Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Like a bat outa' hell

Default Breeds or group type of dogs

That you find do and don't compliment each other?

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff

Last edited by HayleyMarie; 06-07-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Top Dog

I think it's more dog personality than breed...we have a pretty eclectic group, but they all do fine together
Old 06-07-2012, 02:12 AM
...ice road...

Of course, it does depend on individual dogs, but I have found sighthounds and bull breeds to be a good combo (and I know others who have, as well). I have yet to meet a dog in a herding breed that even my mostly dog-friendly APBTs like, though. I think it's all the staring and slow movement... Between my own dogs, that is play. But a dog has to earn that, and herding breeds throw it right in which bulldogs take it as a challenge... in my experience.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:36 AM
I'm All Ears

Herding dogs can be rather picky, I find. Papillons too. Very overly physical breeds tend to annoy the crap out of my dogs.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:38 AM
and Fozzie B!

I agree with Teal, that bully breeds and herding breeds don't mix well! My BC hates bully style playing and mannerisms. He'll just snark the living hell out of them.

I find that a lot of people have herding dogs and toy dogs and they do great together. Herding dogs lack true prey drive (or, the part of prey drive that leads to maiming and killing) so they tend to be very gentle with small dogs, and most herding breeds are sensitive and enjoy playing with smaller dogs more than big, physical dogs. Herding dogs usually get along with terriers too, as they'll back down to a tenacious terrier and aren't much for fighting, but they love the spunk of terriers.

Sporting breeds and hounds usually get along smashingly! Sporting breeds also do well with bully breeds, as they both love to play physically with body slams and rough wrestling.

Breeds that I've seen do well in pairs: Corgi/GSD, Corgi/Border Collie, JRT/Beagle, Husky/Border Collie, Collie/Greyhound, Bulldog/Chihuahua, Westie/Corgi, Bloodhound/Lab, Pit Bull/GSP, Pit Bull/Rottie.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 AM
Top Dog

A very general statement, but I'd be leary of having sight hounds and Siberian Huskies with Toys.

I know a few people, either personaly or through forums, who have Labs and Cavaliers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post
...I have yet to meet a dog in a herding breed that even my mostly dog-friendly APBTs like, though. I think it's all the staring and slow movement...
I think you're on to something there.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
I agree with Teal, that bully breeds and herding breeds don't mix well! My BC hates bully style playing and mannerisms. He'll just snark the living hell out of them.

I find that a lot of people have herding dogs and toy dogs and they do great together. Herding dogs lack true prey drive (or, the part of prey drive that leads to maiming and killing) so they tend to be very gentle with small dogs, and most herding breeds are sensitive and enjoy playing with smaller dogs more than big, physical dogs. Herding dogs usually get along with terriers too, as they'll back down to a tenacious terrier and aren't much for fighting, but they love the spunk of terriers.
This gives me hope that one day I will live with a herding breed and a terrier. Haha! Never know. I am still unsure if I "fit" with most herders.

But I will say Jackson just loved this Aussie at the dog park. We've ran into them three times now and every time he's just LOVED that dog, they chased each other for an hour. It was cute and made me think I would like a herder with Jackson.

Jackson does not like most "bully" type breeds - he's not big on Boston Terriers (even though he's a terrier, too), French Bulldogs, most Pitties, any breed that plays really rough and does a lot of body slams and stuff and gets in his space ignoring his warnings, he tends to get annoyed with fast. Most small terriers I know don't wanna put up with that.

His play style is a lot of running and chasing (he usually likes to be the one being chased), and he does wrestle fairly rough but it's, for the most part, not THAT physical (it just looks physical, it's really a lot of standing on hind legs like a bear, LOL).

I can't really say what breed group he would mesh with the best. He lives part-time with my dads dogs (dachshund mix and JRT mix) and he does fine with them, but I wouldn't say they really "enjoy" each other either. Honestly he got along with my moms cockapoo the best, now deceased. And I guess he does tend to flock towards other small white fluffy dogs, LOL...

In general, most people I see keep dogs of either the same breed, or very similar.

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Glutton for Crazy

It's also the quick, swishy movements and overt confidence of a lot of herding dogs ime that my bull breeds dislike. The bullies play with hard wrestling manuvers, my herders play with soft mouth wrestling or running around chasing (which has ended up with an ass bite a few times, oops).

Never owned them myself but I hear sighthounds do well with most breeds actually.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Auggie has killed more small animals than I would like to admit, and Payton is trying his hardest. He nearly caught a rabbit last week, would have if our yard was flat and open rather than with a garden smack in the middle of it, and was completely unbearable for HOURS afterward because he couldn't get over himself. Auggie also gets a swagger after killing something... he thinks he's hot ($*@.
Both love big dogs and wild, rough play. There's a lot of body slamming, throwing each other to the ground, throwing THEMSELVES to the ground, dive-bombing off furniture... Auggie had a reputation at doggy daycare for always picking the biggest, craziest, most obnoxious dogs to become his BFF for the day. There was a poorly bred Aussie who was ADD and none of the other dogs liked him because he was annoying. ADD AUGGIE = INSTANT BFF.

And then there's Pepper. LOL.

I agree with Grab that it's more about personality than group. People try to generalize and you can't. Don't forget that a Belgian Malinois is also a herding breed. Lack of prey drive...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I agree with Grab that it's more about personality than group. People try to generalize and you can't. Don't forget that a Belgian Malinois is also a herding breed. Lack of prey drive...
I agree that it can work with individuals but general rules do help.

I'm confused, are you saying mals lack prey drive?

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.