Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 12-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Top Dog

Good job, Showpug.....not knowing twat about pugs, I've learned something. My 1st take was the look in Missy's face and eyes...she looks stressed for some reason. Could this be the reason for the greying ? Rottie, you've handled this post very well. Does your Mom have the book " How to Raise a puppy you can live With "......??? She may change her mind about breeding . ( Get it at Amazon used for her stocking from your dog.)

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-07-2005, 07:18 PM
rottiegirl

Quote:
Good job, Showpug.....not knowing twat about pugs, I've learned something. My 1st take was the look in Missy's face and eyes...she looks stressed for some reason. Could this be the reason for the greying ? Rottie, you've handled this post very well. Does your Mom have the book " How to Raise a puppy you can live With "......??? She may change her mind about breeding . ( Get it at Amazon used for her stocking from your dog.)
I dont know why missy would be stressed. she has a great life! she goes swimming almost every day, which she loves. those pics were taken on thanksgiving night, so she was probably tired. I will suggest the book to my mom, becaause i am sure she doesnt have it.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Top Dog

Default Hijack

OK, I apologize for hijacking the thread, but Showpugs, since we are talking breed standard, can you tell me how Bruzer compares? He's fixed and nothing more than a loving companion, but I'm interested in seeing what you have to say. He is very active and physically fit from playing with Gunnar and running around a lot every day. He's rock solid and weighs about 23lbs. He was close to 30 before we put him on a raw food diet and probably 26-28lbs in most of these pics, so he's a good bit thinner now, I swear, he looks "ripped"

I'm just curious, you won't hurt anyone's feelings by being frank! Here's a couple different views.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL
OK, I apologize for hijacking the thread, but Showpugs, since we are talking breed standard, can you tell me how Bruzer compares? He's fixed and nothing more than a loving companion, but I'm interested in seeing what you have to say. He is very active and physically fit from playing with Gunnar and running around a lot every day. He's rock solid and weighs about 23lbs. He was close to 30 before we put him on a raw food diet and probably 26-28lbs in most of these pics, so he's a good bit thinner now, I swear, he looks "ripped"

I'm just curious, you won't hurt anyone's feelings by being frank! Here's a couple different views.

Hi Dan,

I would be happy to tell you how I think Bruzer compares to the pug standard. But, I must put my disclaimer out there, that I truly love and adore ALL pugs! When I say what I say, it's just from a conformation and breed standard standpoint so please, don't take it personal. I know that even if a pug doesn't fit standard very well they are still loved companions and worth just as much as any pug that fits standard well. So... I would never want your feelings to be hurt by what I say. I will also urge you as a pug owner to visit this link. It is a great way to learn about the standard and it is illustrated, so it's is easier to understand than a written standard. http://www.pugs.org/index5.htm Make sure to really take some time and read it all. It's very interesting and very correct. So, back to Bruzer!

I will start with how he doesn't meet standard:
*He has an incomplete nose wrinkle. If you look closely, his nose wrinkle starts on each side of his nose instead of a heavy fold that is complete.
*He is lacking depth and heaviness of wrinkle over his entire head.
*His face is not flat enough. A pug's head, when viewed from the side should be completley flat.
*His body and legs are too long. The pug should be short backed, sqaure and cobby.
* His tail curl is loose...the tighter the better.
* He is too big for the breed. A male should never exceed 18lbs. Pugs are lap dogs and this is very important.
*His front legs are easty/westy - in other words, his front feet point opposite direction. A pug should be straight up and down.
*His color is smutty with too much balck overlay. The fawn coat should be clear with only the mask, trace, toe nails, moles and eyelashes as being black. His black is all over his face and even into his neck/chest.
*His head in general is a little small for his body. With this breed you are looking for proportion and balance. T
*He is lacking in neck arch and lenght.

Here is what I do like about him!
*He really gives nice pug expression and attitude. I can tell by looking at him that he fits the breed standard for temperment and expression. He has good breed charisma!
*He has nice black velvet ears that the standard calls for, but they are rose shaped instead of button and the standard prefers button ears.
*His topline is fairly level.
*He has the nice very dark eyes that the standard calls for.
*He has a nice broad chest.
*His tail, although loose, does curl over the hip.

Anyway, hope this helps. It's what I could tell from the pictures provided! No doubt you have a very special boy though.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:16 AM
My pets love me they do

Showpug you are the best, I dont have a pug but enjoy seeing yours and hearing about your shows. Those examples of the politically correct pugs were just do darn cute. It is great to come accross someone who really knows her stuff WELL DONE

PS BTW your babies are still just to darn cute

Old 12-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Top Dog

Thanks showpug, I'm glad you took the time to comment on our little man! And don't worry, you did not hurt my feelings- if we had obtained him for show or breeding, I'd be upset, but he is purely a pet for us. Compared to his parents, who were fat and slovenly, he looks like a king to us!
Old 12-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogsLoveMe
Showpug you are the best, I dont have a pug but enjoy seeing yours and hearing about your shows. Those examples of the politically correct pugs were just do darn cute. It is great to come accross someone who really knows her stuff WELL DONE

Thank you for the nice compliment! This has been a fun thread for me and a great opportunity to talk about my heart breed. I have never met a pug I didn't love. I prefer a well-bred pug that conforms to standard, but I have a rescue pug at home and he has a TON of conformation flaws. I love him just the same! The problem is, is that in my opinion, breeding should only come from the best of the best and by very experienced and knowledgeable breeders. When this happens, fewer pugs end up in rescue. All the responsible breeders I know require a puppy be returned to them therefor eliminating any of their dogs from rescue or shelters. I just like to see the breed as a whole handled with care and if I feel like I can take an opportunity to help educate I will!
Old 12-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Twin 2.0

Seeing your pictures and reading the critiques has made me realize that I don't think I have ever seen a 'standard' Pug. Ever. My friend's Pug Buddha may be the closest, but he's fat enough it's hard to tell. And I haven't seen him in a while.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:08 AM
Taco Dog

I, too, don't think I have ever seen a standard.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 12-08-2005, 01:10 PM
no touchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogsLoveMe

Ditto
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.