Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Default Another "Which Breed?" Thread

So like all crazy, masochistic dog people, now that my crazy-ass puppy has finally settled in and we've found our groove, it's time to start planning for ruining it with the next dog! LOL This will not happen for at least 1-2 years, but you know, it's never too early to start planning like a big weirdo.

So what am I looking for...

-Medium+ sized, 40-65lbs
-Social to neutral with strange dogs
-Social to neutral with strange people
-High food and toy drives
-High energy
-Barking is fine (what's one more?)
-Biddable
-Coat must be easy - no clipping/real grooming. Long coated is fine as long it's not burr and stick magnet. I don't mind brushing out or shedding, but no fine coats that mat or grow indefinitely, please.
-Deterrent appearance
-Territorial/protective is big bonus
-Physical health important, not just in terms of genetic conditions but also the ability to be fitted up and handle lots of physical work, so athletic as well
-AKC or at least UKC reg would be nice, as I really do enjoy my OB and there are no ASCA trials around here

Would be looking at OB, Agility, bitework if applicable and I have the time/money, herding if applicable, etc, and just about anything else I find interesting, so a versatile dog is a big plus.

Right now I have a few ideas floating... any flavor of Belgian from the right lines could work, maybe a Kelpie... I'm open to dogs outside of the herding group if they fit, as well.

Ready? GO!

Old 06-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Top Dog

Malinois

ETA: IF you can find a well-bred Dutchie they are a ton of fun. Huge, huge, big, IF though Unfortunately. I can give you my short list if I ever went back that route (doubtful).

Or a Kastle! He's only 62 lbs
Old 06-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
So like all crazy, masochistic dog people, any flavor of Belgian from the right lines could work
There...fixed it for ya.

If you're up for the insanity, a Belgian could fit your list. Aussie and GSD also come to mind.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Top Dog

One of my friends has two wonderful dutchies. I know she'd recommend her breeder!

http://www.dutchshepherds.us/
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 06-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

I must have some kind of crazy going on, because I've ruled out a couple of very applicable breeds for being, "Too nice" LMAO

Old 06-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Top Dog

I'm just envious of anyone whose in a position to GET a young dog right now!

ENJOY your search!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 06-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Top Dog

Elsie's a Terv, and she sounds like she could fit what you want. She only weighs 38lbs, though. Her dam is 45lbs.

She likes new dogs once she meets them, but doesn't like, go BANANAS to get to them or anything. When we've been charged by off-leash dogs, she's responded to them as threats though.

She doesn't like strangers. She's 100% fine walking through crowds, next to people on the sidewalk, riding in elevators with them, being looked at--but she doesn't have any interest in being touched by them, and her inclination is to duck out of the way. She has a command 'go say hi' which means 'let them touch your head once,' and she doesn't seem to find that stressful or anything.

She doesn't have super high food drive; like she won't work for kibble unless she enjoys the game we're playing. She'd do almost anything for a green bean, go figure, and she would kill someone for a toy (any toy). Zoey, who is her cousin, thinks food is THE BEST, and would do anything for one piece of kibble, so there's some variation in Tervs.

She's high energy, for sure. Zoey's a little more mellow, but still absolutely willing to get up and go. Zoey's a barker, Elsie isn't (I grew up with a sheltie, so 'barker' is relative, lol). She's extremely biddable, and extremely very hugely handler-soft.

Since Elsie's adult fur has come in, she hasn't gotten a single mat. Burrs fall out of her fur with the comb, and I only have to brush her about once a week. I brush her more than that because she's a pill about it, and we're working on it.

People are scared of her when we're out and about. She looks bigger than she is, which is nice, and everyone thinks she's a GSD, and GSDs are mean, donchaknow.

I forgot my keys once when no one was home, and I hopped the fence. When I pulled open the back door, Elsie came charging into the bedroom from the living room, low, fast, teeth out, and silent. I said something like, "It's me, doofus," and she skidded to a halt and thought it was the greatest joke. I have no doubt she'd nail a stranger who came in uninvited. She watches the neighbors, and doesn't make noise at them, but when they have guests, she'll fuss at them until I tell her to knock it off. She barks at guests if I don't tell her to shut up.

I know of Tervs/Belgians that are still active in their early teens. Elsie's pretty well muscled for the amount of hard exercise we get, and she's fast and enjoys working.

Talking to people with Belgians, they can be quirky dogs. Elsie went through a phase from about 8 months to 12 where she was just... weird. Barked at random crap for no reason, didn't want to listen (but then melted if I snapped at her), wouldn't let strangers touch her, had meltdowns if stuff was happening outside the car--but we just kept doing what we were doing, and she seems to have smoothed out. Even at her worst she's a pretty cool dog. She overthinks stuff, too, which can be irritating/hilarious, depending on the situation. She spooks sometimes, which isn't a huge problem for me, but I know a lot of people don't tolerate that in their dogs. She's never refused to get over something that scared her, but sometimes it takes a couple moments.

I really like her, obviously, lol.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
I must have some kind of crazy going on, because I've ruled out a couple of very applicable breeds for being, "Too nice" LMAO

I like you.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
One of my friends has two wonderful dutchies. I know she'd recommend her breeder!

http://www.dutchshepherds.us/
THAT'S the breeder I would recommend here in the USA!!! She is WONDERFUL and has lovely dogs!! (that is not who I got my DS from...)
Old 06-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post

I like you.

Well so far it seems like you guys a pushing for something that's either Dutch or Belgian... LOL