Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 01-14-2006, 06:02 PM
rottiegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
She did say that and she said that it's not her decision and her mom still wants to do it. It's not her dog.
That is very correct. I cant control my moms decisions.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Big Dog

zoom, they can start graying as early as 1 year old.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottiegirl
Well here is a different stud that my mom is considering. Does he look ok showpug?
No, not for breeding. Your mom also needs to consider the result of breeding a fawn to a black. If she does so, she will probably end up with pups with smutty fawn coats that have too much overlay. The only reason breeders generally cross colors is if their fawns are lacking pigment or are too light. Breeding to a black will help improve pigment where it's needed, but you always run the risk of ending up with the smutty coat which is VERY undesirable in the pug world. I would have to look again, but your Mom's pug is not lacking in pigment if I remember correctly and she's not a light fawn. Plus, black pugs are generally single coated while fawns are double coated. That is the way it is suppose to be. When you cross colors it is possible to end up with single coated fawns.

As far as the conformation of this stud goes, it's not good. His contribution in the breeding world will not improve the breed. He is too roached in his back, his shoulders are not under his body and he has horrible wall-eyes. He is also lacking in depth and fullness of wrinkle. His lips are hanging instead of full, tight and round. You are right, his ears are too long as well! I hope your Mom reconsiders what she is doing. Pugs are so overbred now that it's really sad. Take your Mom to a dog show, so she can get a feel for the breed and try to discourage her from contributing to the puppy population instead of the betterment of the breed.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:47 PM
rottiegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug
No, not for breeding. Your mom also needs to consider the result of breeding a fawn to a black. If she does so, she will probably end up with pups with smutty fawn coats that have too much overlay. The only reason breeders generally cross colors is if their fawns are lacking pigment or are too light. Breeding to a black will help improve pigment where it's needed, but you always run the risk of ending up with the smutty coat which is VERY undesirable in the pug world. I would have to look again, but your Mom's pug is not lacking in pigment if I remember correctly and she's not a light fawn. Plus, black pugs are generally single coated while fawns are double coated. That is the way it is suppose to be. When you cross colors it is possible to end up with single coated fawns.

As far as the conformation of this stud goes, it's not good. His contribution in the breeding world will not improve the breed. He is too roached in his back, his shoulders are not under his body and he has horrible wall-eyes. He is also lacking in depth and fullness of wrinkle. His lips are hanging instead of full, tight and round. You are right, his ears are too long as well! I hope your Mom reconsiders what she is doing. Pugs are so overbred now that it's really sad. Take your Mom to a dog show, so she can get a feel for the breed and try to discourage her from contributing to the puppy population instead of the betterment of the breed.
Thanks for your advice. I will let my mom know. I had no idea that it was bad to breed fawn to black.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:03 PM
bullie lover

Wow. I've learned a lot about pugs. I agree with everyone else, outside of dog shows, I've never seen a pug that was even remotely standard.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottiegirl
Thanks for your advice. I will let my mom know. I had no idea that it was bad to breed fawn to black.
It's by no means "bad" to breed a fawn to a black, but you need to be aware of what could result. Clean color is very important in the pug breed. When you cross colors, the black can make the fawn smutty and the fawn can make the black coat too dilute with red undertones. Many top breeders do cross colors and it's safe genetically, but they do so with a reason in mind, like adding pigment, adding blacks to their line etc. It's not just done because that is the only available stud. There are some instances where the fawn stays clean in the pups, but that depends on what colors are behind that pup on the pedigree etc. I would consider breeding my bitch to a black because she is fairly light, but I would probably search for a clean fawn with tons of pigment first.