Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Top Dog

Default People who are on medications..

How do you remember to take them...
I NEVER thought this would be a problem. The pills I take are the easiest part of taking care of myself, and I've always remembered them! Now that I'm not with my immediate family, the family im with doesn't know anything about my treatments or pills, etc. So nobody ever brings up my meds and then I never remember either.
I don't know what to do! Like right now I'm wondering why I'm so anxious and depressed, and I realized I haven't taken my anti depressant in 3 days.
This is not good!
Help me out, fellow pill poppers
Old 06-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Twin 2

They do make pill organizers that have alarms on them, that might help. Or if you don't want to get one of those set the alarm on your phone and have it go off daily.

But that would be the first step, getting a pill organizer and putting them in there for the week/month or whatever. If you have different pills that you take at different times of the day a week long one would be best, but if you only take some at one time of day I would do a month one. That way there isn't any forgetting to refill it once a week.

Then put it somewhere you are every day and make it part of your routine. Next to your tooth brush, under your coffee cup, next to your glasses etc. Something that you can count on doing every day no matter what. And don't do the "Oh, I'll take them when I'm in here next, oh later. Just do it. Make it a habit.

I work at a pharmacy and if 90 years olds can remember to take their pills so can you!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:48 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I can't even remember to take my sleeping pill... and by the time I'm like, "crap I can't sleep why didn't I take my pill"... it's already too late and I don't have enough time to sleep left so I can't take it.... and I keep it right by my bed WITH a bottle of water.

The best luck I've ever had with remember is what Linds says. I put them in an organizer and that went over my tea box... so when I made my tea in the morning they were there.... but sometimes I skip my tea bc I'm running late... so maybe I need a new place?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

alarm on phone set it , with a reminder set for an hour later.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I use the alarm on my iphone.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Wookie Collie

All of my supplements are on top of the microwave, I get them when I make food.

The rest of my one-a-day meds are in the bathroom I do my morning routine in. After brushing my teeth, I pop the three pills.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 06-04-2012, 06:06 PM
...ice road...

One of Ruger's duties as my SD was to remind me to take my medication. He'd either alert me or bring it to me (depending on where I left it :-/). He's retired from public access, but he still alerts me if he's with me. If not... yeah, I usually don't remember... lol I've tried setting an alarm.. but then it goes off while I'm doing something, and I'm like, "Oh! As soon as I'm done, I'll take my medication..." Uh huh. Think I remember that? No. LOL
Old 06-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Top Dog

I have one of the little pill dispenser things (where there's a box for each day of the week) on my night stand. It's hard to get into the routine of taking them, but once I do it's not usually too bad!

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 06-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Top Dog

I keep the bottle out next to my computer, and take it with my coffee in the morning.

I get extremely cranky and feel awful if I don't take it, though, so I usually remember later.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:03 PM
just call me Nilly

I have a list clearly made list of what, how much and when, to make sure I don't miss anything, and iPhone alarm is a lifesaver.

That and just knowing that it's important, and desperately trying to remember!

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010