Auto or Manual?

RottenFlower

rotties are my kryptonite
More north of south, but more south of north.
I'm not a photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but I do love capturing a visually appealing image!

I'd say about 95% of the time, I'm in full manual mode. Probably the only time I shoot anything else is for photo challenges and the like.

What about you?

Toller_08

Most of the time I shoot manual (like 95% of the time). Sometimes aperture or shutter priority, too. But sometimes I have to use an auto setting (sports) just because my camera does not focus properly using manual settings, no matter how I tweak things. It really bugs me. I always feel like I'm a terrible cheater if I use auto settings, even though I am not the only one.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Probably 60% manual/40% auto - but I also just started playing with my manual settings a month or so ago. LOL

I typically leave it on Auto Focus because when my auto focus died on my kit lens I learned how HARD it is to get dog action shots on Manual.

But for setting wise I leave it on Manual. Last year in July I made myself a promise that I would use only manual and no preset settings for a year to learn my camera. And I've almost fulfilled that.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I thought you were talking about cars. :p I was going to say manual all the way, but, well, that still holds true. :p

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
... oh there is a manual mode?
is that what that button is for?

lol I love my camera, don't get me wrong but manual mode confuses me. I just like to click and have the camera take a nice picture haha

I used to shoot full auto when I had an Olympus because I swear that old thing could read my mind.

Now that I have a Canon (yay!) I shoot exclusively manual or it will over expose EVERYTHING.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
I do Manual 95% of the time unless I'm shooting something that I don't really care about like taking pictures of something to be put up on craigslist for sale I'll shoot it auto to save time since i don't entirely care what the finished photo looks like in that case.

96 GTS

Custom User Title
I too thought this was going to be about cars, lol. Anyway, I use either shutter priority or aperture priority mode 90% of the time. If I'm shooting something that's moving, the camera can adjust exposure much faster than I can. I really don't ever use full manual mode unless I'm doing macro work off a tripod. The priority modes allow you to compensate exposure up and down in 1/3 stop increments anyway, so you can still set the exposure you want, but have the camera adjust quickly to changing light.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Auto.

I traded in my nikon d40 in the name of "This camera is too **** complicated" and got a more simple sony DSLR which I am in love with. All the pretty of my D40 without all the complicated machinery and buttons and everything making me feel like I am such a poser for having the darn thing lol

manual on the dial, and manual focus... i think it takes away from the art of taking pictures of you use auto, and barring having an artificial intelligence run your camera settings... pictures taken in auto will never be the best they could be

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
Before my Nikon decided it only wanted to work in auto/no flash mode, I shot full manual about 70% of the time, priority 20% and auto 10%.

Members online

No members online now.