Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-04-2006, 01:11 AM
Active Pup

Hi All

I have a 2 year old GSD (bruno), but he hardly barks on the strangers. Last week I had observed that some strangers entered my backyard. Bruno was just sitting and had neither taken pain to look towards them, barking on them was much far away Basically I require him to atleast bark when there is any stranger at my backyard.

He is very playful. He likes to play a lot. He is very friendly with the strangers. I would like him to be friendly with the strangers, but not so much that a stranger might enter by backyard for some reason and bruno would not even look at him. Is there any way to train him on this? I had trained him to bark on command and he does that quite well, but he do not bark on the strangers.

Please suggest me some tips to make him bark on the strangers by himself.

-Nilesh
Old 01-04-2006, 05:51 AM

agree with all that's been said...he'll bark when there is a need. Addie never barks (except when she hears the UPS truck..they HATE that truck..lol), she would watch anyone walk right up to the door and not think a thing of it. when Hammie (the GSD) was around one, he suddenly decided it was great to sound (and look) like a killer dog when someone comes to the door. he should get an Oscar for the performance. also...be VERY happy that he doesn't bark at every single thing!! I had a little Cairn that did that...it was quite annoying.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:54 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Some dogs simply have more territorial drive than others.

My 17 months old bitch would NEVER allow anyone into my yard without a LOT of barking and fence running, and a clear indication that it would be uwise for anyone to enter, however, she has had my senior girls with her from 10 weeks of age, and they have shown her "the ropes".

If your dog does not have genetic tendencies to instinctively guard his turf by 2 years of age, I doubt you are going to see it develop.

If you require a dog to watch or guard your yard, you might consider getting a puppy from working lines.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:03 AM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Yea, good ole Charlie didn't bark at noises or people, until one night I was asleep, hubby was at work. We'll hubby came home and he put the key into the front door, Charlie jumped up growling and barking and run downstairs right to the door. He got there before hubby even got the door opened. Now that scared me!! But it is very reassuring.

The second time Charlie did that, he heard our steps creak, he did the same thing. Only this time it was my youngest son. He woke up and started going downstairs. Charlie saw who it was and just layed back down.
But it scared my son half to death. Now if he wakes up he comes and gets me first. lol I'm happy about that too.

I think Charlie was almost two then.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Are you dead yet?

VALUE your quiet dog. lol. My two make a terrible racket if anyone comes to the door. They don't understand the concept of "a few barks" anymore, now it's "let's bark ourselves hoarse until the visitor goes away". I suppose you could teach him to bark on cue (the cue being the doorbell or a knock on the door) if you want him to alert you to someone's presence, though.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:53 PM
no touchy

Your dog will most likely protect you when needed. My lab is generally a very quiet dog - she very rarely barks. But I'm pretty sure that if she needed to protect her family, she'd start barking. My terrier mix, Colby, goes nuts at any little sound. My border collie mix is a little bit quieter than Colby, but when she does bark it's LOUD!
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:00 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Many dogs will bark in a "situation", but please......

Don't EVER assume any dog, no matter what it's breed is, will protect you in a life threatening situation unless that dog has been trained and tested to do so.

Most dogs will NOT face up to a threatening adult human, or participate in a "fight" situation unless they have the genetics to do so, and have also been trained and proofed.

I PERSONALLY know a woman who was raped while her German Shepherd dog cowered in the next room.

She now has trained dogs.

Expect your watch dog to warn and bark. Many dogs MIGHT rise to the occasion with little or no training, but NEVER assume or expect any dog to do this that has not been specifically trained for it.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:57 PM
user not active

Lol, sometimes i wish i had your problems

Most of time im teaching my guy not to bark at things
Old 01-04-2006, 01:58 PM
user not active

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers
Many dogs will bark in a "situation", but please......

Don't EVER assume any dog, no matter what it's breed is, will protect you in a life threatening situation unless that dog has been trained and tested to do so.

Most dogs will NOT face up to a threatening adult human, or participate in a "fight" situation unless they have the genetics to do so, and have also been trained and proofed.

I PERSONALLY know a woman who was raped while her German Shepherd dog cowered in the next room.

She now has trained dogs.

Expect your watch dog to warn and bark. Many dogs MIGHT rise to the occasion with little or no training, but NEVER assume or expect any dog to do this that has not been specifically trained for it.

Agree, 90% of dogs will not protect the owner, no matter what most people say.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:56 PM
no touchy

You don't know my dogs, stop making assumptions. (That's the problem with this board - people always assume things about others and their dogs.) BELIEVE ME my dogs would attack.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.