Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-07-2012, 10:08 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Default Tollers (NSTDR's)

This is a breed I really don't know much about, and when I was talking with a spaniel breeder she suggested them to me. The brief information I've managed to gather about them seems to be good (kind of like a mix of Cynder and Chloe, which is a good thing!), but I know the little blips I've read here and there mean nothing compared to personal experiences.

So, tell me about them! Anything and everything, from the basics to the random quirks they have.

I notice they are often classified as "reserved". What exactly does this mean? Although I really like goob dogs that love everyone (think butt wiggling Pit Bull goob), I don't mind dogs that have polite disinterest in people. I don't want a dog that shies way from people and/or is fearful, but I wouldn't care if I walked through a room full of people and the dog was perfectly happy to ignore them all and accept petting with an air of, "Okay, fine, whatever human, I'll let you pat me." That is how Cynder is and I'm just fine with that. What I don't want is a dog that cowers from people, or is skittish.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Top Dog

I am busy at the moment but I will give you a much more thorough response tomorrow morning regarding the breed, though I think if you search there are a couple threads about them already with good responses. But I'd be happy to tell you all about them again as there isn't much I like talking more about than Tollers!

But as far as reserved goes, yes, it should mean a disinterest in people that don't mean anything to them (ex. people that are not family or friends). That said, many Tollers are pretty friendly with strangers but just as many are unfortunately skittish and shy with strangers. Now that I've gotten to know more Toller people and breeders since getting Dance, it doesn't seem all that difficult to weed out the good from the bad and find a nice, stable tempered dog.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 06-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Ever heard the toller scream? If not go google. There are many here in agility. Crate them to walk a course.. Most scream, though not all. Awful noise, great as agility dogs.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 06-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Top Dog

And to be perfectly honest, I think the scream is overrated. Sure, it's there, but my Dobermans could put any Toller to shame when they're really frustrated about being contained. There's a discussion going on actually on a FB group right now about screamers and how many breeders like to discourage the behaviour (as it is not a good trait to have in the field). It's brought on by excitement or frustration... and many dogs of many breeds will scream and squeal out of those same things. Tollers do have shrill voices though, regardless of the 'scream'. Their barks are very high pitched themselves.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 06-08-2012, 07:49 AM
Puppy Dog

Ugh...they have the most annoying scream ever.
I was at a dog show recently and all I heard was Toller screaming.
I wanted to bash my head against the wall.
Noisiest dogs at the show.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Top Dog

I have met a couple that were shy/skittish and had nerve issues I also know one that dock jumps that is solid and really neat and does well. There is one in a local flyball team that we see at every competition and the scream...omg the scream. My fiance wanted one but I cannot deal with the scream. It's not so much the volume, it's how human it sounds!

ETA: I also think they are STUNNING and love the size/structure
Old 06-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I want a toller someday, I'm happy with reserved dogs, but I have been warned about the screams.

I could *not* handle my stafford foster and his noises though. I'm not big on stupid noisy dogs.

She says while owning two frustration barking mals. Lol

We don't have many tollers here for agility but we do have a puppy in our puppy kindergarten and omg I could steal it.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Top Dog

They've changed so much from the dogs I grew up with, they are smaller, finer and higher strung than the "Little River Duck Dog" of my past... I grew up less than a half hour from Little River and in the heart of where this breed was born... We owned and tolled with a couple and they are the neatest dog ever to watch doing their job!!!!

There are a couple members with stunningly gorgeous Tollers on here, and they likely know more about the breed today! I still call them Little River dogs like many down home do, so I am behind the times... LOL

ETA read the thread after and see Toller already replied!

Ps.... This scream? I never heard of it until I competed in agility, the dogs of my youth never screamed, ever that I remember! It seems counter productive to their job.. LOL

That said Mindy is a banshee at the side of a race track! I think their excitement at agility etc is not really their "True" nature all the time, someone watching Mindy at the side of a race track would think she's off her rocker unstable when nothing is further from the truth!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:52 AM
Top Dog

This is a video of the "10 Reasons Not to Get A Toller" list (wish the Toller in this was a bit more...fit though):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAY9h...eature=related

The list:
http://www.calibertollers.com/toller/topten.htm

When I first read that list years ago, I became intrigued by a Sporting breed who sounded kinda like Belgians. There are some obvious differences but quite a few of the 10 reasons not to get a Toller are also reasons not to get a Belgian. Which makes me think that Tollers are probably not at all a typical sporting breed. If a breed is described as cautious, aloof, wary, standoffish, distrustful, etc of strangers there is always a potential for dogs who are shy or weird about strangers because not every dog is going to fall exactly into the ideal, even in the best planned litters.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I want a toller someday, I'm happy with reserved dogs, but I have been warned about the screams.

I could *not* handle my stafford foster and his noises though. I'm not big on stupid noisy dogs.

She says while owning two frustration barking mals. Lol
Your Mals don't ever scream? Some Belgians of all flavors do. Out of over-excitement or frustration. Some just "yell" (loud, repetitive barking....Jagger has yelled so much he's made himself permanently hoarse). I have both kinds LOL