llamas
snakes
caged birds of any kind
salt water aquatics
invertebrates
cats
Old 06-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Taxiderpy

Kat, your post got me thinking. I've never had a desire for a salt water tank, but it would be kind of rad and interesting to live with an octopus. They're just so intelligent.

It's neat to see what everybody's answers are.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:54 AM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Kat, your post got me thinking. I've never had a desire for a salt water tank, but it would be kind of rad and interesting to live with an octopus. They're just so intelligent.

It's neat to see what everybody's answers are.
My objection to salt water aquatics is entirely a moral one. I don't think it's right to take a wild animal minding it's own business- poison it- throw it in a baggie and fly it to the other side of the world to sit in a dentist's office or hotel lobby in the process killing 50% of the animals taken from the ocean. Currently about 90% of the world's salt water aquarium fish that make it to market are wild caught and most die a horrible death before even getting to a crappy petco tank. Not that there are any guarantees in the ocean - after all fish eat other fish all the time but certainly the ability to live their natural life cycle seems like it should be a given over living their life as a novelty item.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:42 AM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Oh, I wouldn't have a sugar glider either. We have a strict "one vagina per being" rule here.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

I would own a:
Dog, obviously! Dogs will always come first, in priorities. I'll only add other animals when I have all the dogs I want.
Betta, obviously! They have individual personalities and can be some of the most gorgeous creatures on earth. I resent comparing them to plants. -_-
Horse, I used to lease horses. I really want a Norwegian Fjord.
Mini Donkey, my dream is to have a herd of Minidonks.
Goat, I love goats... I used to do 4H with goats.
Rabbit, they really remind me of cuddly, tiny horses. They're amazing!
Munchkin Cat, because they're super adorable and friendly. I have no desire to own a "cat like" cat.
Capybara, amazing! But I know I'll never own one.
Tamandua (Anteater), I know an awesome lady who has Anteaters and dresses them in sweaters. They seem so peaceful and awesome. I'm sure I'll never own one but I would love to.

I wouldn't own a:
Pig or cow, gross.
Cat, that acts like a standard cat. I don't care for clawing, biting, scratching up furniture/carpet, and scratching my dogs. And I would have a heart attack if I owned an outside cat. I like friend and family cats fine, but I don't want one.
Birds, getting bitten by a bird HURTS, especially a parrot and I find them unpredictable. Also attract moths and are gross to clean up after.
Reptiles, they just seem like they want to eat you. I can't stand the way reptiles move.
Fish, besides Bettas. I have a giant Goldfish named Enrique (who was tiny when I won him at the fair) and he's so brainless. I love him, but it's annoying to have to give him a huge, filtered tank. I find that most fish are too demanding and/or really stupid and just swim back and fourth.
Rat/mouse/hamster/rodent, they gross me out, even though they're cute and I know they can be good pets. Just not for me.
Guinea Pig, they're way too skittish.
Ferret, I loved our family ferrets, but they were always getting into trouble and they STUNK even though they were descented and got baths all the time. Ewwwy. They're amazingly smart, too smart. One of ours got out the back door, and I chased him all the way to a small hole in the fence and watched him prance around in the neighbor's yard. Just when I was about to go to their door, he came back through the hole and wanted back inside! Little d-bag! Our ferrets also broke into our leopard gecko tank and dismembered them, leaving body parts in little hiding spots around the house. UGH. Entertaining, but annoying, and they are definitely predators.
Hedgehog, yuck. My friend had one and his stomach was sticky!!! Wtf.
Chinchilla/Sugarglider, very very cute.... but too much work and special needs.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 06-06-2012, 03:43 AM
Blonde Raccoon

Would own:
•Dogs.
•Cats.
•Fish.

Would not own:
•Rodents of any kind.
•Any other kind of small animal like a ferret.
•Reptiles.
•Birds.

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:48 AM
Plus One

I would own:
Dogs
Cats
Horses/ponies
Goats
Fish
Chickens
Certain breeds of cattle
I would love a large aviary filled with canaries and such but that's more wishful thinking than anything else lol.

Would not have:
Anything that has to be in a tank/ cage, just because I'm lazy and hate cleaning them.
Any reptiles
Anything else lol
Old 06-06-2012, 06:32 AM
Top Dog

Would Own
Dogs
Cats
Freshwater Fish
Reptiles
Horses
Cows
Maybe goats

Would not own
Birds of any kind
Sheep
saltwater fish
Rabbits
Most small rodents - Not that I have anything against them, their lifespan is just too short.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 06-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

Personally, I'd own pretty much anything. I'm more of a fan of larger animals that I can interact with though.

I love rats, and to me they are way cooler then mice/gerbils/hamsters.
Hermit crabs.... I don't really see the point to them. They're not that interesting to watch and I have no desire to hold one
I mean, I could see myself becoming one of those people that rehabilitate or take care of baby lions, tigers... etc.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Kaydee

Let me think, now I'm older I get critters for me not for the kids...of course word to the wise for those of you with families just starting out-ANY pet you "get for the kids" is going to be YOURS more or less. Choose wisely, if you're actually uncomfortable with rodents or lizards or anything else don't let the begging and pleading get to you. Most children will not do full pet care till maybe ten years old.

The only critters I would not have are;
Rabbits- So sweet and adorable as baby bunnies then they turn into huge lean mean pooping machines, chomped the wood off a baseboard outside the cage too.

Snakes-I love rodents much too much to use them as food

Some animals I would definitely have;
Always dogs and cats
Rats are terrific!
Hedgehogs and Sugar Gliders are adorable, never had one though
Chinchillas are beautiful and can be tamed
Lizards-I would have a few in a natural enviroment cage. Very cool to watch.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:10 AM
My dog tickles my soul

This is a hard list for me. Really, I am open to mostly whatever when it comes to pets. Even the "probably not" ones I am still interested in... but wouldn't really seek out for various reasons.

Definitely yes:
Dogs
Cats
Sugar gliders
Snakes
Rats

Probably no:
All other rodents (why bother when there are rats?)
Ferrets (always wanted one, but wouldn't fit our household)
Chinchillas (same as ferrets)
Birds (same as ferrets/chinchillas)
Saltwater Fish (like the idea, but the investment is huge for a non-interactive pet)

Definitely NOT:
Spiders (*shudder*)