Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Are you dead yet?

So much.

Eve in particular has taught me about partnership, respect and flexibility.

Before Eve, I never had such a profound level of respect for my dogs and their own personal comfort zone. There isn't much about her that demands respect, she isn't especially large or intimidating, but she has a sharp personality and a low tolerance for certain brands of bullshit. Unlike the far more patient, persistent dogs I've had in the past, Eve is very much like me - she's impatient and hates beating her head against a wall. If something isn't working, or she even THINKS it might not work, she drops it immediately and tries a different tactic.

She is flexible when it comes to my issues, and over the years I've learned to be flexible when it comes to hers. I have a feeling a lot of people who talk to me think I'm a terrible trainer because I bend to her strongest quirks rather than stay rigid and insist on perfection. I can't dispute that, all I have for them is the fact that she bends to my strongest quirks, too, without complaint or hesitation.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:01 PM
such sights to show you

I don't think I could even count all the things dogs have taught me over the years. So many important things.

But the best thing is how to be silly.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Top Dog

Oh god sooo much. Jackson is MY first dog. I grew up with dogs all of my life and always loved them greatly but there is something so special about a first dog.

He's taught me responsibility, patience, partnership, friendship, and unconditional love.

He's also the reason I got so involved with dogs in the first place - petsitting, and training, etc, and made me pretty sure I want to do SOMETHING with dogs in my life.

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

To work through things that slow me down vs just quitting.

And to turn around three times before I go to sleep
Old 06-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Top Dog

I really just can't pick one thing... I was born a dog person so my whole life has revolved around dogs and I just would not be the same person without that.

But Padfoot taught me that dogs love. Unconditionally. And that was wonderful.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Top Dog

More patience, more flexibility...I would say are the things that stands out the most.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Bite Club

Patience by far is the biggest thing I've learned. And the little things like a chewed up sock or shoe don't matter. I have also learned a ton about dog training, nutrition and overall care etc in the past two years.

~Aura & Riley~
Old 06-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Big Dog

I think this sums up pretty well what my dogs have taught me:

And also, if you happen to fart while in company, walk away like nothing happened.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Oh gosh, so many things. Especially when it comes to Teagan. We just compliment each other so well.

Mitsu is teaching me patients and how to deal with thing differently. To put it nicely Mitsu is not my kind of dog and we clash alot. Or more like i clash with her. I find her annoying, needy and too soft for my taste, but she is teaching me to learn how to deal with and accept her. She is a great dog and a loving dog. I'm learning to value her as who she is. Remember you don't always get the dog you want, but the dog you need.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 06-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Top Dog

Zander is my heart dog. For the last 7 years, he has taught me so much about myself, dogs, and life. He is my complete world, and I'm not really ashamed to say I revolve around him. He isn't just my dog, he's my partner, my companion, and my other half. I am his just as much as he is mine. We've been through so much together, ups and downs, and he's always been my inspiration to keep on going. I can't imagine what my life would be without him. Every day is something new, it's hard to narrow down the "best" things.

Love, Laugh, Live has never seemed more appropriate. And when in doubt, run to your nearest source of comfort. Or just run. There's nothing more fun in life than just running.