Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Put me in the would have had anything as a kid camp (and did), but now I'm very picky camp!!

Happy with dogs. Might own a cat, but unlikely as OH hates them.... Maybe chickens one day... Maybe guinea pigs... I'd like a goat or 2 one day
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Wookie Collie

Pets I would own/have owned:
dogs
cats
ferrets
small reptiles
hermit crabs

Pets I would not own/not own again:

guinea pigs (not for me)
venomous anything
snakes, except maybe a ball python
anything exotic (I know chins and ferrets theoretically count, but)
birds
chinchillas (Yuffie is not normal, and that's why I adore her. I could never have a chin like her again.)

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 06-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Top Dog

Honestly, I think the only animal we'll ever have going forward is a dog. DH and I are allergic to cats, and anything in a cage/tank doesn't appeal to me.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:36 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Would own:

Dogs
Cats
Ferrets
Rabbits
Rats
Fish
Guinea Pigs
Chinchillas (if I could figure out a way to stop them from throwing their poo out of the cage!)
Mini horse/Pot Bellied pig/Goat/etc

Wouldn't own:

Birds
Reptiles (MAYBE but not likely)
Probably not a horse, but maybe
Bugs (Centipedes, Roaches, etc)
Spiders (omg. Just...no.)

Anything else is a maybe (unless I've forgotten something) but not something I would seek out.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 06-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Mitch & Erin

I really want a bearded dragon.

I used to want an owl or octopus.

Oh and i gave a friend who had a prairie dog. It's adorable
Old 06-06-2012, 08:55 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I'd own a cat again if it was still like when I was a kid and they were indoor/outdoor animals. Our cat Rocky went in and out when he wanted, and we only had a litter box for when we were away overnight (and I'm sure he was ticked beyond belief to be in). I like cats, but I don't do litter boxes on a regular basis. And it is pretty much a "no" to let cats outside these days. I've also never loved the cats I've known who are indoor cats as much. Barn cats, indoor/outdoor cats - very different in my experiences than strictly indoor.
See, that's how I am, too. All of our current cats are indoor/outdoor. The girls prefer to be outside almost all the time except for very brief, "Let me in and pet me!!!" times. We tried to transition Lilly to an indoor home and she HATED it. She was trying to launch through windows, peeing everywhere, meowing non stop...so she's back here now as a happy outside kitty. Mikey and Apollo go in and out as they please. Apollo was raised indoors so he is only out for maybe 12 hours of the day/night, whereas Mikey was raised outside so he is only in for maybe four hours or so.

That's how I'd own cats if given the choice. Mike is allergic, too, so that's the only way it would work anyways. But I refuse to have cats that go outdoors if it is anything less than safe for them...so no main roads, no loose dogs, no dangerous predators, no cars, and they better have a safe/dry/warm/cool place to go if needed, fed regularly, given vet care regularly, and have a fresh supply of water.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 06-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Top Dog

I only really want ONE dog. Well, "I" don't want one dog, but my work, lifestyle and boyfriend choices made the decision for me.

Even that might be difficult, my OH and I like completely different kinds of dogs for completely different reasons...it's making it difficult to choose a dog/breed that will work for both of us.

I've had my fair share of rats, mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, ferrets, fish, geckos....I have no desire to own them again.

Cats...I'm on the fence, I love them, always had multiple, but don't really need to have one in the future.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Currently own:

Dogs
Sugar Gliders
Salt water fish and coral (Ian's)

Would Own

Dogs
Sugar Gliders
Fennec Fox (my favorite animal ever, and would LOVE to own one in the future)
Salt water fish and creatures
Snakes (possibly)
Crested Geckos (possibly)

Would never own

Hamsters/gerbils/mice, etc.
Birds
Chinchillas (had them before and the juice wasn't worth the squeeze for me!)
Monkeys
Cats
Guinea Pigs (allergic!)
Rabbits

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 06-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
My objection to salt water aquatics is entirely a moral one. I don't think it's right to take a wild animal minding it's own business- poison it- throw it in a baggie and fly it to the other side of the world to sit in a dentist's office or hotel lobby in the process killing 50% of the animals taken from the ocean. Currently about 90% of the world's salt water aquarium fish that make it to market are wild caught and most die a horrible death before even getting to a crappy petco tank. Not that there are any guarantees in the ocean - after all fish eat other fish all the time but certainly the ability to live their natural life cycle seems like it should be a given over living their life as a novelty item.

Definitely agree with you on that. I think that's why Petsmart refuses to stock saltwater animals?

My uncle has a giant saltwater aquarium which he stocks with with little dudes he picks up diving in puget sound. From what I can tell he cycles some of them out periodically. He did have an octopus for a couple years, but she was female so he found her a nice place in saltwater park and released her when she got mature. Since then he just sticks to fish and shrimp because it was impossible to keep tank mates with an octopus.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Behavior Nerd

So glad I'm not the only one with a blanket "no animals that poop in the house" guideline for pet ownership! LOL I do enjoy some house poopers, but maintaining litterboxes and cages is just not for me.

There are a number of animals I've considered owning that would stay outside and that's a bit different (horses, sheep, barn cats).