Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Top Dog

I worked in a place that trapped and killed. If it was violent in the trap, it was done. They adopted out some healthy and friendly cats. I don't know...I felt like they could live a semi-decent life if speutered and released. But then again, when I was delivering pizza, I came upon an abandoned trailer park with a feral (or not? some were friendly) colony and they all appeared malnourished...either starving or ill. Some would fight when I dumped food so I'm guessing starved. Actually I just remembered I have pics..I was trying to find help for them but was unsuccessful, and I moved.

My first cat was from another park with a ton of cats and she was FeLV+. On two occasions I dropped really sick cats off at the shelter to be euthanized because they were suffering in my yard. My cat only lived about two years and I found her dead one day unexpectedly. That really sucks...I don't know what the lesser evil is.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Top Dog

Of course I'd rather see a kitten taken and hand raised and found a super awesome home than euthanised...

BUT

I'd rather see a kitten taken to a shelter and euthanised than to be left out to continue breeding and harming wildlife.

I can't blame shelters, there is simply not enough resources to save every animal.

TNR is interesting to me. Does anyone have some good links about this? In what areas do they use it and how the approach has worked?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsi View Post
Of course I'd rather see a kitten taken and hand raised and found a super awesome home than euthanised...

BUT

I'd rather see a kitten taken to a shelter and euthanised than to be left out to continue breeding and harming wildlife.

I can't blame shelters, there is simply not enough resources to save every animal.

TNR is interesting to me. Does anyone have some good links about this? In what areas do they use it and how the approach has worked?
There's a great large group of animal people that feed, trap/speuter/release the stray cats. The kittens need to get bigger for that, though. They won't be able to speuter a couple-week-old kitten.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
A properly maintained feral colony should be TNRed and any kittens young enough to be socialized into homes (and any friendly older cats) ought to be caught and placed.
This seems a little idealistic to me. I know our shelter is just about tapped out, and certainly doesn't have the resources to even be TNRing at all, much less maintaining the hundreds of feral cats that are living in our county. And there isn't exactly an abundance of homes looking for even friendly semi-feral cats. Around here, you could park your car just about anywhere if you were looking for a new feline friend. The shelter just makes you pay for them.

The perspective that the article is taking is meant to address the immediate concern that a passerby would presumably have about the individual kitten that he has found. Your average citizen is not going to look at the whole big picture, and is not going to be okay with the reassurance that, "You can bring it to us and we will euthanize it so that it won't contribute to the problem of overpopulation any more!" Instead, they are saying, "Look, this kitten is going to be better off if you just let it alone."

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 06-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
A properly maintained feral colony should be TNRed and any kittens young enough to be socialized into homes (and any friendly older cats) ought to be caught and placed.
Um... where exactly do you expect to find these homes? Around here, there are tons of kittens just sitting in the shelter, because there are just no homes. And yah, I know that's not only the case here. It's the case in plenty of places.

Yah, it's easy to sit there and say what should happen. Trying to place cats that there is already plenty of with nobody wanting them is not so easy.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-06-2012, 10:22 PM
<3 my soldier

Quote:

We have feral/stray cats on my college campus (big wooded campus with lots of hidy spots), I guess students leaving pets behind when they leave? The local shelter comes out and does a TNR and feeds the cats when they can. I rarely see any "kittens" as they are mostly adults, none of them look too thin but they are very skittish, as soon as you look at them they hide in the drainage system.. They have "feeding stations" around the campus for cats where other predators and ants can't bother them. I haven't seen as many when I first started. When I first started the cats where EVERYWHERE, you would walk the paths and see 5 to 10 a day. Now, they are a little more scarce, maybe 1 or 2 a day.

Here is a brief article when they first put it into effect (when the cats where at their peak)

http://www.westga.edu/~cats/aboutus.shtml
http://www.westga.edu/~cats/tails.shtml
Old 06-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

The kitten I have is more than likely from a feral colony. I've seen feral cats out where I hike which is where I found him. He was alone as far as I know and the weather was calling for cold and thunderstorms that evening so there was no way I was going to leave him out there. Didn't just pass him off to a shelter either and while he wasn't super healthy I made sure he got the proper vet care he needed and I'm now fostering him though if Josh has any say he will likely become a permanent family member. I definitely don't feel like I did anything wrong by bringing him home.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 06-07-2012, 05:58 AM
and Fozzie B!

I live in California. Highly populated, tons of feral cats everywhere, and TONS of kitten come into the SPCA during kitten season. I'm on their kitten raising list, and have raised a few litters, but I haven't been contacted for a long time to raise a litter... I have to contact them, and get put on a waiting list. Go to the shelter and the vast majority of kittens are already reserved before they can be altered! The only kittens that are usually available are black, older kittens.

I know that lots of adult cats get euthanized, usually the sick and unfriendly cats. But kittens are snatched up! I don't see whyyyy anyone would just leave a kitten that's out in the open and alone. That single kitten and her offspring, left to be live feral, can produce 400,000 cats in 7 years!!! If that kitten is taken in, altered and adopted out, that can save THOUSANDS of lives and save countless dollars in TNR programs. To just shrug & give up because there's an overpopulation of cats is to continue the cycle of overpopulation.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 06-07-2012, 06:42 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Frankly, I think that's good advice, but maybe its because I grew up in the country. There were feral/stray cats around, and they'd often have kitten in our barn/storage buildings. Their existence would be taken note of, they would be captured: AFTER they were old enough to be away from their mothers. The kittens would go to the local vet (who adopted out cats) or given away . . . it was a different era.

But the point was that we didn't take the kittens away when they were little and needed a lot of care: we noted their existence and came back when they were older and could find homes. In a world of limited resources, that strikes me as a better approach than taking tiny kittens that neither their "rescuer" or the shelter have time to care for. Because that's what most people would do . . . they'd either take the kitten and it would die because they didn't know how to care for it, or they'd dump it at the shelter, which lacks the resources to care for it.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 06-07-2012, 08:51 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:

This.

Speaking as a home owner who's MORE than sick of stray cats, cats that have homes who let them roam, and feral cats, I don't want them neutered and released! My property is not their toilette or hunting ground.

I'd much rather see them taken in and put down PEACEFULLY than be poisoned, ran over, shot at, or tortured by mean adolescents. A swift end is much better than any of those things IMO.