Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Top Dog

Just basic obedience...sit, stay, down, all that jazz plus solving problem behaviors like potty training, jumping, nipping, digging, destructive behaviors....the basics. I already know the basics due to years of my own research and my own dogs....but I would feel more solid in my knowledge if I was given formal education on it.

I also want education in behavior science.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 06-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Honestly I would just study for the CPDT. I've never heard anything good about the ABC, and it doesn't have a lot of respect from actual dog trainers. People who are really out there, training and making a living doing just dog training. Getting a CPDT is far more valuable than going to ABC.

I'm taking the CPDT in the fall. I've taken their prep test and I passed everything, so I'm pretty confidant that I will do well on the actual test.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:27 PM
and Fozzie B!

Waste of money... I know several people who went to ABC, got horrible mentors who wouldn't even meet with them, and learned as much as you could learn buying a few basic dog training books.

I recommend taking animal behavior classes at your local community college and apprenticing with a behaviorist who shares your training ideals.

The only dog training school that I've heard is truly worth the expense and time is Karen Pryor Clicker Academy. And it's not run by nobodies in the dog training world who are just trying to make money selling basic knowledge, it's run by the INVENTOR of clickers, PIONEERS in dog training, people with their PhDs and who are certified animal behaviorists, who have been doing this for decades! It's all hands on, too, not just reading a bunch of print-outs. I was going to KPA this fall, but plans have changed due to getting pregnant. :/ I might still go, if not I'm definitely going next year.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 06-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Top Dog

Sadly, the only college in my area that provides any sort of animal science degree is a over priced university. I REALLY want formal education in basic obedience...but idk how to get it without paying an arm and a leg.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 06-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Top Dog

I need money, **** it. Lol.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I think your best bet is to find a good mentor and learn from them... and do seminars, take online classes. There are several people who do online courses. The kind of stuff you're looking for isn't something you can sit in a classroom and learn IMHO... it's stuff you need to be out there doing, working with people, working with dogs, and getting experience - not just "this is how you teach sit!"

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Top Dog

I got my CPDT while I was doing pet dog training classes, and honestly, I didn't see much benefit in it. I had "CPDT" on my business cards and told potential clients that I was CPDT certified, but I never met a single person who knew what that met or who had found me on the CPDT trainer directory. The only benefit to having it was that it helped me get my current job as a service dog trainer, because other trainers do know what CPDT is.

I chose not to renew my CPDT certification; it cost a couple hundred dollars if I remember right, was only good for three years, and required CEUs. I actually had the CEUs; my decision to not renew was basically the cost vs. benefit.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:40 AM
and Fozzie B!

Since you don't have a CC near you, I'd really go with getting as much experience with good behaviorists and trainers as you can. You can still read and familiarize yourself with operant conditioning & animal behavior, and getting hands on experience is just as important as being educated. I like working with as many trainers as possible (even those that I don't completely agree with) so that you don't just get one perspective, you get many... and form your classes & training style based on what you personally like and feel works the best. Trainers who really care about helping dogs & people are more than happy to take on apprentices and LOVE getting a volunteer to help them out... trainers who are focused on making a profit and don't really care about their impact on the dog world as a whole are much less likely to take on an apprentice, they just want to brainwash you to their exact way of training and hire you as an employee. The former type of trainer is almost ALWAYS exclusively using compulsive or dominant methods in my experience. I met with a local trainer to possibly apprentice for him, and he bluntly said "Look, I have my own way of training dogs, and I want some one who knows NOTHING about dogs that I can mold to my exact program. You have too much experience." He was an alpha obsessed jerk, so I'm glad he cut our meeting short! I would not have learned anything of substance from him.

I'm learning from a few great behaviorists, but I really want to go to KPA because it would be an amazing experience for me personally and I would be so juiced to work with my heroes. I feel it would help me figure out the kind of trainer that I want to be, and I love the idea of raising a dog in such an inspiring and motivating training environment.

You should definitely look into any upcoming seminars around you. Sometimes you'll have to travel a distance, but when they're held be really skilled trainers & amazing authors, it is so worth it! I went to a 4-day seminar last year held by Ian Dunbar, which outlined his own training classes, promotion and how to work with dog owners. It was AMAZING and only cost $300 for all 4 days. Totally affordable and a great place to start. Most seminars are only one day and are much cheaper, I love seminars that address specific types of aggression. My favorite seminar was one the debunked everything that Cesar Millan is about, I almost cried tears of joy!

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie

Last edited by ihartgonzo; 06-09-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:49 AM
Top Dog

How do you look up when are where there are seminars?

Old 06-09-2012, 05:04 AM
and Fozzie B!

http://www.dogseminarsdirectory.com/ is a good source to check out. You can also check the websites of the authors and trainers that you like, most do several seminars a year. My mentor e-mails all of the trainers she knows local seminars, so I get most of my info from her. This is a pretty active yahoo group that posts seminars: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/DogSeminars/

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie