Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Okay; Bernese Mountain Dog Vs Smooth Collie?

This is mostly for those whose had experience with both breeds or at least some.

These two breeds are REALLY growing on me and I LOVE both breeds alot!
I need to know the differences between these two breeds and the pros and cons of each breed. Which one would you say is more friendly to strangers and which breed could you rely better on as a watch dog??? These two things are the most important things I need to know.

Mainly, I just want to know you experiences with both breeds.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Top Dog

I have a smooth collie... but I don't have much experience with berners.

My collie, Keegan, is both a good watchdog AND friendly with strangers. When we're out in public he LOVES meeting new people. When my friends come over to the house he's VERY happy to see them - even if he's never met them - and is instantly friendly.

I will say, though, that some lines of collies are a little skittish. When I was searching rescues for a collie that was the main problem I had: the dogs were wary of new people. But AFAIK collies are supposed to be pretty friendly, and getting one from a good breeder - as well as good puppy socialization - will stack the cards in your favor.

As far as being a watchdog, Keegan is very good in that his first response to anything different is to bark. He definately lets me know about ANYTHING going on in my house/yard. He has a loud, deep bark as well, which I think would scare away the bad guys. If you're looking for a guard dog, you might focus also on tri color collies, which are mainly black with some tan and white markings; people tend to be scared of black dogs.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halee.R View Post
These two breeds are REALLY growing on me and I LOVE both breeds alot!
I need to know the differences between these two breeds and the pros and cons of each breed. Which one would you say is more friendly to strangers and which breed could you rely better on as a watch dog??? These two things are the most important things I need to know.

Mainly, I just want to know you experiences with both breeds.
I had a Collie (rough but the temperaments are pretty much the same in the two varities) and like Lizzybeth said, Collies can be both good watch dogs and good with strangers. My rough was a big tri-colored boy and not as quite full coated as most show Collies but people were intimidated by him. Almost no one who didn't know the breed guessed him to be a "Lassie Dog" LOL I was often asked if he was a "Dobe something" mix and occasionally he was a "DobeWolf" LOL

It's true that dark colored dogs seem to look more intimidating to people, so either breed is good for that. I think either breed could be a good watch dogs and a good companion. I think it would be easier to find a good breeder of Smooth Collies who has relatively healthy dogs than it would be to find the same in Berners. Berners health wise are considered a "heartbreak breed" because of the extremely high risk of early (sometimes as young as 2 or 3 and often 5 or 6) cancer. Collies have health risks too, as does any breed but they aren't as prone to the life threatening, early age diseases as Berners are. If you can deal with the potential for a very short lifespan though, Berners seem like they could suit what you want as well.

What are your thoughts on grooming requirements? What activities do you enjoy doing with your dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post

My collie, Keegan, is both a good watchdog AND friendly with strangers.
This has been my experience with Collies too. They will bark and alert to strangers but once they're in the house, they'll be friendly. Out and about when there is nothing to protect, they are friendly and approachable. Berners I have known have been similar or not as good of watch dogs or much less commonly extremely serious guard dogs (as in, they would and did bite guests). So I think there might be a bit more variance in Berners than Collies temperament wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
I will say, though, that some lines of collies are a little skittish. When I was searching rescues for a collie that was the main problem I had: the dogs were wary of new people. But AFAIK collies are supposed to be pretty friendly, and getting one from a good breeder - as well as good puppy socialization - will stack the cards in your favor.
That surprises me. I have met a lot of Collies, both pet and show bred and can only remember a couple who were shy and one who had some aggression issues. The rest have been very nice, sweet, happy dogs - barked when people came to the door but then were happy to see them when they came in. I have not known shyness to be much of a problem with the breed, although I am around far fewer now than I was 10-15 years ago.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Active Pup

Bernese Mountain dogs are really increasing in popularity here. I've met a few at shows, and they were polite, although not all that interested in me. That's the kind of dog I like to own, really... one that will focus on me and not care so much about greeting every stranger. My main concern with them would be health -- they have such problems with cancer, even when they come from the best breeders.

Crystal the Papillon and Casper the Alaskan Klee Kai
Old 06-02-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm All Ears

The collies I've known in the training clubs haven't been shy per say but more spooky than anything. They all seemed very cautious to new things and we'd have to take a lot longer acclimating them to new equipment especially if there was noise (like the teeter/wobble board) involved. they seemed friendly with people though.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Top Dog

I have a smooth collie and he LOVES people. He is trained to ignore them when he's working, but when he's off-duty his favorite hobby is schmoozing people. The day I met him he had his face in my face the entire drive from the airport to the breeder, flirting away. He's never met anyone he doesn't like.

He can be a watch dog, too, and when he barks he can sound intimidating (but my boxer usually provides the intimidating factor). He is very alert to what's going on outside, but not so much that he barks at everything. A few nights ago some creature was in the back yard and Logan was NOT okay with it - he was upstairs with me in my room, and he roared at the window when he heard whatever it was.

Logan is an extremely confident, outgoing dog, but a lot of that has to do with how he was bred and raised. I got him at a year old, and his breeder did a FANTASTIC job raising him. Nothing phases him, and he passed his ATTS temperament test with scored mostly mid-range, which is for the most part minimal reactions to anything.

I flew halfway across the country to get Logan. The collies around here (central US) seem to be very poorly bred for the most part. I was dogsitting a bunch of collies last summer and they all had some sort of fear/anxiety/shyness issue. There are some great collies around here, you just have to look a little harder - and keep in mind that the smoothies tend to have a different personality than the roughs, just by a bit. There was one collie I dogsat a few years ago, a rough, and she was an absolute doll, but had a lot of health problems. Things to look out for are seizures (very common in collies), eye problems (specifically CEA and related issues), skin problems/allergies, digestive issues, and joint problems as they get older (though that's less common in collies than it is in many other breeds). Logan has very, very mild CEA, and it doesn't affect him at all. The only thing noticeably different is that he has red eyeshine instead of blue or green. Many, many collies have CEA but it's not always a problem and often causes no issues at all.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Little dog, big voice

Well, I can't say I have any personal experience with either, but my dad's girlfriend and her kids have an older year old Bernese named Winnie and she is easily able to go on about him for hours.

She describes him a total love bug who is pretty active and she says he's really outgoing.. the only bad thing about them is their shorter lifespan. She actually got him from a decent breeder.. but after the breeders passed on their property to their son.. the breeding program went downhill because the son took over. :/

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:46 PM
and Fozzie B!

I love both breeds, too! I hope to have at least one of each at some point in my life.

BMD's are AMAZING, adorable teddy bears!!! Omg. However, every single correct one I've met has been over the top friendly and gregarious. I've met a few that weren't outgoing & friendly, but they were very obviously badly bred and unsocialized, and were paralyzed with fear... not a suitable guard dog. Their size and bark would be intimidating. They have HIGH grooming needs, they'll get matted if they aren't brushed daily. They are great dogs, though, and I wouldn't doubt that a really well trained, bonded BMD would protect you if it came down to it.

Smooth Collies are so cute, gorgeous and athletic... and I have never met a Collie with an unstable temperament. I feel that they're a great breed for a new dog owner, as long as you're willing to provide a good amount of exercise, training and are dedicated to raising your dog right with immense socialization with people/dogs and bonding time with you. ALL of the Collies I've met are very friendly, moreso to their family, but they accept strangers easily. More than that though, they're trustworthy, intuitive dogs who just understand things that most dogs don't. They are awesome judges of character! I would have no doubt that a Collie would protect you, and they are alert dogs who will alarm bark. Most herding breeds make great guard dogs especially when they really LOVE their owner. Collies LOVE their owners and would do anything for them. I would consider them a more balanced dog, and although they're very goofy and fun-loving, more of a serious working dog than a BMD.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 06-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Collies LOVE their owners
Oh god yes. When I come home and let the dogs out of their crates, Gavroche runs downstairs to go outside, and Logan wiggles his butt and MUST say hi to me and rub all over me. In the morning when I get up Logan nudges me and rubs on me (like a cat almost), while Gavroche stands and stares at his food bowl lol.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
More than that though, they're trustworthy, intuitive dogs who just understand things that most dogs don't.
Yeah, seriously.... I'm still trying to figure out how much Keegan understands, sometimes it's a little baffling.

Very useful, though. My roommate's parents stayed at our house last night. This morning when I got up I was wondering if the parents were still in the guest room, if they were somewhere else in the house, or if they were out of the house. When I opened my bedroom door to go out and see, Keegan seemed to search very briefly, sniff the air, and then obviously determined that they were not in the house; I know because if they WERE in the house he would've run to go see them. But the whole process of locating them took literally less than a second (and the house isn't small!). Thanks, Keegs!

Also we went hiking a few weeks ago to this massive state park with tons of trails that branch off.... It's very easy to get lost. We were hiking along, and didn't get lost per se, but at the same time we weren't quite sure how to get back to the main path. So I gave up trying to figure it out and just followed Keegan. We were on little paths that I KNOW we weren't on before, he wasn't tracking our scent, but somehow he did get us back to the main path. I don't know what he was smelling, but HE knew, he was obviously quite sure where we needed to go the whole time. My friend kept calling him Lassie.