Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Watch dog

How can i encourage Kodiak to bark when hears things outside? I would like for him to alert me when people pull up. He will look at the door, but makes no noise. I would appreciate any advice, as i live alone in a rural area.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Ninja Dog

I wouldn't worry about teaching Kodiak to bark at the door... he's already alert, by watching the door when people are at the front. Dogs know if there's a need for action.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Top Dog

How old is Kodiak? If he's still very young, that just hasn't developed yet probably. Is that Kodiak in your siggy?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Puppy Dog

He is 8mo old. Yes thats him
Old 12-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Imagination ROCKS.

Trust me. He'll know. Angus never uttered a single woof except for the time that there were teenagers in my backyard that we didn't know.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:16 PM
Top Dog

Some dogs have more of a protective instinct than others. My Lab hardly ever barked, just looked at the door and maybe one woof on account of the Chi's barking. And one other time when something really weird happened (someone trying to jimmy the door) late at night and kids were home alone, she ran down the stairs from my then 13 yr. old son's room and was gnashing teeth and vicious at the door. That was the only time....otherwise, she never barked. Same with my GSD. Same thing happened in another house. Weird. My Doberman, on the other hand started getting a serious, throaty low growl and menacing, vicious sounding bark at around 4-1/2 months.

Is Kodiak something like a Rott/Shepherd mix? Or Shepherd/Lab? I would guess that he will get more protective in a few months time....maybe not till he's 2 or 3. They really do vary. But that's my guess....that he will develop that protective instinct and begin barking on his own in time, as he grows up. It's important to socialize him a lot now and always so he learns what normal is...normal, friendly strangers, so that if something abnormal comes along, he'll recognize it as that and react appropriately.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:47 AM
Puppy Dog

He is a rott/shep maybe.......pound puppy. I had a lab that growled at every noise , which i liked it was very comforting. the only time Kodi ever barks is when he's chasing the horses...not good. Do you think if i teach him to speak then tell him to speak when he is looking at the door like he hears somethin that would encourage him?

Doberluv thanks for the reassurance i guess its just gonna take time. He is very friendly and LOVES everyone he is very socialized i take him everywhere with me.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:09 AM
Top Dog

I got Athena (Fawn in my Sig) to bark by running to the window or door and acting all excited when I heard something. It worked real well, she is a pretty good watch dog. Sal (black and white) on the other hand will not bark no matter what I do when people come over. He can bark when he plays so he is not mute, he just won't bark at people. Sal even had Athena as a teacher for being a watch dog...but he still won't bark. He would be a good watch dog for a deaf person though, he runs to the window and dances around when he hears something or someone...just won't bark.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Do you think if i teach him to speak then tell him to speak when he is looking at the door like he hears somethin that would encourage him?
I don't know.....maybe. You could try it. I don't think it will make him protective. I think that is just natural with most dogs and to different degrees. I'd just wait and see. I bet he'll develop some of that himself. But it wouldn't hurt to try to encourage him, I guess. I have the opposite problem. My dogs, my Doberman and two Chihuahuas are very protective and bark up a storm about the slightest noise. LOL. It's annoying.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Top Dog

My dogs bark for everything too... Postman, kids walking down the street... Ugh. Of course it's worse when they're in the yard. At least it's handy because I know when the UPS guy just dropped a package outside, but when it's in the middle of the night because some dog barked 3 houses away, it sucks :P When someone knocks on the door (or my husband comes home from work), they get insane...

I also think it's mostly instinctive. Maybe you could teach him to 'speak', then have someone make noise outside then ask her to bark? I don't know, just a thought.