I don't know much but I too an admirer.
Here as in Ontario? Or just in Canada.

One of the ones I spoke about is named Lynda Caughlin who won nationals last year with her Kelpie Coolhand Luc, she went to the WAO this year too. She lives a few hours north of me, cool lady with a cool dog.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 06-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
Here as in Ontario? Or just in Canada.

One of the ones I spoke about is named Lynda Caughlin who won nationals last year with her Kelpie Coolhand Luc, she went to the WAO this year too. She lives a few hours north of me, cool lady with a cool dog.
No Ontarian, but remembered her name

http://www.infinitidogsports.com/Site/My_Dogs.html so the OP can see the kennel name of her dogs.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Top Dog

^ I've watched her and her dogs run Agility a few times. They seemed very intense but very focused and FAST (but accurate)! I loved watching them. Kelpies are so intriguing.

Ripley
Old 06-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
No Ontarian, but remembered her name

http://www.infinitidogsports.com/Site/My_Dogs.html so the OP can see the kennel name of her dogs.
Thanks! Will definitely keep an eye on them too!